Inch Dumbbell Lift: Body Weight Less Than The Dumbbell!

odin

Bob, that lift was so much stronger than your first lockout, the amount of improvement is more darned impressive than the "bodyweight" aspect of it.

Congratulations on your continual raising of the bar!

• Like 1

Years of dedication, just like Bruce White. Awesome feat of strength for a man of your size Bob.

Thanks Michael! Reading about Bruce White definitely helped me along the way. Your great pinching is also very inspiring.

Wow!

That is awesome! Lifting that at that light of BW is incredible bro. Well done!

And i know exactly how you feel with the hit and miss on the inch. Im in the exact boat. One day i lift it not just for a high pull, but super strict. The next day it spins right out of my hand no matter how much chalk or how good the hands are feeling. Makes zero sense.

Thanks Tommy, I never know until I've made a few attempts. Hope it keeps getting more reliable, like the Blob where I know I'm going to get it most days. Frustrating for sure!

Wow!!! what a lift!

Thanks Tuomo!

I was wondering if anyone has ever done this. Now i know. Strong work!!!

Appreciate the kind words FJM!

Great pull Bob!

Thanks Artee!

Awesome. Just trying to imagine myself lifting a dumbbell that weighs 280...

Thank you jmatney. The BW does come into play when I'm trying to lift it higher for the new cert process (like the Inch-Blob combo lift in my signature)-the weight wants me to stay hunched over and it's difficult to bring it to a place high enough where everyone would be pleased with the lockout because I run out of room without swinging it in front of my body a little bit. I don't always remember to lock it out in that style, but when I do it gets exaggerated a bit for emphasis like in the Blob-Inch lift so there can be no doubt.

Wow! Very impressive lift Bob, that's awesome bro. You got that easily.

Thanks Jake, I expect to see you lift it very soon!

super strong!!!

Thanks Juha!

Bob, that lift was so much stronger than your first lockout, the amount of improvement is more darned impressive than the "bodyweight" aspect of it.

Congratulations on your continual raising of the bar!

Thanks Mike, think I did better lockout-wise when i did the Inch-Blob combo, but it should keep getting better as long as I can keep the internal fire going.

Damn I wish I could train with you :)

Those are some insane feats of beastyness!

• Like 1

Ultra Impressive Feat Bob!!

Solid Lift and Hold

Thanks David!

Damn I wish I could train with you :)

Those are some insane feats of beastyness!

Thanks Peter, just get a plane ticket and be here at 10am on most any Saturday. :)

Coming from a power to weight ratio junkie like myself this is freaking impressive!! Many will strive and struggle to pull or pinch their bodyweight but to lift and weigh less than the Inch itself is quite remarkable. Thanks for continuing to inspire and challenge me with feats like this!

Edited by jvance
  • Like 1

Very Impressive Bob ! Your a Manimal !!! :grin:

Thanks Kody!

Coming from a power to weight ratio junkie like myself this is freaking impressive!! Many will strive and struggle to pull or pinch their bodyweight but to lift and weigh less than the Inch itself is quite remarkable. Thanks for continuing to inspire and challenge me with feats like this!

Thank you Jon! I wish I'd have known about this stuff 30-40 years ago but am pleased with the progress I've made so far. Probably couldn't have done as much as I'd have liked due to long periods of illness I went through much of my life before 1998, but fun to imagine once in a while.

Inspiring! :bow Now I want to go and train.

Inspiring! :bow Now I want to go and train.

Thanks Andrew! Let me know when FBBC is up and running again; I'd like to get a new hoodie and maybe some other stuff.

• Like 1

Awesome lift!!

• Like 1

THIS IS SO **** IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ivan! I was looking at the NAGS site and noticed you were at or near the top of many of the lists, wow!

That's pretty nuts dude!

Thank you Mike!

Awesome lift!!

Thanks Carl!

You need to print out a still photo from the top of that lift, autograph it, frame it and give it to the person who told you to stick with blobs.

That is an incredible lift.

• Like 3

You need to print out a still photo from the top of that lift, autograph it, frame it and give it to the person who told you to stick with blobs.

Indeed.

It reminded me of an incident at the gym when I was 15 years old. A guy probably in his thirties saw me and my beanpole frame of 130 pounds at probably 5'10" doing squats. He told me with an almost annoyed look on his face that I should take up basketball instead of heavy lifting. I politely replied with words to the effect, "but this is what I like". Well, not that I was ever a world champion powerlifter, but I went on to accomplish enough to make myself proud. Not much else matters in the final analysis. I'd like to say that comment infuriated me to no end and I used it as fuel to excel in every workout thereafter, but that's not true. Frankly, even at 15 it struck me as strange that a grown man would go out of his way to say a discouraging word to a kid trying to better himself. The take-away, be encouraging to others trying to improve. Regardless of their lack of natural ability. :)

• Like 3

Indeed.

It reminded me of an incident at the gym when I was 15 years old. A guy probably in his thirties saw me and my beanpole frame of 130 pounds at probably 5'10" doing squats. He told me with an almost annoyed look on his face that I should take up basketball instead of heavy lifting. I politely replied with words to the effect, "but this is what I like". Well, not that I was ever a world champion powerlifter, but I went on to accomplish enough to make myself proud. Not much else matters in the final analysis. I'd like to say that comment infuriated me to no end and I used it as fuel to excel in every workout thereafter, but that's not true. Frankly, even at 15 it struck me as strange that a grown man would go out of his way to say a discouraging word to a kid trying to better himself. The take-away, be encouraging to others trying to improve. Regardless of their lack of natural ability. :)

Something I have given a bit of thought to is the sports we choose because we like it - or social pressure from friends - or whatever versus the sport we actually have a better natural ability for. In the old Soviet system (and a few others) kids were "sorted" by a selection process and pointed to where they were thought to have better abilities genetically. Somethings, like tall guys and basketball, are pretty obvious but other things I would think might to easy to get wrong if you sort very early on.

Thanks guys! Eric, I understand your "basketball"-related experience, as there are things in grip (grippers and two-hand pinch I've been told) and other areas of life I may have seemingly more innate potential in, but they don't inspire me to focus on them.

I don't use negative comments and anger for 'fuel' very much as it doesn't seem to help me unless I'm feeling really off my game and feel the need to add it to the mix. I know several people that creatively use anger along with their imaginations to increase strength. For me, my best workouts happen when I'm feeling most peaceful, focused and connected to the outdoors/nature/universe in some way. That's one reason i like to train at night and sometimes even lift with my eyes closed to increase focus.

Don't get me wrong, I am far from Dave Thornton in the 'nice guy' department; especially if something seems like an injustice/differential treatment or someone is getting bullied/abused I will get as angry or angrier than anyone, but it's pretty rare for me. Usually I will keep my mouth shut when I'm angry because I 'consider the source', unless it is obvious something needs to happen (like at work for example, you often need to address issues on the fly and not look the other way), or it causes me to lose self-respect by keeping quiet, and then I attempt to work it out with the party involved and may seek feedback from and privately express my opinions to a few I respect highly to see if my thinking is off. As far as sending a photo to a doubting person, at this point it wouldn't make me feel any better as it happened so long ago and he was probably just saying what many were understandably thinking-hell, I had moments where I wondered if I would be still working towards the Inch without success until I died or was too damaged physically to continue, the thought of giving up never lasted more than a second although I often focused on other areas for extended periods after stalling on Inch progress. Someone doubting my abilities does help me when the internal fire to train is lessening, especially now as I feel like i will exceed the initial goals I had for myself and have had to reset them at higher levels.

Speaking of which, here's a lift I never imagined doing with the Inch :) : gallery_3446_59_133458.png

• Like 2

Bob, You have come a long and impresssive way - no doubt!!!

• Like 1

I did it wheing aprox 82 kg, close, but still a few kilos on the wrong side :-)

• Like 1

Bob, You have come a long and impresssive way - no doubt!!!

Thank you Burkhard!

I did it wheing aprox 82 kg, close, but still a few kilos on the wrong side :-)

Thank you Captain Sam, I knew you were close! That's still a great strength-weight ratio! Whose Inch was it?