Billy Jack's Log

Billy Jack

Been meaning to get serious about training again for about eight months now. New baby is three months old so I am starting to have a little more free time late at night.

I have not performed a true "full body" WO plan in about 16 years since ACL surgery, so no squats and barely any benchng or deadlifting other than axle work early last year. Wow, that is terrible to admit. Everyone says how much all grip strength increases in addition to a full body WO plan, so we will see. Got a new power rack and put it together last week. Been sitting in the basement for over a year in the box.

Don't plan on anything to be perfectly structured or updated daily. Will post what I can when I can and hopefully I can note some improvement. Time for some serious DOMS due to my 16 years of stagnancy.

Will be doing 5/3/1 for my main lifts and will not worry about posting sets, reps, pounds, etc as grip is the focus here. Grip-wise, all my lifts are down quite a bit except grippers. Pinch is way off from early 2014 and I have barely trained it at all. Main goal in pinch is to lift my new Fatman and maybe even dabble in some 2hp and try to break 215 this year. I think I am also going to work pretty hard on my 2.5" crusher work as I would like to post good numbers on that as well. I will still be bending occasionally as well and hopefully have time to finally cert the Red Nail coming up really soon. Took two weeks off from bending due to straining my shoulder when helping my three year old get in her car seat. Getting old. For gripper work, I am going to do one GHP block set and one CCS day per week.

Day 1, Tuesday 2/10/15: Easing back into training, so low volume for grip/bending

Squat Day 5/3/1

Assistance: Leg extensions and calf raises, 3 sets x 15

Grippers: GHP 1.5" block set for all

Warm-up BH w/ Trainer X 10 and GHP3 X 5

RH:

#1.5 x 7

filed 1.5 x 7

BBSM @ 117 x 5

2.5 @ 126 x 3

LH:

#1 x 7

1.5 x 7

#2 @ 110 x 5

BBSM @ 117 x 3

Bending: all 7" O-1 DR

Stretching and warm-up with H bar bend

J x 1

K x 1

L x 1

Nice and easy. Shoulder feels good. Flexibility down after two weeks off

• Like 2

Good luck buddy. I will be rooting for you and feel your pain on the full body stuff.

- Aaron

Thanks Aaron. I can barely sit down this morning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday 2-14

5/3/1 DL and press day

Assistance: Shrugs and crunches

Grippers: All CCS work

Warm-up T x 10 x 2 both hands

RH:

#1 x 7

1.5 x 7

#2 x 5

#2@110 x 3

LH:

GHP3 x 7

#1 x 7

1.5 x 7

Filed 1.5 x 3

2.5" Crusher: 50# x 10 both hands WU

60 x 10 LH

65 x 10 RH

Planned on doing some more Crusher and pinch work but oldest daughter got sick and I had to call it a night sooner than expected.

Thursday 2-19

5/3/1 Bench day

Assistance 2.5" db rows 2 x 10

Grippers: all 30mm GHP block sets

RH:

1.5 x 7

Filed 1.5 x 7

BBSM@117 x 5

2.5@125 x 3

LH:

1 x 7

1.5 x 7

2 x 5

2@110 x 3

Pinch:

Extra wide pair of 25's hand to hand toss x 7

35# blob lift to 20" bench: RH 1 x 7, 1 x 10. LH 1 x 7, 1 x 7

Bending

WU Iron Grip 105kg bar

1 x K bar

1 x L

1 x M

Thanks Ben. Been lazy awhile and lost some strength. Tonight was my fourth WO back and I'm already feeling stronger.

Sunday 2-22

5/3/1 squat day

Assistance: weighted lunges and leg extension

Grippers: all CCS work

T x 10 x 2 BH

RH

#1 x 7

1.5 x 7

2 x 5

2@110 x 3

LH

GHP3 x 7

1 x 7

1.5 x 5

Filed 1.5 x 3

2.5" Crusher

WU BH 60 x 10, 70 x 10

110 x 1 BH

125 x 1 RH, LH fail

135 x 1 RH

146.7 x 1 RH all-time PR,

Sledge finger walks

6# x 1 BH

8 x 1 BH

10 x 1 BH

Bending

WU 60d x 2

J x 1 probably the hardest J bar I've ever felt

L x 1

M x 1

Edited by Billy Jack

Any sign of the gripper i sent you buddy? Good to see you back bending !

I got a notice friday evening from the PO advising it was there. I will have to go by and pick it up. Thanks for checking.

Nice log here. Ill drop in from time to time... Looks like your baseline is very strong

Thanks Jon. I need all the motivation I can get these days. I was very, very pleased with an all-time PR on the crusher. Second WO in over 1.5 years on it and hit a 7lb PR. Maybe I need to train it twice a year for 5 years and hit 175!!

• 2 months later...

OK guys, no I have not just stopped training or logging out of laziness. I had some pretty serious health problems come up at the end of February and found out I had to have my gallbladder removed ASAP. Had that done in March and have not been doing any major lifting, bending, or training whatsoever per doctors orders. I am just now getting back comfortable to lifting fairly heavy objects, so I am about to start training again next week. I will again try to keep everything up to date here. At least I wasn't months into a training cycle or anything.

I may change some things up and do only bending for a few months to see how far I can go. Prior to the surgery I was bending red nails pretty much at will and was just waiting for a good time to contact IM. However, due to only training bending for a few months prior to that, I am worried I probably have lost a considerable amount of strength and flexibility. Frank passing me while I was down has given me a good bit of motivation, so we'll see what happens.

• Like 1