Thumb Strengthening

Evan Raftopoulos

also for dynamic thumb exercise it felt pretty good today using the cff adjustable super vice gripper (similar to ivanko super gripper) There are so many levels that you can adjust it to (Easy for crushing but challenging enough for pinch grip) and you can also use your other hand to stabilize the gripper on the other end.

Here is a non-isometric thumb exercise I have been doing lately, see attached picture I'm sure it has been done before, but call it the jelly fish:). Basically you reach out with your fingers and dig them into the ground, then pull/drag the weight forward toward your fingers with your thumb. There is no eccentric component to this exercise so you can do a lot of volume. Good for active recovery.

Definitly going to try that one, thanks for posting it!!

Nice hub lift Evan

Jon@han

Man this topic made me wanna buy the ttk and yes I bought one. Let's see where will it get me as I haven't train it ever. I am sure it will be highly beneficial to me.

• Like 1

thanks Jonathan. I didn't expect to do as much on the hub but I expected to do more with the RB 3 inch handle because I was under the impression that I did 200 pounds (False grip) isometrics on a cable machine http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=44127&p=635441. Perhaps the machine wts are all off or the angle of the lift makes a big difference, I have no idea. I also ordered a 60mm one which is supposed to be as thick as the rolling thunder. I was hesitant of getting a rolling thunder after hearing some guys having issues with it.

Man this topic made me wanna buy the ttk and yes I bought one.

lol my bad for starting it. I see me getting one too eventually.

• Like 1

the silvis v2 scissor gripper seems to be good for thumb strengthening as well

11168468_912524022102320_540633158955428

Rolling Thunder definitely do wonders for thumbs, at least it did for me.

Have you tried blob lifting, or hex dumbell lifts, is it good for strengtheing of the thumb? I have two home made dumbells that I've trained like this with, I'm not sure if it did much for the thumb in particular but it definitely helps the overall grip.

TTK is probably the best, I haven't tried it yet but I will do in the future for sure. Pinching, RT etc is a lot of static training for the thumb, it's probably best with some variation.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a non-isometric thumb exercise I have been doing lately, see attached picture I'm sure it has been done before, but call it the jelly fish:). Basically you reach out with your fingers and dig them into the ground, then pull/drag the weight forward toward your fingers with your thumb. There is no eccentric component to this exercise so you can do a lot of volume. Good for active recovery.

Nice idea buddy!

if you attached another chain and clip you could work the other thumb the same time.

I like the TTK, I love my TTK clone. Want to work those thumb I believe that is the route to go down. Reps and negatives.

I really need to add some meat to my thumbs.

ive never trained the TTK for long because i always got joint pain.. which then spoils my other grip training.

what would you recommend for a complete beginner? i would have thought negatives are too much?

whats your general approach? do you do low weight high reps, or a heavier weight with a low rep range?

also, which i think is important to touch on because its not discussed too often.. what ROM do you work with?

i found going too wide, or going too narrow (which i think may be worst) really aggravates the thumb joint.

thanks in advance :)

Jones,

I would do hi reps for 2-3 sets (ie 20 or greater reps) at 1st especially since you've already experienced joint pain from the thing. When I use the TTK I also prefer to put my thumb on the top moving bar vs the bottom.

Jon@han

Jones,

I would do hi reps for 2-3 sets (ie 20 or greater reps) at 1st especially since you've already experienced joint pain from the thing. When I use the TTK I also prefer to put my thumb on the top moving bar vs the bottom.

Jon@han

cheers buddy.

ill stick 2 maybe 3 high rep sets at once a week first. 'slow and steady wins the race'..

"Square Wrist Roller" - Had to share this. looks like its well worth a go. Might rig one up tomorrow and see what its all about.

TTK!

Jered, stop wasting beers !

• Like 1

I've been looking for a pinch block but tried this setup today and it worked OK (Still looking for a block that I can attach on a cable machine ):

photo%2528120%2529.JPG

it's 4 x 2.5 lbs plates attached on a strap loading pin

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

Bump.

Jared, would you mind sharing how you trained with your TTK throughout winter? winter is not a long time training considering your driving your thumbs through beer cans.. im sure others would be interested aswell.

also, when did you train the TTK? after grippers, or .. ?

Thanks in advance. :)

• 3 months later...

I made this back when I was dirt poor and in college. It allows you to exercise the thumb from rarely used angles. Obviously the frame (chopsticks) would make this a poor device for low reps, but for prehab, dexterity and overall thumb health I have not found anything else that mimics it.

• Like 1

Been using a harbor freight spring clamp with rubber bands, 30 reps at a time or so.

It seems to work both palm pads at the same time. Bend your thumb just enough to hold on to the handle, it may be uncomfortable on the joint if you try to bend it during the close, or even to close the clamp all the way. Notice pinky position, keep it straight but touch the side of the clamp.

post-24053-0-52269600-1446855031_thumb.j

Dynamic thumb training, I have learned, will do more harm than good long term. The gains (as measured by eg 2HP performance) are more CNS related than anything else and will run out of steam. Injury will prevent any long term benefits.

I was doing gripper closes pinch style (injuring my left thumb base on a regular basis) but others, eg Martin Arildsson, injured their thumbs using the TTK. Martin is a former WR holder in the two hand pinch (before we had weight classes).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

What I'm describing is more like folding your hand in half but with resistance. It doesn't feel right at all if you try to bend your thumb during.

I don't recommend any dynamic thumb work these days. Simply too easy to overload the joints. You often get very rapid gains to begin with before the injuries show up. My overall grip strength has gone up significantly since I stopped doing dynamic thumb work. Initially there was a very marked drop in eg the 2HP and 1HP before the absence of the previously constant state of more-or-less low grade thumb base injury began to outpace the drop in CNS efficiency (from previously being able to train the thumbs several days a week). It feels like I am building strength again rather than optimising the CNS by frequent but damaging dynamic thumb work.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

Good isometric is to pinch your desk and see if you can pull yourself closer in an office chair. Careful with wrist position. My desk is 1" thick, slick on top and a little more grip on the bottom. Good if you're bored at work with no equipment.

• Like 2