Having Problems Closing The Heavy Grips 250 And Problems With The Dog

Liam-James

Hi guys I'm loving doing my gripper training since I started incorporating it into my workouts last year my grip strength feels souch better but I'm having serious trouble getting the Heavy Grips 250 closed.

I get to about 5mm from a full close and I just can not get it to close that tiny but more and I'm wondering if its down to the leverage on the handles of the gripper more than my own personal grip strength.

I've noticed that the dog leg is positioned slightly higher than the leg my fingers grip to if I do an assisted full close both legs aren't in line with each other and the dog leg sits higher up and closer to the underside of the spring. There's barely any gap between the start of the handle and the spring and I believe this is causing me leverage issues making it impossible to close.

Is there anyrhing I can do? I've looked at pics of other HG 250's and the legs look lower down and better positioned I've bought my heavy grips off of Amazon currently I have a 100,150,200 and 250 and csn close them so easily but I'm desperate to get it closed so I can purchase a 300 thanks guys for any help in advance.

hello. did you think of taking your HG200, and filing off the inner ends of the handles? at an angle. that would take you "beyond the range" . it might help you on the HG250. just a thought. thank you.

• Like 1

What is your grip experience and what can you currently do with the HG200? How are you trying to close the HG250 (CCS / block set / or no set)

I closed by HG250 after doing long reps and grip holding them shut for 10 seconds+

The video mentioned above on how to hold and set a gripper is very good and must for every enthusiast to the gripper community!

• Like 1

When I closed the 250 for the first time I tested reps out on the 200 and I could do roughly 60 reps. But when I closed the 300 I could do roughly 45 reps on the 250..

They are very inconsistent, buy other grippers and you shall see faster progress.

• Like 1

I can do about 20 reps if I'm fresh on the 200 my grip technique is pretty good and similar to the guy in the vid I know its important to make sure its set properly in the hand which I make sure I do. As I close the 250 I get to about half a centimer from closing it and I just can't go anymore so then I just use my other hand to close it fully then hold it for 20+ seconds until my grip can't go any further.

I haven't done any other forms of grip training I'm not currently in a gym as money problems have made it tough, so all I do is my job which is manual labour work and I do press ups and chin ups at home a lot and also love arm wrestling I beat mostly everyone I have a go against for fun then I just came across grippers on YouTube and thought they look really food to help improve my grip strength further and decided to go with the heavy grips first as there cheaper and as my grip strength improves I was going to step up to the captains of crush.

I hear a LOT of this kind of thing. It's almost ALWAYS a technique problem. How's your technique?

Here's a video I did a few years ago that has helped a LOT of people make INSTANT improvements on their grippers because of technical improvements.

I would move away from high reps on the 200. They DO NOT carry over to closes on bigger grippers.

• Like 1

I think the trouble as well is my hands are pretty slim and small they just aren't big lol. I've watched some videos where the grippers look small in a guys palm and they can wrap the fingers and thumb around a gripper and its almost like there whole hand swallows the gripper but for me its much more of a struggle and my hands are smaller and not thick at all.

This is my HG 250 as you can see one hadle is higher than the other but both handles in my opinion are really high up and close to the spring. My other heavy grips and others I have saw on videos etc have more of a gap between the start of the handle and the spring.

I really think this has an affect on the close because o get so close but physically cannot budge it anymore I think I've I could pull the handles a few millimetre furthest away I'd be able to close the thing it all comes down to leverage and there's barely any on mine what so ever.

post-23510-0-40224300-1421276119_thumb.j

post-23510-0-10664400-1421276225_thumb.j

I cant comment much as my grpper strength is mediocre at best but.....

1: grippers are highly CNS driven, try doing them between sets of squats or other full body intense movements.

2: take a look at the logs of other strong gripmen on this board to gain insight on training approaches.

3:check out the resources available from Jedd Johnson his products are extremely informative and quite affordable.

4:master the search function here, there is more information here than you can read in several years worth of free time.

5: high reps on grippers dont do jack for max gripper strength.

Hope this helps and good luck in your training!

Edited by Jose Cabrera

This is my HG 250 as you can see one hadle is higher than the other but both handles in my opinion are really high up and close to the spring. My other heavy grips and others I have saw on videos etc have more of a gap between the start of the handle and the spring.

I really think this has an affect on the close because o get so close but physically cannot budge it anymore I think I've I could pull the handles a few millimetre furthest away I'd be able to close the thing it all comes down to leverage and there's barely any on mine what so ever.

That gripper is asymmetrical for sure, but it won't be impossible in any way. Try giving it a squeeze one handed, then use the other to force it shut. You'll see that it'll yield to you, and this might give you more confidence that it can be done.

I cant comment much as my grpper strength is mediocre at best but.....

1: grippers are highly CNS driven, try doing them between sets of squats or other full body intense movements.

2: take a look at the logs of other strong gripmen on this board to gain insight on training approaches.

3:check out the resources available from Jedd Johnson his products are extremely informative and quite affordable.

4:master the search function here, there is more information here than you can read in several years worth of free time.

5: high reps on grippers dont do jack for max gripper strength.

Hope this helps and good luck in your training!

Jose, Thanks for the compliments, I truly appreciate it.

Liam-James, let me know if you have any questions about some of my products that can help you accomplish your goals.

Jedd

I learned to shut my grippers more efficiently off Jedd Johnson's videos and still do learn from them(most recently the wrist developer) !!