Question?

Lucasraymond

Would anybody be opposed to having to list a reason if a feat is judged as a failed vote? I'm just curious why my lift was failed...since nobody was willing to do this I have no idea why it failed!

For the record I was the first one to pass this lift. I thought it was excellent and more impressive with a short pin. However, I can understand why some people voted no, as the lockout was a touch quick.

Luke, post your video here. I don't think I voted on it but I will give you an honest critique.

He is talking about this one:

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=43675

To be honest, I was pretty surprised it failed. The only reason I can think of is the fact that there was no pause at the lockout, but that isn't a requirement in the rules posted. People often like to see the pause though and judges even require it at some comps even when it isn't explicitly written in the rules. I didn't get a chance to vote, but I would have passed the lift Luke. I go by the exact rules posted.

Edited by Chez

Luke, that was a solid lift! I would've passed it, if I saw this earlier. The only reason I can see anyone failing it is at the top. And that would be really close. I would give it to the lifter in a situation like that. Like Tommy said, it looked easy for you ... Hit it again and kill it!

When I first saw it I was going to vote no, but I went back and watched it in slow motion and saw you were fully erect, just not with a pause, but the rules don't call for a pause, so I voted yes.

I also voted yes, and would like to know what caused some people to fail the lift.

The lockout seemed effortless to me, with back erect, knees straight, and you even pulled "past" lockout. That's what I looked for.

The problem with explanations is that emotions can get the better of us when we work our asses off and find that our lifts were failed for a reason that we see unfit. Wish there was an anonymous way to do this.

To me there was no lock out. Up and down was one fluid motion.

After watching it again, I had seen this video and had chosen not to vote. In the rules it does not say anything about a pause at the top. In my interpretation, though, and that is where the whole problem lies in interpretation, lockout is not only about achieving the correct position but maintaining it. You definitely hit the full upright position but was it maintained long enough, was it "locked"? I am way too inexperienced to tell and chose not to vote.

This is a monstrous lift. And it will only get better.

Good point tho...

I noticed this too, but I thought the shorter loading pin really compensated for it. Its a small detail, but I agree there was no pause at the top. I read the rules again for specificity, and it says back and shoulders or whatnot, like a real PL DL lockout, and in that regard it was just a bit iffy.

Either way, incredibly strong lift and I know Luke can replicate it. Like I said before, Grip is easy to just video again. Not like an irreplaceable calibrated bar was used in the attempt.

Also Luke, in regard to your first post, I think for a failed lift, just soliciting feedback from the board after will answer your questions.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

Lucas how do we know this wasn't one of your "tests" again? How do we know you didn't pause at the lockout on purpose to find another flaw with the cert process?

• Like 3

I passed it, it fit all the rules and was a good lift in my opinion, the lockout was hit and then set down. There is no rule about a pause, or about how pronounced the lockout must be.

I'm pretty sure there is an option in the forum software to make the voting public so you can see how people voted. Might be nice to discuss enabling that so everyone can see who voted what.

If your not willing to make your opinion on a feat public then maybe you shouldn't be voting.

• Like 2

I passed the lift! It looked very easy. I was locked out!!! This is not a deadlift where you have to wait for the down signal.

I agree. To me a lockout implies there should be a noticable moment of control at the top of the motion. You see a lot of people who submit a feat doing an extra long hold at the top just to make damn sure. The finnish dude now holding the world record in the hub also did an extra long hold just to make sure.

Maybe there should be something in the rules about a pause or no pause, just to make it clear for everybody?

• Like 1

There is some controversy about what lock out means but for me that was not lock out. When i posted my 2x20kg pinch for judging i knew passing would depend about interpretation. Lift did not pass and now i know that such lifts are not good enough.

I passed it, it fit all the rules and was a good lift in my opinion, the lockout was hit and then set down. There is no rule about a pause, or about how pronounced the lockout must be.

I'm pretty sure there is an option in the forum software to make the voting public so you can see how people voted. Might be nice to discuss enabling that so everyone can see who voted what.

If your not willing to make your opinion on a feat public then maybe you shouldn't be voting.

I am more than willing to say exactly what i think.

Where i find flaw in his request was the flip side to that coin. If everyone has to offer up a post along with a fail vote, then it makes equal sense to explain why we cast a pass vote. Pointless.

Where this gets old is a constant "challenging" of votes. Or how "others" "might" be reading the rules. Wtf? Man up and deal with it if it fails. Re do it. No need to try and start talking reckless to the guy that voted fail by calling him out. Because it wont change the vote.

People can feel free to sit and bitch and complain about the feats forum all they want. And you can sit and criticize it all you want. And while you focus on your null and void points, im seeing it all for what it really is... An increase in member participation. And more active invlovement in grip. And thats a good thing. No matter how flaw the system.

Point well taken.

No this was not a test by any means but look at the misunderstanding of the rules...there is no rule about a pause or lockout! Should there be? I don't know! I'm not mad about it failing just curious is all!

Lucas how do we know this wasn't one of your "tests" again? How do we know you didn't pause at the lockout on purpose to find another flaw with the cert process?

Luke, if thats what this is, you either need to get a job or a girlfriend.

I understand this as sarcasm which doesnt bother me...but the fact that ppl were offended by me questioning the system (not the ppl) is ridiculous! If your not looking to make it better then what's the sense of doing it. Why just accept it for what it is?

Actually Rule #2 says lift must be locked out and back erect. Though I passed it, I understand the technical point.

And for myself, I wasn't offended by you questioning the system, only the manner in which you did it.

I'm sure you can replicate this lift any day of the week. I look forward to 80# from you.

Yeah I only meant 'pause' not lockout.

Actually Rule #2 says lift must be locked out and back erect. Though I passed it, I understand the technical point.

And for myself, I wasn't offended by you questioning the system, only the manner in which you did it.

I'm sure you can replicate this lift any day of the week. I look forward to 80# from you.

Yeah I only meant 'pause' not both. I really did not think that I was going to offend anybody but I was wrong and willing to apologize for that. If judges are going to require a lift to have a pause at the top then the rules should state so. I agree that there was no pause but I did reach full lockout position. I'm not sure why it is such an evil thing to ask why a feat was failed; especially here when there were so many passes compared to fails.

I can understand wanting to know so you can work on the mistakes, and eventually pass the cert. But honestly it seems you are looking to argue or fight in the past when your certs were failed. Then Add the "test" you made publicly know. It seems like you enjoy stirring the pot or fighting. So honestly it's tough to tell why you want to know. And I can understand the board being on edge or insulted.

Not the first time people have ended up mad when attempts were failed - lots of hard feeling seem to be happening. I've pretty much quit participating for that reason. I've had several people contact me lately about this subject - not sure its working out so well.

Fight in the past was over NAGS and basically claiming that Jedd and I had an unfair advantage, nothing about feat judging...the clean and press feat was my first to be failed so not sure where you are getting this information. Did I argue in my original post; I was just curious why it failed because I didn't think it was a question - no hurt feelings as I plan on doing this again in the future just want to know for those future lifts.

Edited by Lucasraymond
  • Like 1

Not the first time people have ended up mad when attempts were failed - lots of hard feeling seem to be happening. I've pretty much quit participating for that reason. I've had several people contact me lately about this subject - not sure its working out so well.

So many strong dudes. So many weak egos.

• Like 1

I'm not offended about it failing, just curious!

Edited by Lucasraymond