Bodyweight Challenge Log

Cannon

I have been a sloth for a few months now and I want to do something that interests me. Nothing earth-shattering. Just something that will get me moving and might be challenging. This is my Bodyweight challenge:

20 BW squats

20 push ups

20 pull ups (any grip)

The plan is to do this DAILY and I started today and will add 1 rep every day. The goal is to make it through April 15th. At that point I will be at 65 of each.

Rules:

• Reps can be broken into sets, but any sets must be consecutive. Breaks only to catch breath.
  • Any hand position is allowed for push ups and pull ups, but all pull ups have to be good ROM.
  • If I miss a day... well, I'm not going to miss a day.

If I finish everything, total reps for each exercise will be 1955.

Here we go. I did the first 20 in 4 sets of 5 reps each (yeah, I'm straight rickety right now)

• Like 3

This is a great plan. Such a great plan that I am going to steal it.

22 BW squats. Went wide and that felt better. My right knee sounds like bubble wrap popping so part of my motivation for doing these is to test a bunch of stances for one that crackles the least. Wide seems good.

Push ups 12, 10

Pull ups, 10, 8, 4

This is quite the challenge you have put forward. I decided to give it a try tonight and just worked it in with my normal work out.

Did the 22 squats and push ups in single sets but the pull ups were another story. I did 5, 5, 6, 6, but I am fairly certain that my elbows and shoulders are not ready for high volume pull ups. I believe I would end up with an injury if I tried to do this every day as you are. I am just not in that level of shape yet.

Good luck with your goal. I am interested to see how your sets and reps evolve as the daily count grows.

I got inspired with your grass roots bodyweight program, so I gave myself a break of the usual planche/front lever training last night.

Did 40 fast push ups, and a bunch of ab wheel. Good luck on the last day!

Thanks for posting guys! Today felt better than yesterday. :)

23 BW squats. Wide again. Almost no crackle.

Push ups 7, 7, 9

Pull ups 7, 7, 5, 4

Wow this is a great idea! I am recovering still from injury and regular lifting is still not great for me I think I'm going to do this now instead but add a few ab exercises also. Good luck.I am going to try something similar but with much less volume on the push ups and pull ups.

Stephen, glad you like the idea. It's working so far for what I wanted. Basically no equipment needed, short time commitment, and I'm using my body. Also, something I suspected would happen, I'm getting to the point where I finish the work and feel like doing a little more. That's good.

My BW squat is improving. I've been so focused on my crackly knee only to realize I can keep it silent if I focus on what my hips are doing instead. As long as my hips follow a certain "path" the knee is totally silent.

Mixed squats in this time.

push ups, BW squats, pull ups in rounds, sets of:

8, 8, 8, 5 = 29 each

This felt downright easy tonight.

Push ups x 30

BW squats x 30

Pull ups x 20, 10 (had to take a short break)

Nice, I'll be interested to see if your max set goes up over the weeks, I'm stuck at the low twenties for reps and it's proving harder than I thought to get up towards 30.

Thanks Patrick. I have to admit the end of that long set got a little cheaty.

BW squats 31

Push ups and pull ups

7, 6, 6, 6, 6

Mixed squats in this time.

8, 8, 8, 8 = 32 each

9, 8, 8, 8 = 33 each

Brutal headache today. This was not easy to grunt out without my head almost exploding.

17, 17 = 34 each

While drinking beer

• Like 2

I have not mentioned here that I'm also doing RRBT. I'm in Phase 2 and everything is going well so far. I've been working with a #1 and #2 so far, but will bump the #1 to a #1.5 for Phase 3. The #1 has been a little light for my "10-rep" gripper but I wanted to ease into the work so make sure I was ready for the work.