Inch Dumbbell Training

Bill Piche

Post your ideas on how to lift this beast.

I will start.

Inch Overloads:

Tape weight to the top of the dumbbell. Pick it up with two hands and try to hold it with one hand.

God, this is a tough one.

I have a DB that weighs 175. It is just a regular one inch thick bar, and I lift it with my fingers and then HOLD it (like a suitcase carry). The theory is that I'm getting used to the weight and strengthening the fingers at the same time. I'm also working on another theory that I won't talk about for now.

I'm expiramentin' with slowly increasing the load on a dumbell and also slowly increasing the handle's diameter with duct tape.

Still way too early to know if this will work for me as the weight is sub 100lbs and the handle isn't even at the 2" diameter yet :blush

Jon@han

If you are talking about having a 172 lb Inch replica, and by using it alone, train to be able to lift it, then I have no idea. If you have a loadable as well, then using collars that will prevent rotation, do some heavy singles once a week, always trying to lift more. Also do some timed holds with the heaviest weight you can currently deadlift without dropping. Maybe even do some work with a 3'' handle. Try to lift the weight up cleanly and with no tilt. Jerking the dumbbell off the floor back end first, and bracing the forearm against the inside plates may get the thing off the floor, but you wont be able to lift it with good style with that kind of training.

Begin with the bell in the erect body stance- if you can hold it there with one hand.

Then slowly try to lower the bell to the floor- it will fall, but

inch by inch you will gain on it.

After June 27th, I am going to write an article on this very subject and submit it to you Bill for the GripPage.

Stay tuned-

Rick Walker :rock

This is probably a stupid idea ? but...

If you tie a rope around the handle ( tie both ends of the rope to the handle ), you can use your free hand to support the lifting hand.

Just like doing a one arm curl and helping the lifting hand with the free hand.

1) Hard work.

2) Grabbing the Inch replica (or a similarly made dumbbell) and trying to lift it as much as you can. In my opinion, nothing works better for training than trying the real thing :)

I'd love to be able to put the Inch overhead, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. I guess for now I'll just have to settle with being devilishly handsome...

A crazy idea that just occured to me - it may not be practical, bit you never know.

Try putting the inch on the knee pad on one of those assisted dip/pullup stations and deadlift it from there. By doing this you will be able to do lifts with the actual inch of weights less than 173lbs.

1) Hard work.

2) Grabbing the Inch replica (or a similarly made dumbbell) and trying to lift it as much as you can. In my opinion, nothing works better for training than trying the real thing :)

I'd love to be able to put the Inch overhead, but I doubt that will happen anytime soon. I guess for now I'll just have to settle with being devilishly handsome...

Been there, done that.

Wannagrip,

Sorin ever tell you about his "Seesaw" method of training for the

inch?

I tried it. My setup was not precise enough.

John Wood used the teeter totter method. Inch bell on one end, and enough weight on the other end to reduce the Inch by what was needed for your strength level.

I have found 172 lbs on one end and 100 lbs on the other

to be helpful. :ohmy

Just make sure the "teeter" length of the board from the pivot

point is longer than the "totter length.

'ol inch will totter up like a doll. :)

Wannagrip, to repeat myself, seeing as you have an Inch loadable, and the special collars from PDA which lock the plates and handle together making it as if it were solid, then surely microloading would in time allow you to lift the replica? You are trying to lift the replica by training with it. My way, you train to lift it without even touching it.

Wannagrip, to repeat myself, seeing as you have an Inch loadable, and the special collars from PDA which lock the plates and handle together making it as if it were solid, then surely microloading would in time allow you to lift the replica? You are trying to lift the replica by training with it. My way, you train to lift it without even touching it.

Specificity still comes into play. You can't duplicate the physics of the round balls.

Not exactly, but I have no doubt it would work if you trained that way. Have you loaded up the Inch loadable using the special collars, to see what you can lift and how it feels? With me after a certain weight the handle spins right out of my grasp, with a very different feel to an RT lift that I also could not hold onto. At first I did not see the difference between using the special collars and just letting the handle revolve. I was not using enough weight to test this.

There's nothing like the rotational force encountered with the real thing. Handles don't get that effect no matter how locked the plates are from turning.

So you might have to go well beyond the 172 lb weight of the replica on the trainer, to get strong enough to lift the replica. Are you any good at pinching or blob lifts, or is your main strength with the grippers which probably has little tranfer over to anything else? I know that you do have an average hand. (your favorite topic. I am considering claiming a much smaller hand than I have done in the past in an attempt to appear stronger!) :inno

So you might have to go well beyond the 172 lb weight of the replica on the trainer, to get strong enough to lift the replica. Are you any good at pinching or blob lifts, or is your main strength with the grippers which probably has little tranfer over to anything else? I know that you do have an average hand. (your favorite topic. I am considering claiming a much smaller hand than I have done in the past in an attempt to appear stronger!) :inno

One might be able to do this. But, I am telling you, the rotational force -- counteracting it is key to lifting the thing. That's why the bigger the hand the better.

I am not too weak at pinching. I almost got air on a 45lber and I am probably stronger now but have not done the blobs in awhile. In anything I do, I have to specialize in one thing at a time to improve on it.

Over the last month or so I have learned a few things about the Inch bell.

#1. Wrist strength IS VERY important for smaller handed lifters.

#2. Thumb strength is the most important aspect of lifting the Inch.

#3. There are many ways to strengthen the thumbs and duplicate the movement of the Inch without using the Inch.

I will share a few ideas and leave the rest for my article.

My first one is a Rolling Thunder. I am not sure of the diameter of the IM RT, but the one Steve made me is a little bigger than the actual inch handle. When fully loaded to 170 , it acts EXACTLY like the Inch-it rolls and turns your wrist leaving you in a thumbs down position and thus-popping loose. If you train hard in this thumbs down position-you guard against this.

The second is the plate wrist curl for obvious reasons. The wrist cant move-thus helpping to prevent spin.

The third is take a 3 inch diameter PVC pipe. Hold it like the Inch and then have someone on the other end grab it and twist towards the thumbs. Immense torque and you have to fight like hell to resist the spinning. This can be murder on your wrsit so BECAREFUL!

I will reveal what else I am doing after June 27th. The Inch will take a full deadlift ride then.

Rick Walker :rock

As I have pointed out before, Edward Ashton who worked with, and had firsthand experience of Inch and his dumbbells, writes about thick handles and hand size in his book on grip training found at the Maxalding website.

In my training I lift a 200lb 2" handled dumbbell, just to get my body ready for the stress of the Inch. Some day, when my hand is strong enough, my body will be more than ready for it.