Race To Mm0 (2015)

Evan Raftopoulos

No big deal man. My first MM0 attempt a few years back got 2 reds.

I've found the most challenging aspect (other than getting strong) to be filming.

I think you'll get it soon Evan, keep at it.

• Like 1

That's my failed attempt from 2012. Set was a bit too deep and the close wasn't visible enough if I remember correctly.

Kinda frustrating because at that time I was smashing my GHP 7 with a wide set consistently. Even on tape. But I think the "official" aspect of a cert video also contributed to some of my failures.

For instance, I could block set a GHP 7 with ease, in the house or out in the yard, but I could never do it on camera when I was designating it as an official cert attempt (measuring the spring and spread, etc). I got nervous for whatever reason.

• Like 2

3 red flags.

based on the feedback I got

1. set is way too deep

2. I'm bracing against my leg and the gripper also disappears during that time

I think I rushed it for the MM0 but I'm not regretting it. I'm gonna go back and start training where I left off before the #3 attempts. I was doing 40mm block sets and MMS closes with up to 130 pound grippers( 2.5, ghp6, rb 210). Now that I have the CPW RB grippers (132, 135, 140, 142) I will train with those for a while and try to MM0 again when I feel strong enough to do a strong and clear MMS close like Sam and Simon did.

Head up man, go back to your comfort and practise getting the closes on video, thats a challenge in itself! I would have never attempted the MM0 if it wasn't for this thread! Keep it up and you will get there

• Like 1

3 red flags.

based on the feedback I got

1. set is way too deep

2. I'm bracing against my leg and the gripper also disappears during that time

I think I rushed it for the MM0 but I'm not regretting it. I'm gonna go back and start training where I left off before the #3 attempts. I was doing 40mm block sets and MMS closes with up to 130 pound grippers( 2.5, ghp6, rb 210). Now that I have the CPW RB grippers (132, 135, 140, 142) I will train with those for a while and try to MM0 again when I feel strong enough to do a strong and clear MMS close like Sam and Simon did.

Strong close buddy. As Josh mentioned, do you always use or legs to set the gripper? If yes, you should definitely start setting the gripper by using your chest muscles. If you haven't seen this video on how to set a gripper by Paul Knight you should do so, it's the best video out there.

I'm thinking the same about MM1, I will not stress in to that, I'm just gonna take the time it takes because I don't want them to send the gripper when I'm not fully ready. You will get this cert in no time Evan! :)

• Like 2

Josh, Justin, Sam, Simon: thanks for the support and encouragement guys, it means a lot. Also thank you to the judges that took the time to review this and for the feedback.

Josh and Simon, I’m not sure if I always set grippers this way or just with this one because it’s hard for me to set it otherwise. I think I just need to get stronger lol. Also I need to get better at setting grippers in front of a camera. I’ve seen Paul’s vid, I will watch it again now.

Justin, thanks man, I also find that there is a difference between closing grippers and doing it in front of a camera. I need to review the rules again for parallel set. I think to be safe I need to set the gripper just a bit wider to parallel set and be closer to the camera the whole time, like what Gil did for MM1(that dude is crazy strong). That will take some time.

Josh, Justin, Sam, Simon: thanks for the support and encouragement guys, it means a lot. Also thank you to the judges that took the time to review this and for the feedback.

Josh and Simon, I’m not sure if I always set grippers this way or just with this one because it’s hard for me to set it otherwise. I think I just need to get stronger lol. Also I need to get better at setting grippers in front of a camera. I’ve seen Paul’s vid, I will watch it again now.

Justin, thanks man, I also find that there is a difference between closing grippers and doing it in front of a camera. I need to review the rules again for parallel set. I think to be safe I need to set the gripper just a bit wider to parallel set and be closer to the camera the whole time, like what Gil did for MM1(that dude is crazy strong). That will take some time.

Maybe this will help you. This is my MM0 attempt. Took me a few tries to get the angle and shit right.

http://youtu.be/wR_cK1Vombs

• Like 3

Maybe this will help you. This is my MM0 attempt. Took me a few tries to get the angle and shit right.

Chez did a video on this subject. Pretty helpful :)

Edited by greppstark
  • Like 1

thanks EJ, mm0 with 155.6 gripper is very impressive! It maybe as difficult as mm1!

I noticed that before in your mm1 cert : you are actually standing behind the camera right? Are you using a tripod? Where is your elbow in space? Is it tucked in or more to the side? Thanks man.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

Camera is on a tri-pod. I am standing directly behind it. My arms are extended out in front of me. And the camera is low and pointing toward the ceiling. That way the set and close can be seen without any glare or shadow.

I used that gripper because I hate the feel of a CoC. I did have a #3 that was a few pounds lighter, but I hate the way they feel. The mm1 is a little harder than this gripper. But easier in the hands because of the knurling

Edited by EJ Livesey
  • Like 2

Chez did a video on this subject. Pretty helpful :)

I remember watching that vid when I first started closing grippers couple months ago. At that time I found it even funny that someone did a vid just for that, but now I fully appreciate the advice and its value! Very helpful, thanks for sharing it here.

• Like 1

Camera is on a tri-pod. I am standing directly behind it. My arms are extended out in front of me. And the camera is low and pointing toward the ceiling. That way the set and close can be seen without any glare or shadow.

I have to try this. For most videos I've been using my phone camera supported with a cup or something at the edge of a crappy coffee table. I have a small tripod for my GoPro camera maybe I'll figure out something to bring it higher. The only thing is that I won't get any feedback while I'm doing the close, I have to trasfer the vid on a computer to be able to see it. I could be wrong but I imagine that if I extend my arms even a little bit I will lose some power. I'll try it and let you know, thanks bro.

I used that gripper because I hate the feel of a CoC. I did have a #3 that was a few pounds lighter, but I hate the way they feel. The mm1 is a little harder than this gripper. But easier in the hands because of the knurling

I remember you mentioning this about the coc. Good to know the difficulty level and how the MM1 feels compared to other grippers.

Best way I have found for filming closes is place my phone on a table thats just above waist height and put it onto front facing camera so you can see yourself on the screen, and then go for it. you can move your hand toward the phone as you close it to get a good close up, and because you can see yourself on the screen there's no chance of you missing it.

• Like 1

Best way I have found for filming closes is place my phone on a table thats just above waist height and put it onto front facing camera so you can see yourself on the screen, and then go for it. you can move your hand toward the phone as you close it to get a good close up, and because you can see yourself on the screen there's no chance of you missing it.

That's exactly how I did it on my MM0 certification. Works perfect

I remember your last vid, that was with your phone camera? It looked very clear/high quality.

btw we have the first two finishers of the race already but the race is not over. Since this is the 2015 race it will end December 31st 2015. At the end of the year I will post a list with the finishers in order. Those who decided to join but don't mm0 by then will get kicked out of the gripboard. Just kidding of course :) but this will hopefully help people stay motivated to keep squeezing. Keep posting your progress guys.

Here was my most recent attempt at my 131lb. #2.5:

Edited by Buccos1
  • Like 1

nice man, I think you also need to work on the filming part/angles, couldn't see the parallel set or the handles clearly touching. edit: sorry just heard you mentioning the mm from closing. Thanks for posting!

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

Thanks! I know my filming of grippers sucks. LOL (Bending … I had down to a science, but not much luck with filming/documenting gripper closes.) But, I just started doing some filming and am going to try to practice getting into good positions where it is easy to see everything. Aside from a few "milestone" closes, I never bothered much filming grippers. Watching the video, this looked a few mm from clicking. Once I finally get this one, my #3 will be in sight at least. :grin:

• Like 1

thanks EJ, mm0 with 155.6 gripper is very impressive! It maybe as difficult as mm1!

I noticed that before in your mm1 cert : you are actually standing behind the camera right? Are you using a tripod? Where is your elbow in space? Is it tucked in or more to the side? Thanks man.

I use a Joby Tripod and recently bought a phone attachment and put it on my worktop and point it down. I found that natural light is better for clarity (as long as you have a sunny day) and I stand on the side. I've tried to stand behind it but find it difficult as it gets in the way but everyone to their own. If i use my phone use the front facing camera or if using a camera/camcorder I flip the screen out . . . so I can always see what the device is recording.

Practise with your lighter grippers to get the best angle and position and I'm sure you will all nail it!

Great effort!

• Like 1

I use a Joby Tripod and recently bought a phone attachment and put it on my worktop and point it down. I found that natural light is better for clarity (as long as you have a sunny day) and I stand on the side. I've tried to stand behind it but find it difficult as it gets in the way but everyone to their own. If i use my phone use the front facing camera or if using a camera/camcorder I flip the screen out . . . so I can always see what the device is recording.

Practise with your lighter grippers to get the best angle and position and I'm sure you will all nail it!

practicing with a wide angle lens camera on a tripod (Standing behind it like EJ). I still need to adjust the lighting or maybe face away from the windows, but the positioning/angle is much better.

practicing with a wide angle lens camera on a tripod (Standing behind it like EJ). I still need to adjust the lighting or maybe face away from the windows, but the positioning/angle is much better.

Much clearer view of the handles now Evan, just practise this on heavier grippers and see if you can still get the set on camera using your hands

thanks for the feedback brother! That was my CoC 4.

I wish :grin:

I will give it a try this week with my 2.5 and see what happens.

• Like 1

Evan

That video was much much better.

• Like 1