Herman Goerner's One Hand Record

Bill Piche

Old Guy

Do you actualy know the technical differences of a hand and thigh compared to a 1 HL or a 1HDL?

I also strongly disagree that records can only be compaired or broken using the same equipment.

Old Guy please call me Paul, my friends do......

I tend to agree with Scotte. No one says that you have to use the excact  same equipment to beat the record. For example F1 lap records are being broken with each race why? many different things tyres,downforce better cars  etc, the key thing here is that times and people  move on and" RECORDS ARE MEANT TO BE AND WILL BE  BROKEN". I have not seen a picture of Goener performing this  so called lift and whilst I do not doubt it the saying "seeing is believing" couldn't be more true. If there is a picture well then let's see it, end of argument/ debate !!! it's there in black and white to go buy someone's eye witness account from many years ago  is not enough I'm afraid. I saw David perform this lift on similar equipment as did many others, there are also plenty of photo's to back it up. He also performed a 25k plate curl a 120 kilo rolling thunder lift  all records, why is no one challenging these claims??  Because we seem to think that the strongmen of old were from another planet and that their  feats of strength will never be beaten. Well sorry to disapoint you but they will and have been. I admire the strongmen of old but I'm proud to say that I know and have met one of the great strongmen of now.

His name...........David Horne.

That's enough from me I'm outta here

Paul:)

Given the difficulty in balancing a bar of that length,

i would imagine it would be more difficult than the

sandstone block lift.Presuming that the sandstone

was in a block form with ring attached,it's also very hard

to go on past performances because so few photos exist of any actual record lifts.

Which reminds me wasn't there a pic taken from the

front of this Historic lift?,How can we expect photos

from the oldtimers if we're not getting good pics now.

If you've got one Dave can you share it with the rest

of us, cheers.

An excelent point Paul....if I may call you Paul :)

In hindsight, too much nostalga is given to the past.  Its good to be romantic when lifting is concerened, but we need a balanced outlook.  Life is for living and we must look foreward.  lifting should enrich our lives.  We must stop all this petty bikering and childish sniping and remember the sprit of lifting and the challenges it brings.

Look to the future more than the past.  But lets have a balance.

Paul has a great ability and could, in the next 2 or 3 years, break some grip records.  And so he should.  But if we see David as a mythical figure and must not dare challenge his lifts, then that is stupid.  I'm sure David will be the first to congratulate anyone who breaks any record, no matter who holds it.

Lets just strive to be the best we can and some people should stop being so blinkered

Let's keep in mind that all those who have been

certified Captain of Crush, indeed, used the same

equipment (the #3 gripper by Ironmind), and there

is accepted to be a wide variance in different #3s,

actually probably much more of a range than is found

among different barbell plates weights.

While we must adhere to the rules, and not

re-define lifts, David's one-hand-anyhow lift

from the floor did adhere to the rules for this

lift (there aren't any rules, just get the weight

off the floor, one inch, one foot) and did not

re-define any lift.

The picture taken at Horne's contest show him doing a and thigh lift ,although at the point the pic was taken the weight was still on the ground . That is the same rig used in a hand and thigh lift except of course 2 hands are normaly used . A far harder lift would be with an olympic bar either in front or straddled or even from the side . As I said before this is partial lift and is the easiest way to lift the most weight onehanded . It can only be compared to lifts done on the same equipment .

Old Guy,

I understand what you are saying, but it appears to

me that any deadlift or partial deadlift that ends with

the bar against the thigh(s) could appear to be a hand

and thigh lift, but in order to qualify as a hand and thigh

lift, does not the thigh have to aid in the elevation of

the weight? Are you saying that David bent his leg

enough so that when the leg was straightened all

he did was hold the weight in place against his thigh

so that the weight raised against the thigh? Frankly, it

did not appear there was enough range of motion for

that to happen, but again, if what he performed was a

one hand anyhow lift off the ground, then we must

not require him to finish in that silly position that Cyr

is shown in the famous drawing where he is elevating

535 lbs with one finger and appears to be leaning

forward while doing it, which hopefully no serious

student of the game will consider possible.

In a related matter, Bob Peoples had been crticized

for his two hands deadlift style of not bringing his

shoulders back at the finish, but appearing to be in the

beginning position of a shoulder shrug. So do we discount all the records Bob set because of this?

Your attention to detail is to be admired, but so is

David's lift.

Guest StrongerthanArne

This David bashing is beyond me. OldGuy what is your problem? David broke Görners one hand lift, not his one hand deadlift. Some lifts cannot be duplicated as the equipment is no longer available. As David pointed out himself, Görner could probably have lifted more but this is not David's fault. How much does David have to lift for you to consider it a record? One certainly gets the impression that this whole thing is personal and has little to do with discussions of record breaking feats.

Guest Jay Ansuini

Mr. Horne's lift was one of the most amazing and awe-inspiring things I have ever seen.  I, myself, did not witness this feat in person, but I certainly would not question it's validity.  Why would anyone in their right mind say that a 330+ kg lift is in any way easy, or claim that there is any easy way to do it?  Especially a 330+ kg lift with one $%^&ing hand!?!  I suppose I could get carried away with this, but I think most of you feel the same way so there is no need.

Mr. Horne, keep up the phenomenal work.

He didn't say it was an easy lift, which it is obvious it's not.  He said it was the easiest way to lift a heavy weight with one hand.  I also read someone here say that Olympic lifts use different equipment, which is only true as far as brand names like York or Eliko.  The variance in weights is very strict and calibrated, and all specs on the bars and weights are exact, such as length, weight plate's height from the ground, diameter of the bar's grip, etc. . .

There may be some confusion about this lift because the caption on the grippage under this lift's picture describes it as a one handed deadlift.