2015 North American Nationals Events

andurniat

Andrew, do you know the average time frame were looking at for the wrist roller event ? Hoping its not under 10 seconds again. Id love to see it more endurance and strength based rather than speed this time. Thanks !

Definitely looking to lengthen out the timeframe this year. My goal is to have 10-15sec. be fast and then am going to implement a similar points system, like the medley. Faster is better, but not by so much as it severely benefits/hurts a single performance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks to be a great event! Saw the hammers in the medley so I think I'm in... ;)

Thanks for the info Andrew!

Here is an explanation of the Wrist Roller event for NAGS 2015

Hopefully, this is put up with enough advance warning so everyone can train it properly.

• Like 1

For the record, in response to Andrew's "weight in your hands" comment in the video, you can expect the weight on the sled to be the measured weight of the implement and plates. The "actual" weight will be slightly more than the measured weight due to the friction between the sled and the concrete and the variable angle of the pillar. The force needed to overcome friction doesn't do to the weight what some might think, and the total maximum effective weight would be = measured weight of plates and sled + weight of pillar + weight of pull rope. The friction will add a negligble amount of opposing force. So yes, it will "feel" heavier than if you just hung the same weight below the roller, but certainly not heavier than the full weight of the pillar + rope + weight plates + sled.

Basically, work with a weight heavier than the expected weight for this event and you'll be fine.

• Like 2

Thank you Zach for the physics. I will add that the sled is being pulled up a 7.5degree angle, not sure if that has much effect, but full disclosure.

Is this a consistent weight or will it feel gradually heavier as the sled is pulled?

The "feel" of it will get heavier as you pull it, but the variance will be no more than the weight of the pillar. If the pillar weighs 20lbs, then an 80lb sled could feel as heavy as 100lb and as light as 80lbs. That would only be for a brief period of time though, and nearer the end than the start. Since your pulling a sled, the rope is only under tension while you're pulling. If you let it down, then it only weighs as much as the pillar does multiplied by it's angle from horizontal. It's a good idea really, because the spotters only have to catch a light pillar and not the full weight of an implement like in 2013.

Thank you Zach for the physics. I will add that the sled is being pulled up a 7.5degree angle, not sure if that has much effect, but full disclosure.

Np! And naw, the angle is only necessary if you really want to know exactly the numbers involved. Given such what would be a low coefficient of friction and such a shallow angle, there just isn't much point going through the riggamarole as it would add up to a few percent difference in total weight.

Edited by MalachiMcMullen
  • Like 1

With Zach's math skills; here is the approximate weight of everything: plates (100#), sled (15#), rope+carabiners (5#), pillar (30#). Approximately 150# of total weight being moved.

Andrew, could you tell us roughly how much (length) of rope gets wound up when the sled is pulled the full distance?

• Like 1

Andrew, could you tell us roughly how much (length) of rope gets wound up when the sled is pulled the full distance?

Looks like 55" of rope will be wound around the 1.9" diameter painted smooth pipe.

• 3 weeks later...

On the Hampton hub lift, are we going pure claw technique, or are we going ninja grip, where the fingertips touch in the corners, where the spines meet the hub?

On the Hampton hub lift, are we going pure claw technique, or are we going ninja grip, where the fingertips touch in the corners, where the spines meet the hub?

Lift it by the hub onto an 18" platform using the fingers of one hand.

Interpret that however you will.

Debate in another thread please.

• Like 2

Do I need to qualify to compete? If so, can you point me in the right direction?

• Like 1

Paid Entries received:

Jedd Johnson

Everyone is also welcomed to submit payment via paypal if you'd like. My address is: andurniat@hotmail.com

You must still send/scan/email me your entry form so I can have the scoring and platforms set-up beforehand.

Thank you.

Everyone is also welcomed to submit payment via paypal if you'd like.

This is probably posted and I'm just missing it, but how much is the entry fee?

nevermind - I found it.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

Will we have the opportunity to touch/feel some of the medley stuff before the actual competition? I'm pretty new to this, so I have never even seen an inch dumbbell or a york deep dish plate.

The medley will be setup all day. Allowing you to assess the implements and set-up.

Will the Tips Tester weights be announced soon? I'd like to know so that I can get an idea of whether I'll be going for the half-point or full-point weight.

• Like 1