Inch Dumbbell Training

Bill Piche

Oldguy

I typed in Edward Ashton's name in the search engin part of the Maxalding website and nothing was found. :blush Any ideas?

This weekend I acquired a 28" long piece of 2" solid round stock. Then I dug around and found a piece of pipe with 2 3/8" OD and 2" ID. I cut it down to 4" long (which is how long the Inch handle is, right?) and put it on the bar. Last night I brought this to the gym and loaded it up to 170 pounds. I snugged the collars on tightly so the plates didn't move. I know it isn't the same as having an Inch replica to lift, but it's the best I can do for now :)

To be honest, I did not expect the bell to be that hard to lift. I guess I have a big ego... ;) The first time it rolled right out of my hand (weak thumb) but I lifted it several times during the evening. Pretty damn tough.

Much respect to the men who can clean and press this! :bow

Much respect to you, Clay, for lifting an approximate Inch replica! :rock

Clay,

Great lift.

No one has cleaned and pressed an Inch- it has always been push-pressed, and yes, it matters.

Do you plan to buy an Inch replica?

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yes, I do plan to buy an Inch replica, but at just over $400 for the bell plus shipping it's not going to happen anytime soon. My wife got pissed that I dropped a load on Ironmind products last week :) Grip training and growing stronger is something I should aspire to work on for my entire life, and chances are that I will run into an opportunity to lift the Inch replica. Even if it means I have to drive 8 or so hours...

I have an Inch loadable handle, a rolling thunder, and an actual Inch replica. Trust me-nothing compares to the actual Inch Bell.

The mechanics are far different then that of a loadable handle.

Rick Walker :rock

Lifting the solid 2 3/8",181lb dumbell with one finger-from the other hand- stopping the rotation has been helpful.

I deadlift it-then 'fight' the rotation as I try to control the fall to the ground.It is no longer just free falling ;) This dumbell is all WELDED solid and i was told by Josh that although the INCH replica actually has a fatter handle and is '"slick as snott"(no thee snott :laugh ) that the 181 pounder is more awkward and harder to balance.He indicated the INCH replica is a nice ,small, little compact pkg.by comparison- and obviously lighter by 8 or 9 lbs.

Rolling Thunder is STILL important.5 sets of one with MAX

weight and now that progress has really slowed I add 1 or 2 oz.washers to what i did the previous week.Working on as many THICK implements as possible including 2 3/8"wrist roller has been helpful in just getting used to the 2 3/8"plus handle of an INCH?

I feel handling heavy dumbells in as many exercises as possible MAY help also.i.e.HEAVY one arm DB rows.Even HEAVY dumbell shrugs...getting used to dumbells,of any thickness.

i do IM Big Block pinch grip before my thickbar work.

I prefer it because it IS so slick.I pinch extra hard with my thumb-visualizing it going though the metal.

I feel-for myself-its going to be more wrist than thumb..but stronger thumb can't hurt.

pic of dumbell used:

http://www.cyberpump.com/gallery/album53/aav

I use the RT with my thumbs down-almost like a pinch, so the weight is completely on the fingers and thumb. Get strong here-and even if the bell does roll, you will still lift it.

Rick Walker :rock

Here's what I do. I set up an Oly bar in the power rack at about knee high. The supports are just inside the collars. I'll put a 45 plate on one end, say halfway between the collar and the end, as a counterbalance. Then I load up the other end of the bar, working up to 240 or so, and pick up the load at the end of the bar by the 2" sleeve an do holds.

I just ordered the replica from Sorinex so we'll see.

Wanna,

I've been working towards the Inch myself. Here's the grip program I've been following (came up with it myself, so any dumb ideas are my own dang fault):

RT deadlift 5X1 with 5 second hold (closest thing I've got to the Inch)

Plate Curl 3X10 (wrist strength, and the thumb has to hold the plate)

2" thick bar reverse curl 3X5 (also fairly stressful on my thumbs)

IM 3" pinch block 3 holds (another thumb strengthener)

I just thought to myself: "Self, that thick bar is just gonna roll out through your thumb..." And so, there you have the program.

Does anybody think it would be possible to snatch the Inch? I'm a terrible presser, but I want the thing overhead. I can currently snatch a 120 lbs dmbl (normal handle) and think 172ish is attainable. I'm getting some thick dmbl handles to train with...I may never get there, but it sure would be cool.

Macronan,

Nice db snatch! I asked the same question in another thread and Roark mentions Apollen having done so on a similar bar?

Jon@han

Now that you mention it I remember that post about Apollon. Didn't the weight fly over his head and land several feet behind him. :bow I can't even imagine....

Apollon routinely one hand snatched a block weight of about 176 lbs during many of his performances.

The bell that flew out of his hand weighed about 226 lbs and is extremely similar to the current Millennium dumbell.

Inch was careful to avoid Apollon with the 172- which

Apollon would have toyed with.

A hollow shot loadable dumbbell, of the same proportions and handle size of the solid dumbbell, would be a good training tool Inch knew all about such dumbbells.

• 4 years later...

Here's a list of some of the things I've tried so far:

I don't do "normal" attempts from the ground every workout, usually about every other time (may do even less in the future). A mini-tramp is used for most of my training; including:

-for bounces (like blobs)

-attempted holds at the top, middle, and bottom of the ROM (sometimes adding weigh to the bell and even on the thumb side for extra rotation to fight, sometimes try to "overcrush" handle.

-adding extra weight for negatives, holds and bounces with 1-2 old junkyard chains that weigh 15-20 lbs each, wrapped around the bells and attached with magnets, remove weight as fatigue sets in.

-using a 3-inch diameter DB w/152-172 lbs. for tramp bounces and negatives, makes the Inch handle seem smaller

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also do:

--pulls from the ground with extra weight while standing on several 45s to increase ROM, have broken from the ground with 6 lbs. attached to each bell doing this.

-DO DL w/ Olympic bar.

-just started using a 2.5" DB for wrist curls and am starting to gradually add more work with it into routine

-just started using a PDA Thug wrist roller and am trying to do the exercise Clay Edgin used straddling the roller to practice fighting rotation.

-I'm thinking about incorporating Clay's "rotation stopper" as well.

-still doing blob pinching and using TTK occasionally for thumb strength, also try to catch 16 & 28 lb. shot put palm down and pass lightly-loaded 2.5 inch DB hand-to-hand.

-doing wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, thumbless reverse curls for wrist strength (need to do some levering or fill a wiffle ball bat with sand or lead, L elbow almost healed enough).

-lots of extensor work

-may need to do more finger curls or grippers as I think a stronger crush would help

I can now hold it longer at the top, middle and bottom of the ROM and with better control during negatives as well. It is hard to concentrate on pulling it as well as fighting rotation at the same time, it is not a natural thing to do at all (more overall body strength would help as well), but I'm slowly getting it. I'm still figuring out how often I should train with the Inch and incorporate other thick DB work as well, all of this is new to me so I'm pleasantly surprised at my progress. I've been able to get air since the first day I tried it and my best pulls have been 3-5 inches. I have not intentionally tried any "tilted" lifts yet, some have been tilted accidentally.

So far my intuition tells me I need to get stronger from the top-down of the ROM using negatives with extra weight attached, holds and bounces AND from the bottom-up by trying to break increasing amounts of weight from the ground and attempting to hold the Inch for time at different parts of the ROM. I use the mini-tramp due to my overall body weakness (allows me to do an increased/more efficient amount of handling the Inch in the air with less body fatigue) and my past success using couch/body pillow bounces for blobs. Of course, increasing thumb, finger, wrist and overall body strength is also needed.

I find that the simple pulls from the ground, while useful as a tool to gauge progress, are the most mentally fatiguing and may be bad in reinforcing a failing pattern of movement as trying any other weight repeatedly that is much too heavy for you-I think a lot of this is perception however as long as you don't overdo failed attempts from the ground and get burnt out; it is important to videotape attempts and psychologically re-frame higher pulls as successful.

I've seen Mobster's 2.5" DB DL prescription, but having the actual replica is still too new and fun to do that tried-and-true program.

I don't see much detail about how successful Inch deadlifters progressed if they didn't pulled a full DL the first time (Clay and Mobster did write about their progress). I do think breaking the ground means that you should be eventually able to pull a full DL with proper training, but have not heard much about this from successful lifters, only that getting a few inches of air doesn't mean much towards pulling a full DL from yet-to-be-successful lifters. I know Mobster wrote something to the effect of the only difference between him and someone who can get an inch of air under both bells is time and training.

Jedd just began a series about Inch training, the background/introductory segment is here.

In future installments of this series, I will discuss training methods that I have used in order to fully lift the Inch Dumbbell. There are many tactics that grip athletes have used in order to replicate the replica. You will soon understand why some of these strategies are more successful in developing a grip strong enough to lift the inch and why some are not very successful at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing how my training will change after I read Jedd's actual training installments.

Sorry if this Tom of Iowa2-length post was overwhelming.

Edited by odin

I don't know if it is anything "good" but we have several Inch bells that were incorrectly cast with less dense cast iron and although the exact size of it's 173 lb brother It weighs in the 130s. It sits clearly marked on our Grip Island and "everyone" trys to lift it. Today, after a bunch of the guys messed with it I figured I would give it a go.I haven't touched it in about a year so I wasn't sure what it would feel like. On my first try with no warmup I pulled it hard enough(one handed) so the bell came to shoulder height turned over and briefly landed fixed on my right shoulder in the clean position. If I were trying to train to lift a heavier 173 Inch I would steady one of the globes with a finger from my other hand...rotation the hardest part of the Inch lift would be halted and if the finger remained in contact during the lift "for training" it would be possible to work up in a less annd less assisted way to eventual success. RS

I don't know if it is anything "good" but we have several Inch bells that were incorrectly cast with less dense cast iron and although the exact size of it's 173 lb brother It weighs in the 130s. It sits clearly marked on our Grip Island and "everyone" trys to lift it. Today, after a bunch of the guys messed with it I figured I would give it a go.I haven't touched it in about a year so I wasn't sure what it would feel like. On my first try with no warmup I pulled it hard enough(one handed) so the bell came to shoulder height turned over and briefly landed fixed on my right shoulder in the clean position. If I were trying to train to lift a heavier 173 Inch I would steady one of the globes with a finger from my other hand...rotation the hardest part of the Inch lift would be halted and if the finger remained in contact during the lift "for training" it would be possible to work up in a less annd less assisted way to eventual success. RS

Thanks Mr. Sorin, that was interesting, you are amazingly strong. Have you thought about training to clean the inch or to DL the Millennium?

I've tried weighing the Inch and it looks to be pretty close to the "official" weight. My scale would crack if I set it directly on top, so I've held it (with both hands) and subtracted my weight from the total; sometimes it weighed slightly over and other attempts were slightly under (perhaps determined by where the sensors in the scale are located and exactly where I was standing). I'll ask Roger Steffens if he ever weighed it properly.

I forgot to say that I've used the "finger touch" technique as well, Roger showed that to me. It sure is easy to lift that way. Maybe gradually reducing finger pressure is the best way, perhaps breaking the ground and then letting go with the finger earlier and earlier is the ticket.

Well, I have an inch replica at home and of course I cannot lift it yet.

Since it's pretty heavy for a one hand deadlift even without the handle I'm lifting it with one hand and a strap around it to get my body used to it.

Besides that, since I've got pretty small hands I know my thumb will have to be extremely strong for me to be able to lift it, so I'm primarily focussing on thumb strength in my training.

This means I'm pinching a lot with a variety of thickness of material but I'm also using something like the telegraph key and a thumb cable to increase the strength of my thumb in the full range.

Since I can't get my thumb anywhere near the bottom of the handle it really is a pinch for me, so I figured that would work best.

Of course I'm also strengthening my wrists with curls and levering, but I'm not really trying to lift the inch that often.

I will get it some day, but it might take some time ;)

Wannagrip,

Sorin ever tell you about his "Seesaw" method of training for the

inch?

I tried it. My setup was not precise enough.

Can anyone let me know what method that is? :help

I was thinking, a setup like this should work as well:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?autocom...si&img=6502

You can decrease the weight on the other side so that lifting the inch will become harder.

It's just like the device we used as kids ;)

Should work for the blob's as well :D

I might setup something like this soon....

Great post Bob!!!

Well I've actually been trying to lift my puny 137lb Inch :blush but I'll get up to lifting it's big brother someday. Haven't actually trained for it THAT much but what I have been doing is lifting it off the ground as Richard describes and holding it at the top. I plan on again doing just what Sorin described, reducing the amount of help with my other hand over time. Something else I thought would be neat. Some people like to train for the blob by pulling it up an incline and gradually increasing the degree at which it must go up, SO I figured I'd build some kind of incline(s) out of plywood and 2x4's and just try to drag my Inch Replica up like some do the blob.

Great post Bob!!!

Well I've actually been trying to lift my puny 137lb Inch :blush but I'll get up to lifting it's big brother someday. Haven't actually trained for it THAT much but what I have been doing is lifting it off the ground as Richard describes and holding it at the top. I plan on again doing just what Sorin described, reducing the amount of help with my other hand over time. Something else I thought would be neat. Some people like to train for the blob by pulling it up an incline and gradually increasing the degree at which it must go up, SO I figured I'd build some kind of incline(s) out of plywood and 2x4's and just try to drag my Inch Replica up like some do the blob.

Thanks Zach. I like your inclined plank idea, but hope you have a good plan for stopping the descent if you don't catch it; an uncontrolled roll with a huge dumbbell could certainly wreak some havoc.

Has anyone noticed less difficulty controlling the rotation at the top instead of the bottom of the ROM by chance?

The "seesaw" method Wannagrip mentioned is very appealing; you would know precisely how much you were deloading the Inch.

Maybe the more mechanically inclined folks who are interested in deloading can bring their ideas to Gripmas and other contests where people are bringing Inch DBs and BFDBs so we can experiment?

My mind and perhaps my ego/pride has a hard time accepting deloading. Even when I bounce the Inch on the mini-tramp or do negatives I don't feel right with myself unless I'm somehow adding extra weight to the dumbbell.

Are there a lot of success stories with pure deloading? If I deload, I prefer to do it for the ascent only, and have weight attached in addition to my goal object for a hold on top or the negative portion of the lift. This seems to help my mind and body more readily accept the targeted weight when I attempt unassisted full movements.