Question?

Lucasraymond

I'm not offended about it failing, just curious!

Lucas - not referring only to you - at least 5 people have contacted me since this method of voting came about - I liked the old way better I think although I know it was adding onto an already heavy workload for a few people. Growing pains maybe?

I'm not offended about it failing, just curious!

Lucas - not referring only to you - at least 5 people have contacted me since this method of voting came about - I liked the old way better I think although I know it was adding onto an already heavy workload for a few people. Growing pains maybe?

Chris, at least there is a lot of action now. Before the change many people barely knew about the lists. Now there are many submissions each week with a great variety of lifts.

For those of you that ACTUALLY know me...I'm not a controversial person at all but that doesn't mean that I won't question a process to try to make it better. Yes my method could have been a different way. I do however get pissed when someone is questioning my integrity and feel like I am being called a cheater cause that is BS.

And at the same time Mike S and I have had our differences over prior crap but I absolutely respect his thoughts and ideas as I do everyone's; but after NAGS I was in straight defense mode and felt like the whole thing was a backlash directed at myself.

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 1

For those of you that ACTUALLY know me...I'm not a controversial person at all but that doesn't mean that I won't question a process to try to make it better. Yes my method could have been a different way. I do however get pissed when someone is questioning my integrity and feel like I am being called a cheater cause that is BS.

Who's questioning your integrity? I think they're just questioning your lockout.

Who's questioning your integrity? I think they're just questioning your lockout.

That was about after NAGS...not at this time!! I was basically just saying that NAGS was the only time that I have been pissed or got offended over anything.

• Like 1

Before anyone misreads anything....I am NOT saying anyone is questioning my integrity about this lift!!!

What is the big draw to these lists anyway? I completely understand that it's cool to accomplish goals and many of these feats are probably long term goals for some, but I'm really struggling with the whole concept of why it's so important for certain people to have their name on some obscure list. Does it really matter either way? Wouldn't it mean a whole lot more to accomplish these lifts in a contest setting? It just seems to me that this entire process has caused lots of arguments and lots of hard feelings.

• Like 2

What is the big draw to these lists anyway? I completely understand that it's cool to accomplish goals and many of these feats are probably long term goals for some, but I'm really struggling with the whole concept of why it's so important for certain people to have their name on some obscure list. Does it really matter either way? Wouldn't it mean a whole lot more to accomplish these lifts in a contest setting? It just seems to me that this entire process has caused lots of arguments and lots of hard feelings.

Says a dude who has MM0 over his name lol.

In all seriousness, not everyone can make it to a contest, and further, contests are a set of lifts of someone else's choosing. These lists allow people to work on their own goals and offer something to shoot for and serve as motivation to new athletes. If people have hard feelings over failed lifts, they can put on their big girl panties and make another video.

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is. Shoot another video. Its not like the MM Ladder where you have to ship the gripper back and forth or a bending cert with rare steel.

• Like 1

Good point.

Added: I have an MM1 above my name, but you wont find my name on the MM1 list. I asked Bill many years ago to remove my name as I was tired of all the bullsh*t associated with it. I also had my name removed from IM's #3 list due to my inability to credit card width a #3.

Edited by Rick Walker
  • Like 1

In all seriousness, not everyone can make it to a contest, and further, contests are a set of lifts of someone else's choosing. These lists allow people to work on their own goals and offer something to shoot for and serve as motivation to new athletes. If people have hard feelings over failed lifts, they can put on their big girl panties and make another video.

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is. Shoot another video. Its not like the MM Ladder where you have to ship the gripper back and forth or a bending cert with rare steel.

That's what I plan on doing...just know that I need to pause at the top now which is all I was wondering.

That's what I plan on doing...just know that I need to pause at the top now which is all I was wondering.

Yeah that wasn't directed at you specifically Luke. I think its fine to post and ask what the problem was. I also see that the votes are now public.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Lucas how do we know this wasn't one of your "tests" again? How do we know you didn't pause at the lockout on purpose to find another flaw with the cert process?

Luke, if thats what this is, you either need to get a job or a girlfriend.
I understand this as sarcasm which doesnt bother me...but the fact that ppl were offended by me questioning the system (not the ppl) is ridiculous! If your not looking to make it better then what's the sense of doing it. Why just accept it for what it is?
Yes, sarcasm.

But on a serious note, your constant questioning of peoples ability to interpret rules implies that you think your smarter than the masses.

And if that is the case, then please, offer your solution that we are all missing.

IMO lifting rules should not have interpretation tothem...they should be specific guidelines which allow minimal to no interpretation. In this case with the hub; add a rule that says a short pause should be noted at lockout or along those lines. Easy fix! Not sure how this questions anyone's intelligence...but then again Obama is our president so I always question our country's intelligence. (sarcasm- someone will get offended) :tongue

• Like 1

On a side note, I noticed that Juha's poll was made public so that everyone can see which way each other voted. I'm not sure that was a move in the right direction, but that's my opinion.

I have a different opinion than others on this; I feel that if public voting will determine if a feat is passed then it should be public why it did or why it did not. Like other people have said the only reason is that people get offended versus taking constructive criticism. I personally have no problem explaining either way why I voted but in a constructive way.

Lucas how do we know this wasn't one of your "tests" again? How do we know you didn't pause at the lockout on purpose to find another flaw with the cert process?

I understand this as sarcasm which doesnt bother me...but the fact that ppl were offended by me questioning the system (not the ppl) is ridiculous! If your not looking to make it better then what's the sense of doing it. Why just accept it for what it is?
Yes, sarcasm.

But on a serious note, your constant questioning of peoples ability to interpret rules implies that you think your smarter than the masses.

And if that is the case, then please, offer your solution that we are all missing.

IMO lifting rules should not have interpretation tothem...they should be specific guidelines which allow minimal to no interpretation. In this case with the hub; add a rule that says a short pause should be noted at lockout or along those lines. Easy fix! Not sure how this questions anyone's intelligence...but then again Obama is our president so I always question our country's intelligence. (sarcasm- someone will get offended) :tongue

The "Rules" should be absolute - no interpretation possible - but this is not as easy as it sounds. People read and then "see" things differently as is clear many times on here. When issues arise - perhaps a review of what is written is needed? My buddy Josh Dale (AKA Feat Cheater) and I have had several discussions about this over the years. Find a problem - fix a problem - its the best any of us can do.

Yes, sarcasm.

The "Rules" should be absolute - no interpretation possible - but this is not as easy as it sounds. People read and then "see" things differently as is clear many times on here. When issues arise - perhaps a review of what is written is needed? My buddy Josh Dale (AKA Feat Cheater) and I have had several discussions about this over the years. Find a problem - fix a problem - its the best any of us can do.

Yes...and I feel these discussions while continue to come up but people should try to talk about it like grown ups, including myself to fix the problem not just push it under the table. If there wasn't a problem with it then discussions wouldn't come up.

Edited by Lucasraymond

On a side note, I noticed that Juha's poll was made public so that everyone can see which way each other voted. I'm not sure that was a move in the right direction, but that's my opinion.

I suspect this was unintentional.

Tommy that's because we are predominantly populated in the big cities...us country folk are much different story!

As long as we have Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, incidentally where we get more than 75% of our 50,000+ inmates, we will always be a blue state. Please do not lump those of us who live in the sticks and cling to our guns and religions in with those who believe welfare is a career choice.

• Like 1

At least we agree on something!!

I can definitely understand what you're saying. It's just painful to watch when I see a bunch of good guys getting ugly at each other over something that really doesn't mean all that much in the whole scheme of things.

I can definitely understand what you're saying. It's just painful to watch when I see a bunch of good guys getting ugly at each other over something that really doesn't mean all that much in the whole scheme of things.

With that I definitely agree.

It was a good lift within the rules, a fluid motion would show no break in cadence, which there was, lock-out was achieved and the naysayers have failed a valid lift, which in turn has made a travesty of the peer review system.

...as for the blue religious stuff...really! :huh:

It was a good lift within the rules, a fluid motion would show no break in cadence, which there was, lock-out was achieved and the naysayers have failed a valid lift, which in turn has made a travesty of the peer review system.

In your completely unbiased opinion, of course.

In your completely unbiased opinion, of course.

In my completely omnivorous view, yes! :)