Heavy Hammer Ii Vs Heavy Hammer (i)

Old Dax

I have a HHII and would like to know how it compares (training effect-wise) to the smaller handled version; anyone tried both? which give best result for wrist strength?

I get an awesome pump when I use the II with lighter weight and high-ish (~20) reps but not sure if this will translate into stronger or bigger forearms.

The thicker handle is supposed to bring more grip into play...I don't have the thinner hammer, but have one from another company. I prefer the smaller one for the best results.

You can always load up the II with more weight...since you will be taking away some leverage, and grab above the 2" handle to use the thinner part... to change things up.

• Like 1

I did think of making something from a spinlock dumbbell with a 'sleeve' over the handle, I think about 44mm (1.75") would be ideal.

The Heavy Hammer's thicker handle works overall grip well as it you lever it. The difference is that the Wrist Reinforcer's 1-3/8 handle would allow you to work the wrist without taxing the grip.

I've had Ironmind's Hammer for about twenty years and I still enjoy challenging myself with it, though the Reinforcer would be a fun one to put through the paces :)

Edited by 33wes
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks 33wes, I may go for using both at different stages.

• 1 month later...

Hi I have made this device from a single loadable dumbbell with standard plates on one side.

Is the iroind product going to offer a lot more than my home made product?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kwakamoto, I guess the main variables will be:

1, grip diameter,

2, grip texture

3, length, i.e. the distance from grip to loading point (or more accurately, to the centre of mass of extra load (added plates).

• 2 months later...

I use to use a spinlock dumbbell with fairly light weight (2kg give or take) for high reps like you said. i could only do one all out set (20+ reps) because the pump was ridiculous.

id use a small towel for the thickness while grabbing one end. the towel forces you to grab tighter or the dumbbell will slip, which in turn makes your forearms work harder. great for adding size to the forearms.

for wrist strength use a skinny handle. one inch or so. ironmind or homemade.

like wes33 said, the smaller handle would allow you to work the wrist without taxing the grip.

Edited by Jones1874