Inch Dumbbell Training

Bill Piche

I'm sorry but I have trouble imagining a deloading system that would allow the most problematic portion of the lift to still have an effect (the spin of the globes). I think that most who would attempt a pull with the inch would be able to pull that much weight on a smaller handle. The only thing I can think of for a deload system which might help would be a deload platform with a pair of rollers to set the inch on. So that when you pull it, it can still rotate to the weak position. Dont know if that would work or not but seems reasonable in my head. Seems like the negatives method or loadable DB progression method might be the best. Of course I still cant pull one yet so I could be completely full of ish.

- Aaron

Thanks Zach...

Yes, sandbags or dirt would stop the bell running someone down :)

I'm sorry but I have trouble imagining a deloading system that would allow the most problematic portion of the lift to still have an effect (the spin of the globes). I think that most who would attempt a pull with the inch would be able to pull that much weight on a smaller handle. The only thing I can think of for a deload system which might help would be a deload platform with a pair of rollers to set the inch on. So that when you pull it, it can still rotate to the weak position. Dont know if that would work or not but seems reasonable in my head. Seems like the negatives method or loadable DB progression method might be the best. Of course I still cant pull one yet so I could be completely full of ish.

- Aaron

Perhaps a version of the "Seesaw" method then? I'm not 100% sure what the setup looks like but I have to assume that given the name it would literally be a small seesaw with special platforms on either end. If that is the case then why not add something like what you talked about Aaron, 2 rings of roller bearings or smaller sliding platforms between the Inch bell and the seesaw platform. Sounds to like it'd be too complicated to worry about or work properly though.

Keep an eye on Jedd's series:

Grip Training - Lifting the Inch Replica Dumbbell - Part Two by Jedd Johnson

In part one of this series, I introduced you to the Inch Replica Dumbbell, a 172-pound cast iron dumbbell with a 2.38-inch diameter handle that literally tries to rip your fingers out of their sockets when you try to pick it up.

These Inch Dumbbells are lurking around the countryside, so you must begin preparing now so that when you are confronted with the challenge of lifting the Inch, you will be ready. Here are some of the ways I have prepared to lift the Inch in the past.

There's a lot more to read after the above "teaser", interesting reading and definitely worth a visit.

- Aaron

Well, you know what your weak point will be, why not start at the weak point in a deload setup?

If you can lift it there, then I'm pretty sure a normal lift will work as well :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are lucky enough to have some real "natural" monsters at our facility one of them being Jason Lawson a top ranked amateur in Powerlifting and Strongman. He is truly amazing in ALL aspects of strength. He is close with a #3 being able to close it with a fairly wide non credit card set. His training lately is working up to a "wagered set" of 10 with 700lbs. in the deadlift (yes you read correctly) His first night he did 700 for 6 easy singles and an "easy"(down) set of 10 with 605. That backround being given I watched him for th past couple of workouts do his new "favorite " exercise for grip and upper body strength.... high (shoulder height) pulls with the 158 and 132 Inch bell replicas. He does seemingly endless alternate right /left hand single reps in pretty quick succession with both the 132 and 158. He did 25+ pulls last night that I saw and a number of "booms" were heard when I was in other parts of the building so add about another 1/3 to that estimate. He has CLEANED 320+ on the 2" thick bar with a one motion overhand pull from floor to the chest.(of course all of this with no grip aids or staps) He warmed up with several sets of 12-15rep swinging, one handed a 88lb kettlebell into the air, releasing the handle, and as it flips over (360 degrees) re-catches it again and proceeds to the next rep . Talk about functional grip strength! Jason is an ex- pro football player and about 300lb of solid,athletic, functional muscle. His ability has earned him the nickname "Cyborg". RS

We are lucky enough to have some real "natural" monsters at our facility one of them being Jason Lawson a top ranked amateur in Powerlifting and Strongman. He is truly amazing in ALL aspects of strength. He is close with a #3 being able to close it with a fairly wide non credit card set. His training lately is working up to a "wagered set" of 10 with 700lbs. in the deadlift (yes you read correctly) His first night he did 700 for 6 easy singles and an "easy"(down) set of 10 with 605. That backround being given I watched him for th past couple of workouts do his new "favorite " exercise for grip and upper body strength.... high (shoulder height) pulls with the 158 and 132 Inch bell replicas. He does seemingly endless alternate right /left hand single reps in pretty quick succession with both the 132 and 158. He did 25+ pulls last night that I saw and a number of "booms" were heard when I was in other parts of the building so add about another 1/3 to that estimate. He has CLEANED 320+ on the 2" thick bar with a one motion overhand pull from floor to the chest.(of course all of this with no grip aids or staps) He warmed up with several sets of 12-15rep swinging, one handed a 88lb kettlebell into the air, releasing the handle, and as it flips over (360 degrees) re-catches it again and proceeds to the next rep . Talk about functional grip strength! Jason is an ex- pro football player and about 300lb of solid,athletic, functional muscle. His ability has earned him the nickname "Cyborg". RS

Well don't worry Richard, someday he'll grow up to be big and strong. :D

Work on your weak areas.

Is your weak area open hand finger strength, thumb strength or forearm strength?

Thumb and forearm strength will help stop the Inch DB from rolling out of your hand.

For me I had to bring my forearm strength up.

After heavy pulls and negatives with a 2 1/2" DB.

I would do very heavy wrist/forearm roller work on a 2" bar to bring up my forearm strength.

Of course if your hand is exceptionally wide or long, your training methods would differ.