My Rgc Rating Device

Jared Goguen

So I made my own RGC rating device and tested it out today, pretty I tried to copy cannons rating process as close as I can. The only main difference was the strap, mine is 3/4" and I placed it at the end of the knurling on the handle where the two handles would touch. All of the grippers were clean and oiled as well. Also all of the weights, pin, strap, carabiner, and PVC spacer were all placed on a calibrated scale on a hard surface

Here's some photos of it along with my numbers Vs. Cannon's.

Me Cannon

• CoC S 40 37
  • GHP3 72 74
  • CoC #1.5 83 84
  • Master 91 95
  • GHP4 95 97
  • CoC #2 102 102
  • CoC #2 104 106
  • CoC #2.5 120 122
  • CoC #3 135 139

As you can see my numbers are the same or a bit lower, I'm wondering if it's my process or if its because these grippers have seen a fair amount of use since his ratings.

Currently I have three un-rated tettings that I plan on rating and then send to cannon for co-rating.

Any way’s I just thought I would share and I don't plan on submitting any of my own numbers to the RGC thread for sometime.

FbQrtAM.jpg

27rRrSp.jpg

• Like 10

How you lower the weight on the stack can influence the rating. Within a couple of pounds is normal when I'm rating grippers as well. You can re-rate them again a different day and see what you get.

Sweet looking rig.

Good looking rig!

The strap goes at the end of the handle, not at the bevel. I don't know how this confusion ever got started, but somehow it's being passed along despite my tenacious efforts to correct the misunderstanding. Dave and Greg's original article clearly states the strap is aligned with the end of the handle. It's always been end of the handle, NOT at the bevel.

The width of the strap does matter. 1" straps are very very common and you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

Finally, thank you thank you thank you for not reporting decimals :D. Have you weighed your weights though? Some of the difference could be there if you have not. It's not uncommon for a 45# plate to be ~2lbs off.

edit: now I see that you did weigh your weights.

• Like 4

Looks great, man. I dig that paint job. Bet it looks good on the TTK, too.

• Like 1

Great work, looks awesome!

Thank you!

How you lower the weight on the stack can influence the rating. Within a couple of pounds is normal when I'm rating grippers as well. You can re-rate them again a different day and see what you get.

I guess that was something that I wasn't really factoring in.

Good looking rig!

The strap goes at the end of the handle, not at the bevel. I don't know how this confusion ever got started, but somehow it's being passed along despite my tenacious efforts to correct the misunderstanding. Dave and Greg's original article clearly states the strap is aligned with the end of the handle. It's always been end of the handle, NOT at the bevel.

The width of the strap does matter. 1" straps are very very common and you shouldn't have a problem finding one.

Finally, thank you thank you thank you for not reporting decimals :D. Have you weighed your weights though? Some of the difference could be there if you have not. It's not uncommon for a 45# plate to be ~2lbs off.

edit: now I see that you did weigh your weights.

Thanks!

Noted! The strap goes at the end and not the bevel. I guess that could account for my numbers being a few pounds low.

I have not weighted all my weights yet but I do have a freight scale that you can calibrate with a 500g weight and then I was just weighting the whole stack. I think ill pick up a 1" strap and re test these grippers in a few days.

Also its like a workout in of its self doing a lot of ratings, can't believe you have done this 1500+ times.

Looks great, man. I dig that paint job. Bet it looks good on the TTK, too.

Thanks, I have far to much black and grey in the gym.

• Like 2

Thanks!

Noted! The strap goes at the end and not the bevel. I guess that could account for my numbers being a few pounds low.

I have not weighted all my weights yet but I do have a freight scale that you can calibrate with a 500g weight and then I was just weighting the whole stack. I think ill pick up a 1" strap and re test these grippers in a few days.

Also its like a workout in of its self doing a lot of ratings, can't believe you have done this 1500+ times.

..and the 1500+ is only new grippers for the store. Never mind the Rate and Return orders and the 6+ years of rating I did prior to opening the store! If there is one thing I've learned, it's that there is going to be a margin of error with this process no matter what. If your numbers are off by 1# that's really dang good. Our current process at CPW is pretty sophisticated, but still not perfect. We've honed our rating process and redesigned a few elements that don't directly affect the gripper, mostly to speed up the process and remove variables and also make the work tolerable on my back.

• Like 2

Excellent work, Rusty! It seems grippers have lost some of their appeal as of late and I'm really happy someone took the initiative to make an rgc. Looks like damn good quality work, as well.

• Like 1

Excellent work, Rusty! It seems grippers have lost some of their appeal as of late and I'm really happy someone took the initiative to make an rgc. Looks like damn good quality work, as well.

Thanks, this is my quick and dirty setup cause I wanted to weld and it was scrap, I think the a crane scale and a ratchet setup would be better.

Dude that looks really good.

• Like 1

If I'm even remotely close on my rating system I ended up with the weakest Elite.

If I'm even remotely close on my rating system I ended up with the weakest Elite.

Generally that's an indication something is wrong. Sure, it's possible you happen to have a crazy outlier, but it's just not usually the likely answer. How does it feel in the hand?

Did you sew the strap into a circle?

Generally that's an indication something is wrong. Sure, it's possible you happen to have a crazy outlier, but it's just not usually the likely answer. How does it feel in the hand?

Did you sew the strap into a circle?

It feels no where near the 160's.

I got close to the same numbers on all four ratings on it. 140, 141, 140, 140

I'll be sending you three grippers, including this elite.

Edit: Also that strap is a climbing gear leash that comes in a circle like that.

Edited by Jared Goguen

For the Elite, check the spring wire diameter. It may be a BBGM spring. Warren is known to have put the wrong handles on occasionally especially in recent years. I have at least a couple at home that were mismarked.

- Aaron

• Like 2

For the Elite, check the spring wire diameter. It may be a BBGM spring. Warren is known to have put the wrong handles on occasionally especially in recent years. I have at least a couple at home that were mismarked.

- Aaron

Truth. We had quite a few that were stamped wrong in the past 6 months.

.281 Grand Master

.293 Elite

• Like 1

- Aaron

.281 Grand Master

.293 Elite

The Master I just got was a mis stamped Super Advanced.

• Like 1

- Aaron

.281 Grand Master

.293 Elite

Do you mind measuring it perhaps? The mail man already came and took the box away.

- Aaron

.281 Grand Master

.293 Elite

Do you mind measuring it perhaps? The mail man already came and took the box away.

Can do.

So, have you made any grip equipment yet?

I wouldn't mind owning some Old Rusty equipment. Just sayin.

• Like 1

So, have you made any grip equipment yet?

I made my own TTK which is bigger, more solid then the Ironminds, Olympic sized loading pin rather then standard, and I feel like the angle on it is better.

I have a few ideas for a blob trainer and my own grip machine that will incorporate pinch into it.

This Monday I plan on getting to the steel yard and picking some stuff up.

No plans on selling anything as of yet, I'm just messing around.

LlNwP7l.jpg

Edited by Jared Goguen
  • Like 6

What a great company name.
  • Like 1

What a great company name.

Yeah I might just take that!

Using a 3/4" rather than a 1" strap will effectively move the moment of force 3.2mm closer to the end of the handles, you could continue to use the 3/4" but just allow for the offset...that said it would be less faff to just use a 1" strap.

The fact you were sat on the bevel, naturally offset it by a couple of mm, meaning you were probably about a mm closer to the handle ends than you ought to have been, this looks to be reflected in the numbers.

Bevels/chamfers will vary wildly in size, this is why they shouldn't be used for alignment purposes!

Using a 3/4" rather than a 1" strap will effectively move the moment of force 3.2mm closer to the end of the handles, you could continue to use the 3/4" but just allow for the offset...that said it would be less faff to just use a 1" strap.

The fact you were sat on the bevel, naturally offset it by a couple of mm, meaning you were probably about a mm closer to the handle ends than you ought to have been, this looks to be reflected in the numbers.

Bevels/chamfers will vary wildly in size, this is why they shouldn't be used for alignment purposes!

Yeah I know now to use a 1" strap all way at the end of the handle.