45 Lb Plate Curl

Lucasraymond

This guy isnt on his phone between sets! 3 reps is ridiculous.. Good Job ! :)

is this an unofficial record?

I think Adam Glass is still the man to beat. Adam strict curled three different 45 lbs plates one after another with a straight wrist. This one is definitely up there but lifting with the wrist bent back makes it a bit easier.

• Like 1

I think Adam Glass is still the man to beat. Adam strict curled three different 45 lbs plates one after another with a straight wrist. This one is definitely up there but lifting with the wrist bent back makes it a bit easier.

Where is the video of Adam Glass's strict curls???

I will attempt this against a wall to try to strict curl it...it may be possible but not sure if I will be able to do it with a straight wrist...only time will tell!! It is harder to do consecutive reps without resetting due to slight shifting in the hand.

Thanks everyone...this was a huge goal for myself!!

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 1

Hi Mike,

I thought that would be the video referenced. First off let me say that Adam has proved that he developed world-class grip strength in almost all areas of grip, and as some have said he may have been at the top when it comes to this type of wrist strength. When someone is so strong I try to bite my tongue and not say anything, because that person has my utmost respect and I feel a little strange giving any negative critique. This said... that is NOT a strict curl.

When he started posting videos of those 45# plate curls a couple of years ago, I said to myself "why starting with such a bent torso?". I looked at those videos a few times and if you're observant enough you can see that he begins to curl it, and as he reaches the hardest part (about when the plate is horizontal), his shoulder drops, and this happens in each and every video. At the moment I was (still am!) super weak so I could only compare with a 25# plate :) But even with that, let me tell you, the difference from doing a true "strict curl" (standing upright, no shoulder dropping at any point of the curl) and doing that style (starting with your torso not even close to upright which makes it easier to drop the shoulder) was very noticeable to me. So even though I was never (and will never) be at that level, I don't have to be to know that there is a huge difference. In my opinion a true strict curl would be much harder and I have never seen video of it being done! but Adam may have been the one closest to do it, so props to him :)

I hope the original poster doesn't mind me saying this in here. Props to you for those 3 reps! That's some tough wrists you've got there!!!

• Like 1

Here's Stephen ruby curling one for reps. Had some swing there but the wrist was fairly straight.

Here's Stephen ruby curling one for reps. Had some swing there but the wrist was fairly straight.

Stephen is a strong dude for repping that 45 lb plate, but that wrist was nowhere near straight!

• Like 1

Arturo, I hear you about Adam. His curls aren't perfect. But they're the best I've seen, and most importantly, his wrists are straight throughout the whole movement which is, by my criteria, the most important point in a "strict" plate curl.

Edited by David_wigren

Arturo, I hear you about Adam. His curls aren't perfect. But they're the best I've seen, and most importantly, his wrists are straight throughout the whole movement which is, by my criteria, the most important point in a "strict" plate curl.

well said

well said

Ok, I was not going to reply, but the "well said" above encouraged me to do so ;)

I will first use an example to then, hopefully, make my point clear: did any of you ever saw videos of people trying a "strict" DB curl challenge? About 99% of the videos were not strict by any means. Lowering that shoulder and quickly swinging the weight up is not strict, and I never understood why people could not see this but I could, I mean, it's truly obvious. If you do a max weight DB curl truly strict, I can guarantee you that the speed at which you get past the hardest part is going to be slow. In my opinion, the hardest part is very close to when the forearm is parallel to the ground (and you're fully upright). Yet, most of the guys got the DB from the "dead hang" position up to about 3/4 of the way up in a really fast way, then struggled with about the last 1/4 of the ROM. This, to me, is a dead give away that it was not truly strict. They struggled with that last bit but not with the hardest part? Come on. They got past the hard part by either using a swing, lowering their shoulder, or any other tiny shift in position that seems to escape most people's eyes.

The same goes for the plate curls I am seeing. Even the "best" videos mentioned here have the forearm (and plate) fly past horizontal very quickly, only to slow down near the end. Obviously you have a much better chance of keeping that straight wrist David speaks about, if you are not truly supporting the plate's weight during that fraction of a second, because other parts of your body shifted their place in space and you were able to 'cheat' (consciously or unconsciously) the plate into that position.

Anyways, I just wanted to bring that up, but I am not taking anything away from those lifts, as it truly takes a lot of strength to perform them. It's like critizicing someone for "cheat curling" 300# ... just moving that weight around takes real strength so I would never say anything bad about feats that are beyond my comprehension. But it just makes me want to voice my opinion when lifts pass as "strict" when to me they are obviously not.

Maybe we should make this the standard for "strict" curl. Scott curl, with no elbow or shoulder movement. Smooth start and of course, with a straight wrist!

Edited by David_wigren

I remember a very old video of David Horne doing alternate plate curls with 5kg, and he had his back touching a wall. I've seen a few curling contests ask the lifter to keep several bodyparts stuck to the wall to enforce strictness. I guess that could be an option, but when curling with just one arm, the curling arm's shoulder can still be dropped (much harder to do if curling two-handed) so even then it's hard to judge. Maybe the bench as you suggest is a good idea, who knows.

Personally, I always thought to myself "why measure wrist strength in a movement that keeps the wrist statically contracted?", and I tell myself that a Plate Wrist Curl is a better test. Forearm on a Bench for more strictness, and having a point of contact to measure the lower part of the ROM (to enforce going down to a required place, and not just to "parallel" or anything). On this feat my favourite video is still Josh Dale's video from 2008 or so, where he did a 35# x2 reps, although over his legs and not a bench, still looked quite strict and you can see him struggle through the hardest part of the ROM (plate moves slowly). That's very legit to me, and very, VERY strong. If you type "josh dale plate wrist curl" in Youtube it should be one of the top results. (Don't want to post the video as I've highjacked this thread enough!! Sorry about that!! I hope at least it's somewhat relevant discussion :) ).

Edited by Arturo
  • Like 1

I should probably also apologuise for hijacking your thread Lucas. Again repping that 45 lb plate was sick! That is one of my goals before the end of 2015.

Arturo, I agree, for a contest lift I would also like the strict plate wrist curl more.

• Like 1

No need to apologize to me guys...this is all good content which is applicable to the topic at hand.

• Like 1

Is this one better??

• Like 6

Very impressive

What is everyone's thought on this technique? Since we are talking about others ways to do the lift I think this is a harder way to do it also.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 3

i think it is not a good idea, Stephen. To reduce wrist pain and or injury, the wrist has to be straight in my opinion. I don't ever do platecurls with my wrist under 90degrees. Perhaps only with very easy weight for warmups or if i fail at platecurls.

Jedd, yes i have a 45lbs platecurl video online. But the plates are not olympia size. I'm still trying to curl a blue Eleiko plate... and trying... and trying... :grin: