Looking For Man Strongest In Deadlift Lockout And Inch Replica Clean A

1stCoC

Adam Glass was doing big rack pulls a few years back - I forget what he got but probably close to that number. It's kind of hard to even load that much on a standard bar without some pretty thin plates - regular plates won't give much over a grand.

Adam Glass was doing big rack pulls a few years back - I forget what he got but probably close to that number. It's kind of hard to even load that much on a standard bar without some pretty thin plates - regular plates won't give much over a grand.

I think he was around 1200#. Maybe more. No straps. Possibly DO lol.

Edited by Mike Sharkey

These are not rack pulls. They guy called them deadlift lock outs. Rack pulls are pulled usually from about knee level. Most guys pull from the floor only 60-100lbs less than their rack pull.

I can't imagine anyone holding 1200lbs without a hook grip doh.

I can't imagine anyone holding 1200lbs without a hook grip doh

Definitely not hook. Maybe mixed.

but you said possibly doh. A reg doh looks like a doh hook.

I can't imagine anyone holding 1200lbs without a hook grip doh

Definitely not hook. Maybe mixed.

but you said possibly doh. A reg doh looks like a doh hook.

yeah but I know Adam isn't using hook grip.

Searched youtube a bit. Found a lot of 1000lbs+ lockouts but all of them with straps (including Adam Glass).

Only one doing 1000lbs I found with a mixed grip without straps so far. No way to verify the weight off course. Looks comfortable in the grip department though.

Edited by Royz

Lots of good names listed already. Brian Shaw might also be a good candidate.

Sorry to hear there is no Mighty Mitts this year. Hopefully sometime down the road it will be back though.

Bud Jeffries.

Good suggestion Mike!

Which reminds me that Mike "The Machine" Bruce has stated and has pictures of himself doing a 1500 lb lockout in the presence of Bud Jeffries.

However he is using straps....that doesn't automatically mean he needs them, but it wouldn't hurt to contact him and inquire.

He is certainly no stranger to performing awesome feats of strength.

• 2 weeks later...

Still considering it as a challenge event at the Arnold's. There are a few 900 + dead lifters we are looking at to haul up from just above knees more than 1331 raw.

Richard, do you know if the Mark Henry Bell will be at the Arnold this year? Thanks.

• Like 1

There was a mention by Terry Todd about this . It may be used in a separate booth or on stage at some time. If I had to guess I would say it most likely will be there , how and where right now I don't know. Mark being an honorable man would still would back up his challenge prize if it were successfully and correctly lifted out of the box.

• Like 1

There appears to be some crazy talk on here about "lockouts"!

If you are training true lockouts to improve your deadlift, you want to set the bar about mid shin level. You should be a bit weaker from this point than a full pull off the floor. Reason being, when pulling from the floor, the bar begins to lose speed at around mid shin which then causes you to fail at around the knees. If you train the lockout from mid shin, jam yourself tight to the bar and do a true mid shin lockout.

Now, above the knee cap? That's a whole new ball game. If you are only 50-100 pounds stronger above the knee cap than you are off the floor you have some serious strength deficiencies. I just re-measured my wing span. It is actually 75.25" at 69" tall. The distance from above my knee caps to lockout, with a bending bar, is about 4-5" at the most. This movement is nothing more than a forceful hip flexion and does not involve the strength of the legs much at all. It is hips and lower back and glutes. It is not mind boggling to think of someone easily eclipsing 1300+ in this lift. Practice makes perfect.

If you want to rack pull more, just step back an inch or 2 to allow your knees to shift forward and get your hips closer to the bar. Now pull back, not up. You will be amazed how much weight you can haul up.

There appears to be some crazy talk on here about "lockouts"!

If you are training true lockouts to improve your deadlift, you want to set the bar about mid shin level. You should be a bit weaker from this point than a full pull off the floor. Reason being, when pulling from the floor, the bar begins to lose speed at around mid shin which then causes you to fail at around the knees. If you train the lockout from mid shin, jam yourself tight to the bar and do a true mid shin lockout.

Now, above the knee cap? That's a whole new ball game. If you are only 50-100 pounds stronger above the knee cap than you are off the floor you have some serious strength deficiencies. I just re-measured my wing span. It is actually 75.25" at 69" tall. The distance from above my knee caps to lockout, with a bending bar, is about 4-5" at the most. This movement is nothing more than a forceful hip flexion and does not involve the strength of the legs much at all. It is hips and lower back and glutes. It is not mind boggling to think of someone easily eclipsing 1300+ in this lift. Practice makes perfect.

If you want to rack pull more, just step back an inch or 2 to allow your knees to shift forward and get your hips closer to the bar. Now pull back, not up. You will be amazed how much weight you can haul up.

I saw a video by Jeremy Hamilton where he says the same thing that block pulls will actually help your lift from the floor, pretty interesting stuff.

You can more or less make a pull from above the knees in a rack anything you want it to be. I think it was the first Gripboard Grip Bash I hosted (online contest) where we contested a double overhand, no hook, olympic bar lockout. I specified no thigh support in the rules. I pulled a little over 500, if I remember correctly, and the winner of the event pulled in the high 700s I believe. I learned my lesson about ever contesting an event that could be performed in that gray area , with regards to rules interpretations, even if it was just an online event. Like Rick suggested, a "lockout" can become something akin to a hands and thigh lift, without the lifter even being aware of it. So for the record, I'm not suggesting the winner of the event at that contest intentionally broke any rules. I'd be SUPER impressed by anyone holding with a double over grip an oly bar (with no permanent bend in the bar) loaded to over 700 pounds with only incidental thigh contact.

And as the Mac suggested, good luck trying to judge such an event if the amount of support lent by the thighs is a consideration.

I saw a video by Jeremy Hamilton where he says the same thing that block pulls will actually help your lift from the floor, pretty interesting stuff.

Blocks are far better as they allow the lift to be started with a straight bar instead of a bent bar in the cage.

Deadlift lockouts over 1000lbs can do thousands of people. but cleaning the INCH...a handfull of people. I think the big guys in Strongman could lockout more than 1500lbs. I have lifted 1000lbs a few times in the past. It is not so hard as it sounds. But always mixed grip. Double overhand -> no way :-)

• Like 1

I have searched for 29 years to find a legit lift of over 1331 lbs raw with just the hands not touching body , from a position accurately placed in the groove above the patella. Rick Walker seemed to understand clearly what is involved. To lift a freely revolving Olympic bar from that height would be a simple means to test what the hands (and back ) could actively move and support. We / I are not talking gear, straps, hooks, ,hook grip ,or from on or below kneecap ,nor any hitching ,stopping,hitching, resting or dragging not allowed in powerlifting . If done by criteria set forth is what is being discussed here. Also , raw 1000 lb lockouts are if you truly lift know are quite scarce.

Three points we have considered if hands are not resting on thighs , the bar is not able to over flex ( preventing possible weight clearing supports, when when blocks, and feet are placed in a conventional style shoulder width or less the chance of the lockout being tainted is lowered. Still mainly a test of moving for a few inches the greatest weight held by raw hands alone. I stillencourage and direct pictures or solid information of more than 1331 pulled raw frm just above knees.

At this late date the general consensus of no lifts occurring , or being verified by "trusted members " of the grip board or any one else ,we are not considering this lock outb lift as a a lift of interest ,or outstanding value to command time or substantial funds of reward.. Thanks to all the input offered but, since doubt is high and interest low ., we will bypass this lift as an offered challenge at the Arnold's sports festival and possibility of recognition in the Guiness book of records.

Richard-

This may be the wrong forum for this sort of thing. A lot of people who frequent The Gripboard do only grip. I think if you offered it up as an event with a shot at getting into the Guinness Record Book, you might get interest from the strength world.

Just a thought. I think the event is a great idea. If the rules are in place and knowledgeable people are judging, it should go off without an issue. I miss the old WPO days at the Arnold watching Steve Goggins squat well over 1000 twice!!