Why Is No One Closing A 4?

mobsterone

I gotta admit that I haven't really read through this thread very well...mostly the title. Additionally, whiskey has more than a little inspired this post.

A: CoC#4's are being closed...just not to the latest standard of CCS.

B. CoC#4 CCS has never "officially" been done. (Apologies to Nathan Holle who could probably do so if given a reason to.). This is why "no one is closing A 4?".

C. I believe Chez will be the first to Cert. the #4...not because is is stronger than a very few people on this board, but because he has a realistic long range plan to do so. (Apologies to Johnathan Vogt and others whom has not yet publicly shared such a plan.) It's likely Chez will Cert. the #3.5 this Fall...and the #4 nearly 2 years from that date. Not because he couldn't sooner...but because he is cautious.

D. Chez will cert the CoC #4 10/19/2017...give or take 60 days.

E. Provided I'm alive...I intend on Certing the #4 two years from then...10/19/19...just need to get this pesky Gold Nail Cert out of the way first. There is absolutely nothing wrong with making a long range plan and following through. No BS...just frkn wrkn yr ss ff.

• Like 4

Beer is my smelling salts.

• Like 3

IMO whoever closes #4 CCS for cert should get $500K. It should be live on TV as well.

I would be willing to donate 20 bucks to a fund governed by gripboard for that purpose. Now we need only 2499 other donors.

Math is off.

Oops. Now we need only 24998 donors (after Evan). Not a big deal considering the great popularity of the sport amongst the masses.

I think I should have included 'cos they don't think they can'. I'm simply astounded at the lack of self belief some have displayed... wow! Let's start with a little history. Joe Weider et al used to have predictions in their magazines every so often - either written by themselves or others., Often other writers and 'experts' would do the 'no on will ever clean and jerk 500'. Joe was one of the few that got some seemingly crazy stuff spot on.

Equally, I've had GB members (some time ago now) contact me regarding their own efforts and state 'I'll never close a 3 like you' to which my first thought was 'no you won't, not with that attitude'. In giving advice, coaching in person and at the odd seminar or exhibition I've had guys instantly do better - instantly! Why?? Because I changed their attitude. Not just on grippers but a bunch of lifts. I'm reminded of Arnold's 'don't be afraid to fail' because it meant you were trying. But to think of failure without trying? WTF??

Given that guys HAVE closed a 4 from both the deepest set, to MM sets, to wider sets and have nigh on closed one with a CCS it's a question of millimeters. I'd go so far as to say that those two guys on the video above have done it. Why try and cert if they hadn't. There;'s no damn way I'd try to cert without knowing I'd done it before, sans camera or witnesses. I know I'd get torn a new one if I said I had without proof so I'd need to cert to prove it. And (I only watched the 2nd) he was damn close.

On that basis it WILL be done. Don't make me come to your little gym and shout and kick your ass into getting your target hit. Cos if I did you'd have one hell of a workout. But if you did your thing all 'it ain't gonna happen'... show me your butt for the kicking it'd need. At the very least have a damned go and be of the mind 'let's see' rather than defeated before the gripper, whathaveyou, has been picked up.

• Like 13

For those who own or have rated #4s, how much do they vary?

Mine is 218 rated by CPW

Andrew Durniat is another fellow who has done some impressive stuff on grippers. And has shown the CCS strength with a #3.5 cert. A quote from Andrew from another thread:

My block set was a #4 at 206.6 and my best choker was a #4 at 224.27#, both in competition.

Dang :ohmy

So, in theory they could range from 190 to 220+ brand new out of the package?

In theory. On that basis I'd train to close a 220 and hope for a 190. It's that or go home.

• Like 2

So, in theory they could range from 190 to 220+ brand new out of the package?

I could see 220, but not 190. I have not heard of a GR8 #4 ever going that low. And again, the lowest CPW has seen out of the package was 206.

I was just curious as I could see the process being skewed to make sure someone who isnt an IM fanboy getting a 220 and whoever IM wants to see as being the first new #4 closer under the credit card rules getting a 190 to 200...

I only use an adjustable gripper and I think the highest rated gripped I have close is around 160, so I am no expert, but there seems to be a huge difference between 200 and 220.

I was just curious as I could see the process being skewed to make sure someone who isnt an IM fanboy getting a 220 and whoever IM wants to see as being the first new #4 closer under the credit card rules getting a 190 to 200...

Theoretically speaking they could hand pick a hard one and give it to get packaged, in whatever manner the new ones are packaged. In practice - are you serious? You can of course go to IronMind subforum here or to their own forum and just ask. It's a matter of trust, and if you don't trust them, well... I don't know what to say. I'm confused.

I absolutely do not trust them one bit. Nothing to be confused about.

OK, I thought I might have misunderstood you. Then I just don't share your view. I hope that's OK, too, even if I don't have evidence.

Thats the great thing about America. We all have freedom of speech. Opinions are like buttholes, we all have them.

I will say this, with my recent research of local steel, and machine and fabricating shops, I can build adjustable squat stands that will hold a ton easy for about $200. Maybe I could sell them at a 400% markup. Its like owning a McDonalds, I just couldnt sleep at night.

http://cannonpowerworks.com/pages/grip-strength-ratings-data

Of the 18 new grippers we've rated, the average is 210. The highest was 216 and the lowest was 204.

Anthony's must be rate and return or purchased after March..?

Yes sir, Rate and Return.

It's a gr8 spring.

Seems unlikely.

If nothing else we've established it wont be Riclk then lol

• Like 1

Don't you think the rules for certification are a bit steep?

I mean, being a certified #4 closer has to do with luck also, first you have a set of rules then suddently the rules changes dramatically :huh:

So being strong in the right time really does matter. I feel that certification on GHP grippers are far more interesting and relevant.

If someone would certify on the CoC#4 that performance would rank much higher than the other five.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Fist of Fury

OK, I thought I might have misunderstood you. Then I just don't share your view. I hope that's OK, too, even if I don't have evidence.

I had three failed Certifications, all with Strossen picking the gripper. The ratings on them were 156 (estimate), 154 (Cannon measured), and a very wide 159 (Cannon measured). The last one was after I became an IronMind Moderator. I certainly didn't get any special preferential treatment, No question in my mind that R. Strossen wanted me to get certified, as having a geezer to parade around as a poster boy would sell more grippers. He could have picked a gripper with handles with a more narrow spread, but didn't. I am not buying Rick's point in post #64.

I haven't owned a #4 in many years. But I rated a couple dozen of them when I had an RGC at the house. Lowest was 196lbs and the highest was Jason Payne's 252lb monster. Seems like most of them fell in the 215lbs to 225lbs range.

Tell me it ain't so - grippers vary?? :)

Sorry I couldn't resist.