Kinney Close

Geralt

Wow, I've never seen that before either, I've heard it described by people. That doesn't look like any #4 close video that I have seen lol. The dog leg is way down in his hand.

• Like 2

That's Joe. He's been over on the IM forum for a while now giving training advice and he posted the vid up after someone else kept posting it and it getting taken down. Joe discussed it with John Wood to post up just the close of the video John sells since Joe doesn't have the rights to it anymore.

• Like 1

I don't think I could close a #2 like that

• Like 2

Probably couldn't even do a #2 or a #1 like that. Do find it hard to believe, as its was such an odd close the way it was closed looked like there would be no leverage at all. But not going say he definitely didnt do it.

• Like 1

I have this DVD, the #4 close aside. My problem is with his grip machine and squat numbers.

• Like 1

Yeah..it's a neverending discussion. Look at the biggest gripguys over here when doing max closes and then look at this hand, not shaking, Joe even talking and grinding the handles...it even seems that the final part of the close even speeded up instead of movement slowing down because of ramping up from the spring. Hmm. Anyway, like I said, I had never seen it before, so thought it would be interesting to see. That's it.

• Like 1

Just looked like he was pushing the handles with the tips of his fingers and only curled them round the gripper at the end of a close.

What was his squat numbers and grip machine numbers?

Thanks Geralt,

I also had never seen this close before...now having seen it....finally...I really don't have anything to say that hasn't been said by a hundred different people in a hundred different threads.

Kinney had absolute dominance over whatever it is he is closing in that video...if it is a legit #4 then his max must have been close to a BB Pro...absolutely astounding!

Sombody lock this thread quick

• Like 3

Does that DVD show other #4 closes?

No just this one, plus a lot of interview time.

Sombody lock this thread quick

Might be a good idea depending on the direction it goes.

There is no reason to lock the thread unless the debate starts like a broken record. It's been hashed and re-hashed so many times here for at least 10 years (probably more).

• Like 2

I have no reason to doubt it was a legit close.

As far as the grip machine and squat numbers go, he was using homemade weights, as well as a cambered bar. So it was pretty much a wild guess on his part.

People hate him cause they ain't him.

Here is some information I can share with people here. These are the numbers regarding the poundages used. I will not post the amount of reps/sets/attempts, Joe has gone on record stating how many times that he never counted anything but the attempt and that's only if it was good by his standards, everything else was thrown out.

380-390 lbs on the floor model grip machine.

200 lbs played with on the Secret Weapon.

440 lbs or more on Squats with a Safety Squat Bar.

Please note that the weights used were homemade concrete weights plates, or, cheap flywheels he (Joe) bought. Nothing from what I know was calibrated on an official weight scale, so that is really a point of debate over how much said weights could actually be at; so, it's more of a give or take when it comes to said numbers in that they could be at higher or lower than one could know.

Yeah the way he set it was kinda like the way I set it before I knew what I was doing... And I don't mean deep setting. If its legit its the most impressive gripper close ive ever seen to include Nathan Holle, even if its a low end 190-195 #4. He basically only sets it enough to get his fingers around the handle. And the grind? Unbelievable... His hand and tendons didn't even look like they were under much tension. Thanks for posting Geralt.

• Like 1

There is no reason to lock the thread unless the debate starts like a broken record. It's been hashed and re-hashed so many times here for at least 10 years (probably more).

My idea. A lot of guys incl me never saw the video before, and that's it.

I like the "No Cussin" sign.

And i'm happy to have the Kinney video (not the DVD)

Edited by Six Barrel Shotgun

Does that DVD show other #4 closes?

Nope

i have seen that clip over on Ironminds forum, amazing. so i bookmarked it on my own laptop. then, perhaps a half an hour later it disappeared! some legal issues i think. now, i didn't share it with anyone else, or post it to anyone else. it just said something like " access has been denied" . in any event , he made it look simple.

Thanks geralt. Never seen this before also.

I think in order to close a gripper this way one must be one level stronger. So people mms closing #3's can do this with a #2 etc.

So if this is a legit #4 close his max closing strength must've been 240ish?

This Kinney-thing is very fascinating to me. According to some different sources, Kinney met with at least two different dudes and trained with them at least once where he closed their #4's, not his own, but their #4's. That would be extremely hard to fake. This, along with a couple of witnesses who saw him close his own #4 makes his #4 closing ability seem fairly legit. But, with that said, I do agree that this video looks very fake, partly for the reasons Tommy mentioned. Maybe Kinney could close #4's at one point, but when he decided to shoot a video, maybe he had lost his top strength, and decided to make a video of him closing a tampered #4?

This Kinney-thing is very fascinating to me. According to some different sources, Kinney met with at least two different dudes and trained with them at least once where he closed their #4's, not his own, but their #4's. That would be extremely hard to fake. This, along with a couple of witnesses who saw him close his own #4 makes his #4 closing ability seem fairly legit. But, with that said, I do agree that this video looks very fake, partly for the reasons Tommy mentioned. Maybe Kinney could close #4's at one point, but when he decided to shoot a video, maybe he had lost his top strength, and decided to make a video of him closing a tampered #4?

You can't rule that scenario out.