138 Pound #3 From Cannon!

silverbackgrip

I don't mean to be too much of a skeptic, and I realize a meeting with Jedd is already upcoming, but shouldn't the video close also include the opening of the gripper?

crude lingo incoming = silverback is about as genuine as a prostitutes kiss. all doctored videos. was on here and the Ironmind forum . still talking DUNG. big mouth , no action.

I don't mean to be too much of a skeptic, and I realize a meeting with Jedd is already upcoming, but shouldn't the video close also include the opening of the gripper?

crude lingo incoming = silverback is about as genuine as a prostitutes kiss. all doctored videos. was on here and the Ironmind forum . still talking DUNG. big mouth , no action.

it's entertaining. And if someone is being dishonest, that's their problem. Enjoy the videos. A 138 #3 close is not some call the press amazing thing. Lots of us here cod no set that gripper.

Yeah... But it's a training video, right? That's the "cloud of doubt" coming through. I felt it too. It will be nice after he meets with Jedd. All things considered, that's a pretty dang solid close.

Here is something else I think about a lot:

I, 160# Matt Cannon, can no set that same gripper down to about 1/4". I did before it shipped. I destroyed it with a ~25mm set. DESTROYED in a way that would embarrass your mother. I underwrite mortgages for a living and we spend a lot of time talking about "reasonableness". Does this income make sense? Does this janitor make $76k per year? He's been there 26 years. Is it reasonable?

I have no business closing #3s. My wrists get sore when I do push-ups. I have arthritis. I can't grow a full beard. But I can crush #3s?

This gripper is a #3, yes. But it's a daisy to be sure. Euclides at 6'3" 290 with que ball thumb pads has every right no-setting this gripper. It's reasonable. It's a training video and he shut the gripper and it makes sense and it's actually only marginally impressive for someone that size.

I'm ready to just watch the show. No outlandish claims are being made so far.

Completely agree with all that you said, Matt. I was actually thinking more towards future videos as opposed to these current videos. Also, I mentioned the meeting with Jedd because this would lend much credibility, if this meeting does in fact take place. I didn't want to come across offensive in any way, I was simply thinking of the after-effects of the opening of the gripper not being shown in a far more well-known video from the past.

This gripper is a #3, yes. But it's a daisy to be sure. Euclides at 6'3" 290 with que ball thumb pads has every right no-setting this gripper. It's reasonable. It's a training video and he shut the gripper and it makes sense and it's actually only marginally impressive for someone that size.

Very true. Not to take anything away from this close because its a very good close, but I'm a little shy of 6'2" and weigh 260-265 and I could rep that gripper TNS no problem. i am also not trying to sound arrogant and boast about my own ability. I am only trying to add prospective. You can see from the vid it wasn't an easy close for him. Its a believable close for someone his size. If the crazy progress occurs like last time, I will start getting skeptical. I have been training hard for over 3.5 years now so I have a better understanding of what is reasonable progress than I did when he was first big on the board.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

That's good, because with all the flipping of the video, not showing the gripper properly, not showing the opening properly etc. it would not pass. I would not even submit it to the judges.

The Video in post #1 has him opening the package, the second video shows the stamp clearly and a second close.

Actually it doesn't show the opening of the package and by my count the video has about 10 "cuts and splices".

If you look at the video, the cuts and splices make me scratch my head because where they are in the video make no sense. Which is why it would never quality for the MM0 as a viable video. Put the hoopla aside and film a straight video per the rules and submit it to me for judging. End of story.

what kind of camera are you using? the focus was really good on the second vid. was it the same for both vids? bc, I couldn't read the 3's at all in the first one.

still thinking about buying a new camera...

I think the cuts were for narrative purposes only. He said that the first video was just an unboxing video for entertainment purposes only.

Edited by jmatney

If you look at the video, the cuts and splices make me scratch my head because where they are in the video make no sense. Which is why it would never quality for the MM0 as a viable video. Put the hoopla aside and film a straight video per the rules and submit it to me for judging. End of story.

This video was an unboxing video. Not a MM0 submission vid. There are cuts in the video because I got rid of the dead space between my words to make it flow better. There are also some cuts to enhance the comedic timing. That's video editing 101 for an entertaining YouTube vid. Its the same type of editing I do for my clients and its used in 99% of YouTube accounts that are successful.

When I submit a MM cert, I will follow the rules to the letter and have 0 edits in them. But like I said before, the first vid I uploaded was an unboxing vid, nothing more.

The problem with grip videos is that unlike benching 405 pounds and clearly seeing the four 45 plates on each side, us gripsters must do all sorts of adjusting with the camera to get the grip stamp in focus... etc. This results in a 3 min+ video full of heavy breathing, grunts and basically boring footage.

I just want to make fun videos that will bring new people to the sport of grip that wouldn't normally have been brought here and while some of you don't like my editing/bravado (which is 100% fine)... a lot of people clearly do.

To be honest, I could continue making vids that only feature me closing weak grippers and I would still garner the most attention. This is because unlike 99.999 percent of grip videos out there, I put some personality/good editing in my vids.

Obviously that doesn't sit right with some people.

I don't mind the criticism, that's what I deserve. I was closing big grippers and didn't want to show up to any contests/grip training sessions until the Arnold Classic (wanted to foolishly build suspense) and then my training injury left me unable to prove my claims/feats on video or in person.

I'll meet with Napalm, followed by me submitting a rule-abiding MM0 vid and then hopefully at least some of this drama will blow over.

2i1gkdf.jpg

Edited by Euclides
  • Like 3

There are plenty of us here with more than enough personality to go around. But the sole purpose of making a gripper vid is more in line with documentational (is that even a word?) purposes. if i want to laugh, im gonna watch some old Bernie Mac skits.

Lol, did you just say that there is only one reason to make a gripper video?

Edited by Euclides

There are plenty of us here with more than enough personality to go around. But the sole purpose of making a gripper vid is more in line with documentational (is that even a word?) purposes. if i want to laugh, im gonna watch some old Bernie Mac skits.

I'm with Tommy on this one, there's not much to making a gripper video (some are good, others bad). Recording a video should simply note where your progression falls at or if you are attempting a certification.

If I want entertainment, I'll look else where for it.

Yes. Do people actually surf gripper vids for entartainment purposes?

Can't say I've ever done this at any point and I don't think I'll start now.

Just an FYI tho.. Id love to see you do well in grip. But even if/when you do, its gonna take time before that old rep is forgotten.

ah yes... the old rep of recording closes and nobody being able to say how I cheated... just, you know... that I must have somehow cheated.

Edited by Euclides

do people actually look up people bench pressing or doing any strength activity for entertainment purposes?

Something like that..

We can take it from the top, i guess?

Ill start with a whopper.

Did you close a legit, untampered with GHP9? Or was the vid of your GHP9 close a fake? If so, how was a hand so powerful (as to close a gripper that no one else had closed at that point) bruised by a #4 so bad that you couldnt even close a #1 afterward?

Correct me if im wrong on any of that.. It has been a couple years since all that went down and ive slept since then.

smh... I hate arguing with people I actually respect. I could tell you the perfect answer and you still wouldn't believe me. I'm gonna save everybody a headache and just keep my head down, certify on each COC gripper as my strength comes back.

Edited by Euclides

do people actually look up people bench pressing or doing any strength activity for entertainment purposes?
None that i can recall. I definitely dont. If im watching a bench press vid, its because a world record has just been broken, and someone got it on film. Otherwise why would i sit and watch vids of dudes lifting weights?

And lets take that one a bit further, just for topic's sake- if i DO decide to watch a world record bench press vid, or something else equally incredible, i dont care to see a vid of someone clowning around, and then the camera not showing the actual weight while its being lifted.

Your assuming that because you don't watch something... that the rest of the world doesn't either. How do you explain thousands of people buying Ronnie Coleman DVDs? And youtube fitness personalities are making crazy money just by people watching them.

Im done arguing.

But on some real ****... I hope you close dat Gold Nail son!

Carl-August Merz demolishes his #3 cert authoritatively with both hands in front of two cameras and a preeminent IronMind judge: 183 views, 16 comments. Silverback closes the equivalent of a rusty GHP 6: 1200 views, nearly 50 comments.

• Like 4

I've always been a fan of Silverback, but it seems like the solitary nature that the sport sometimes lends itself to leads to things like austerity and humility being valued over showmanship and ego.

On the other end of the spectrum you have guys like Laine Snook who are incomprehensible strong, yet more humble than us guys still at somewhat beginner levels.

Well, to be honest. I think 1100 out of those 1200 views are just here for the drama. The Iromind forum is a textbook example of how threads with real substance gets ignored while the soap opera like threads gets thousand upon thousands of views.

It's not surprising on views on this thread. Has anyone really looked at YouTube these days and the millions of followers some people have? And, they are making literally millions of dollars for goodness sakes too. It's ridiculous. For example, in the fitness industry you have people who are outright clueless on training, look like absolute horse crap with little to no muscle and more that are making significant money putting up videos on YouTube. That is the world we live in today.

• Like 1

Another question, why was the opening of the gripper not shown?

Ok if this was Juha or anyone else I would've have no doubt. But Silverback?! Hey we all remember Timmy (Hi there Sam! :rock). Mr. Silverback I don't believe your Ghp 9 close in the past. Comon you expect people to believe it and the weird #3.5 close that at the end it had a weird movement on it?

Anyway, in my opinion, since you asked Jedd for a meet up I guess this close is legit. You have been building strength since you claimed you were injured in which I believe. People do mistakes so np tell us you did those closes for entertainment purpose only. I really wish you can close a BBE when you meet with Jedd. I really wish too for you to cert on the #3, #3.5, and #4. Also MM ladder. But first meet Jedd, prove yourself, and then go ahead!

I really wish you the best.

Another question, why was the opening of the gripper not shown?

Ok if this was Juha or anyone else I would've have no doubt. But Silverback?! Hey we all remember Timmy (Hi there Sam! :rock). Mr. Silverback I don't believe your Ghp 9 close in the past. Comon you expect people to believe it and the weird #3.5 close that at the end it had a weird movement on it?

Anyway, in my opinion, since you asked Jedd for a meet up I guess this close is legit. You have been building strength since you claimed you were injured in which I believe. People do mistakes so np tell us you did those closes for entertainment purpose only. I really wish you can close a BBE when you meet with Jedd. I really wish too for you to cert on the #3, #3.5, and #4. Also MM ladder. But first meet Jedd, prove yourself, and then go ahead!

I really wish you the best.

I honestly never understood the unpacking thing. Seriously, how hard is it to fake such a thing if one would want to? How hard is it to make a #3 feel like a #1? I never really understood the mash monster cert either, to be completely honest. Wouldn't it be pretty easy to fake the whole thing if you really wanted to? Please tell me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong my friend. If you read my post well you would've seen I said I believe in this close. I said I never believed in Ghp9 close or the #3.5 which he claimed in the past.

Edit: MM certs makes the perfect cert. All is on video and a witness if he likes. Same gripper goes to all people. MMS set but can use wider if he wants to. Simple!

Edited by Alawadhi

You are wrong my friend. If you read my post well you would've seen I said I believe in this close. I said I never believed in Ghp9 close or the #3.5 which he claimed in the past.

Edit: MM certs makes the perfect cert. All is on video and a witness if he likes. Same gripper goes to all people. MMS set but can use wider if he wants to. Simple!

That's not what I meant. I just meant in general, when people say it's not legit if you don't show the unpacking of the gripper. I mean, how hard is it to open the package and put a "fake gripper" in that package, and then unpack it in front of the camera?

Same goes with mash monster certs. You make your own similar looking gripper. Your own stamp on the handle/handles, looking the same as the original. Spring may be the same size but you cut into the spring, a millimeter or two, on both sides where it meets the handles. Or some other way to make it way easier to close. Then you open the original package and just switch the grippers, and repack it in a way that nobody can't tell you've already opened it.

This exact method might not work out perfectly, but I'm sure there are other ways to do it if you REALLY want to fake the whole thing, or am I missing something that's you just CAN'T fake in this process?

Edited by Norden