Kinney Close

Geralt

I like the "No Cussin" sign.

And i'm happy to have the Kinney video (not the DVD)

It's interesting to note that he has since taken to "cussin."

• Like 1

Why do we never learn? You do realize all that are involved in this thread are going to be dragged over the coals by Randy "Superman" Strossen and his band of merry men, right? This has been hashed and re-hashed and it never ends with anything but black and white, either you believe it or you don't. Then the thread gets locked down and Strossen lets everyone know they are more than welcomed to come over to his house and discuss the topic where everyone and anyone who disagrees with the Sheeple will be crucified on the cross of Gripperdom. You aren't allowed to have an opinion. Your opinion is wrong. Just get that in your head right now, and you will realize that this stupid sh*t doesn't matter.

Put things into perspective in your own mind. Legends only remain legends when we never let them die. Stop talking about this, get your a$$ down to your own garage, basement or Planet Fitness Gym, and train. We are quick to talk about the "used to" guys. Like that old man that grabs your #4 and moves it a millimeter than tells you when he was your age he could have repped it all day long. It's like Peaked In High School Rob Lowe. There are some men from back in Kinney's and Strossen's hey day that are still strong and still doing it. Stop talking about it and go do it, whatever IT may be.

http://youtu.be/uCPKLcM_O2Q

• Like 2

No human in their right mind would ever beleive that video. I agree with Tommy, 1:human physiology tells us that his hand would have to be made of a Titanium alloy to not budge like that. 2: he didnt bother setting the damn thing so physics tells us he had no leverage on it. 3: Strossen is a business man, not an athlete, he will milk every penny he can from the tit of the "legend". 4: let the damn topic take its place 6 feet under with Silverback's "closes".

• Like 2

This has indeed been hashed and rehashed many times before, but one major difference this time is that Joe himself has gone public and can now defend and explain himself.

I don't know what to believe, but I do trust heath sexton and if he met with Joe and Joe closed a filed 3 from no set easily with no training and years after the 4 cert, well who knows then. Being a lighter guy myself, I certainly like to think that it is possible for lighter men to make work of the 4. On the other hand, that could've been part of the whole gimic to sell #4's to guys like me, "average men." I own a 4 and very well know that I will never in two lifetimes close it.

On a side note, tommy, use a loofah to wash your nads in the shower.

• Like 2

Dang, that was one badass gripper close.

Tommy, it sound like you need to toughen your nut's bro. I recommend the iron egg technique.

• Like 1

Check his extremely developed thenar muscles. I'm totally sure that this is no fake.

This Kinney-thing is very fascinating to me. According to some different sources, Kinney met with at least two different dudes and trained with them at least once where he closed their #4's, not his own, but their #4's. That would be extremely hard to fake. This, along with a couple of witnesses who saw him close his own #4 makes his #4 closing ability seem fairly legit. But, with that said, I do agree that this video looks very fake, partly for the reasons Tommy mentioned. Maybe Kinney could close #4's at one point, but when he decided to shoot a video, maybe he had lost his top strength, and decided to make a video of him closing a tampered #4?

You can't rule that scenario out.

This makes the most sense to me. The fact that Heath said he closed or came close to closing a #3 (can't remember what exactly was said in that thread), makes me believe he could've possibly held a #4 shut for a snap shot to "certify." But the close in the video is very hard to believe.

This has indeed been hashed and rehashed many times before, but one major difference this time is that Joe himself has gone public and can now defend and explain himself.

I don't know what to believe, but I do trust heath sexton and if he met with Joe and Joe closed a filed 3 from no set easily with no training and years after the 4 cert, well who knows then. Being a lighter guy myself, I certainly like to think that it is possible for lighter men to make work of the 4. On the other hand, that could've been part of the whole gimic to sell #4's to guys like me, "average men." I own a 4 and very well know that I will never in two lifetimes close it.

On a side note, tommy, use a loofah to wash your nads in the shower.

I watched that close over and over again a few years back when i bought the dvd. All the squat numbers/grip machine/reps/whatever aside, all i could focus on from the first time i saw it was the palm of his hand that did not budge under the pressure of the 4. i have never shook hands with, arm wrestled with (even gripped up with some fairly elite arm wrestlers that have probably felt 1000's of hands), or competed in grip with anyone who didnt tell me my hands felt like concrete and wanted to touch them again and inspect them. And that includes an ex NFL'er i just armwrestled with recently named Ken Blackman. That said, my palm still looks a lot like everyone elses when i close even a #3. So if all these folks say the same thing about my hands, i guess its prolly true. Do i think thats a cool thing? Not really... It actually sucks when i wash my nads in the shower... Im actually serious right now. Seriously. But my point of focus on that is - is there really a guy out there who has hands so hard that his palm didnt even lose shape under the pressure of a closed #4? Hands so hard that even i cant comprehend? Not trying to toot any horns, but that (the way his palm doesnt even remotely give, whereas even MINE does) alone is borderline unreal.

While this post may seem a bit on the big-headed side, its actually not.. Im starting to wonder if i am the only guy that might take notice at a small detail like that. This is coming (sincerely) from a guy who has burned and beaten on his hands constantly on scorching hot autos in a shop right off the side of a major highway, where everyone is in a "hurry" to get thier cars fixed, instead of allowing me 5-10 minutes for thier engines to cool down so i dont get burned. "No. not an option sir. I need you to fix it right now so i can continue on being an asshole as fast as i can."- is what im hearing as they all but try and drive into my toolbox in a scurry.

After all these years of hearing feedback on MY hands, im 100% convinced that if someone does indeed have harder/more callouse hands, then they made them that way intentionally. Which would be entirely unbelievable as well.

In short, even after hearing all the numbers about Joes squats and whatnot, the part i find to be most unbelievable is not his crush strength.. Not how easy he closed the 4.. Not his squat numbers... But how hard those hands have to be to not even so much as give under the pressure of a #4.

I also cant urge enough that im not even remotely bragging about these ragged hands of mine.. While many get a kick out of it, it actually sucks when you cant even feel that screaming hot chili cheese fry that you just put in your mouth and burned your entire esophagus with as it went down. Would have been nice to get a slight warning of pain from my fingertips before hand to let me know not to put that hot summummubeech in my mouth.. Just sayin. #screwyouleatherhands. And super hard and callouse doesnt equal freak strength either. Also just sayin.

I finally got around to reading this. Made my day. My brother has been a mechanic his whole life since he started tinkering with dirt bikes and gocarts when he was a kid to high end cars to now teaching at a technical school. His hands are straight leather and always black...no matter what he cleans them with, the grease infiltrates the cracks in his hands and stays there forever. That being said, he can close a #2 real easy without training but overall doesn't have incredible strong hands. My training partner was a diesel mechanic for 10 years before he went into the state police. He has big, thick hands from changing tires all day long on big rigs but his grip sucks and gives out on him all the time.

Dude, they make these neat, square, soft little objects called wash clothes. Lather, wash, rinse. Your disgusting leatherface hands should not have to touch your sack. :grin:

• Like 1

No human in their right mind would ever beleive that video. I agree with Tommy, 1:human physiology tells us that his hand would have to be made of a Titanium alloy to not budge like that. 2: he didnt bother setting the damn thing so physics tells us he had no leverage on it. 3: Strossen is a business man, not an athlete, he will milk every penny he can from the tit of the "legend". 4: let the damn topic take its place 6 feet under with Silverback's "closes".

Lol I opened the 'damn topic' to let everybody who missed the link have the chance to watch the video everyone keeps talking about. That the discussion starts again is not my fault, nor will there ever be an answer to this debate.

Just sayin'. Sure I have my thoughts about it. Heath Sexton on the other hand sure sounds like a reliable witness, so Kinney was at some point probably quite strong on these things.

I have a bit of a problem also with envisioning sacks and washing clothes under the shower :sick: , which for me, is a good reason to ask if this topic can be locked now :grin:

• Like 1

Guys my opinion is just that, my opinion. I do not know for sure that Joe did what he said he did, but in my opinion after meeting him, seeing the way he is hooked up from the elbow down and seeing how he ripped into my cut #3 after not training for along time then I do think he is legit. I never posted what I did so people would change their mind about what he did or didn't do it was just a neat experience and I thought I'd share it.

He used homemade stuff to train on, weights that were estimates on weight and it seems like he just trained and trained on top of having some natural ability.

I'd like to know that he is legit but for now I'll just have to think he is.

• Like 3

I watched that close over and over again a few years back when i bought the dvd. All the squat numbers/grip machine/reps/whatever aside, all i could focus on from the first time i saw it was the palm of his hand that did not budge under the pressure of the 4. i have never shook hands with, arm wrestled with (even gripped up with some fairly elite arm wrestlers that have probably felt 1000's of hands), or competed in grip with anyone who didnt tell me my hands felt like concrete and wanted to touch them again and inspect them. And that includes an ex NFL'er i just armwrestled with recently named Ken Blackman. That said, my palm still looks a lot like everyone elses when i close even a #3. So if all these folks say the same thing about my hands, i guess its prolly true. Do i think thats a cool thing? Not really... It actually sucks when i wash my nads in the shower... Im actually serious right now. Seriously. But my point of focus on that is - is there really a guy out there who has hands so hard that his palm didnt even lose shape under the pressure of a closed #4? Hands so hard that even i cant comprehend? Not trying to toot any horns, but that (the way his palm doesnt even remotely give, whereas even MINE does) alone is borderline unreal.

While this post may seem a bit on the big-headed side, its actually not.. Im starting to wonder if i am the only guy that might take notice at a small detail like that. This is coming (sincerely) from a guy who has burned and beaten on his hands constantly on scorching hot autos in a shop right off the side of a major highway, where everyone is in a "hurry" to get thier cars fixed, instead of allowing me 5-10 minutes for thier engines to cool down so i dont get burned. "No. not an option sir. I need you to fix it right now so i can continue on being an asshole as fast as i can."- is what im hearing as they all but try and drive into my toolbox in a scurry.

After all these years of hearing feedback on MY hands, im 100% convinced that if someone does indeed have harder/more callouse hands, then they made them that way intentionally. Which would be entirely unbelievable as well.

In short, even after hearing all the numbers about Joes squats and whatnot, the part i find to be most unbelievable is not his crush strength.. Not how easy he closed the 4.. Not his squat numbers... But how hard those hands have to be to not even so much as give under the pressure of a #4.

I also cant urge enough that im not even remotely bragging about these ragged hands of mine.. While many get a kick out of it, it actually sucks when you cant even feel that screaming hot chili cheese fry that you just put in your mouth and burned your entire esophagus with as it went down. Would have been nice to get a slight warning of pain from my fingertips before hand to let me know not to put that hot summummubeech in my mouth.. Just sayin. #screwyouleatherhands. And super hard and callouse doesnt equal freak strength either. Also just sayin.

Tommy, it would have been cool if you could film a very similar close as this kinney #4 close with perhaps a #2.5, or even a #2. Dogleg handle way back, slow close, trying to grind the handles etc. Just to see what it would look like on video. How much that back handle would dig into the palm etc etc. Just to compare it to this kinney thing.

Edited by Norden
  • Like 1

post-23378-0-38336000-1424119250_thumb.j

post-23378-0-25631300-1424119263_thumb.j

Same gripper, same hand, two very different looking situations. Of course its not number 4.

Lol I opened the 'damn topic' to let everybody who missed the link have the chance to watch the video everyone keeps talking about. That the discussion starts again is not my fault, nor will there ever be an answer to this debate.

Just sayin'. Sure I have my thoughts about it. Heath Sexton on the other hand sure sounds like a reliable witness, so Kinney was at some point probably quite strong on these things.

I have a bit of a problem also with envisioning sacks and washing clothes under the shower :sick: , which for me, is a good reason to ask if this topic can be locked now :grin:

haha I understand man, my reply wasnt so much to the thread but more to the idea that in some parallel universe his claims are even plausible. Hes a fake, i damn strong fake but a fake nonetheless. To say he wasnt an awesome gripster is BS, but to beleive he was the greatest is like thinking Bruce Lee can fight Geourges Saint Pierre and live to talk about it. Id rather pay respect and homage to real athletes who have proven themselves beyond a REASONABLE doubt than dwell on unproven BS legends.
  • Like 1

I'm interested in your video Tommy. I've noticed the exact issue you point out about the thumbpad and have experimented with my form in the past based on this video, trying to understand what could be happening. I can get a #1 to sit still on my thumb pad (which is nothing special) and it doesn't move under pressure. BUT, in order to keep it that way, I lose the natural biomechanics that I enjoy otherwise. You kind of have to squeeze at an upward angle that brings your fingers heading higher, like outward away from palm in an arc toward the other handle (if that makes any sense). Once my hand is in the shape of roughly sign language for the letter "e", it locks up and I can't move.

asl_sign_e.gif

But the gripper handle is sitting on my thumb pad still, not squishing in. So it makes me wonder if I trained this form, and overcame my weakness for that particular motion, would that change anything? Could I learn to close grippers this way if I did all my training this way..? Maybe? It just doesn't seem like an advantageous position.

• Like 1

Ok I just have to ask, how many of you guys believe this man was what he claims to have been? If so, can any human on earth give something more than this video to prove this?

Like seriously, we are a group of respectable and intelligent men, i cannot even process someone believing he did that to a #4.

I do until proven wrong and if I am wrong I will admit it. I just think he is the real deal.

John Wood is the closest I've seen to Kinney. In my dealings with John he is very strong.

• Like 1

Absolutely. After reading every page of back info on IM forums I don't have the slightest doubt. I have a harder time believing a human being can bench press 1100 pounds.

So have I, all ironminds forum did for me was evaporate what little respect i had for Strossen, let alone prove anything. No offence Chuck.

• Like 3

So have I, all ironminds forum did for me was evaporate what little respect i had for Strossen, let alone prove anything. No offence Chuck.

LOL

• Like 1

overcome the friction

when i wash my nads

No human in their right mind

ALMOST a haiku. Would have been the best ever.