Gripper Training Advice

Evan Raftopoulos

Try to use hose clamp, fix it to parallel and try to close the gripper. I think you are able to close it like that. You don't waste your energy to setting the gripper.

When I was 5mm away from closing #2.5 I used same method, did single reps with hose clamp on from parallel. After 2-3 weeks #2.5 was closed with setting it with other hand.

is that how you do choked reps? I'm getting me one today, thanks brother, I love this place.

I closed the #3 after a month of choker work! Shut it to a few mm and work it open gradually through training.

• Like 3

I closed the #3 after a month of choker work! Shut it to a few mm and work it open gradually through training.

thanks for sharing bro, this is so motivating to hear. The determination of the members here is phenomenal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just most of us need some break.

Just thought that grippers every day will be painful soon.

J.

That's very reasonable. I'm OK with soreness, but if it starts going beyong that then I'll try to take a break. I'd love to hear from people who've been through rehab from overusing grippers.

and so it happened, I developed some pain in my r palm after practicing closing my ghp 6 (rgc 126) two days in a row. I wanted to get a good vid of doing it (my camera skills suck). Not a big deal though, I can still do everything else in the gym, did rack deadlift 454 pounds yesterday and didn't bother me at all. it's just the pressure from the gripper handle on the distal corner of the palm that is causing some irritation (the lift is big deal to me -I just started doing heavy lifts

).

Got a new 2.5 rated 128 and RB rated 130 and can't wait to close them, but for now I'm just training with my left and I'm happy it seems to be catching up. The nice thing with grippers is that if you wish to train a few times per week then you can train one hand only each session, and that allows the other hand to recover. I'm still learning.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos

update: pain in my r palm is mostly gone, I'm lucky that it lasted only for a few days (it started in the middle of last week), will give it another 2 days and go heavy on grippers with my r again. Hopefully what happened helped the tissues in my hand adapt and get tougher.

update: pain in my r palm is mostly gone, I'm lucky that it lasted only for a few days (it started in the middle of last week), will give it another 2 days and go heavy on grippers with my r again. Hopefully what happened helped the tissues in my hand adapt and get tougher.

Be careful with the grippers, the harder they get, the more easier is to hurt yourself. Yes, like you said, you can do everything else without palm pain, but as you hit grippers in no rest time, pain will come back to you in gripper training. Leave grippers alone for a few days.

Good job on rack deadlift!

J.

Look into a product called DMSO.

• Like 1

Be careful with the grippers, the harder they get, the more easier is to hurt yourself. Yes, like you said, you can do everything else without palm pain, but as you hit grippers in no rest time, pain will come back to you in gripper training. Leave grippers alone for a few days.

J.

Thanks for the advice Juri. I don't think that what happened was a big deal really. Of course I say this now because I'm pain free. I couldn't wait and closed my 2.5 and rb 210 today (rated 128 and 130). This is the best video I got but the recording is pretty bad especially for the coc as you can't read clearly the 2.5. By the time I figured out how to change the lighting I've alredey closed the 2.5 a few times and was too tired to record again. Will take a better vid next time.

Good job on rack deadlift!

thank you, it felt great, my goal is to try 500 within the next 2-3 workouts. I should start wearing a belt though.

Look into a product called DMSO.

Thanks, I have no idea what this is but I briefly looked it up and it seems to be a controversial product. Will look more into it for pros/cons.

Edited by Evan Raftopoulos