Löddeköpinge Grip Challenge Xix

Martin_Arildsson

Hi!

Arne Persson, Mikael Siversson and yours truly plan to arrange LGC XIX July 4th!

The events will be:

1. Grippers with 20mm block set. Both hands will be tested and the combined result will be used.

2. Two hand pinch. Heaviest weight.

3. Most probably LGC Rolling Handle, maybe Apollon's Axle.

4. Some kind of wrist event, we haven't decided yet.

We will return with more info and rules as soon as we're done planning everything!

• Like 5

Congratz to the first place Martin, in advance :D

• Like 1

Well he's got the first two events in the bag unless he has a terribly off day :)

Looking forward to results.

I'm very excited seeing a legitimate Grip contest be held in Sweden again. Apart from the thick bar grip contests, there really hasn't been a grip contest testing all areas of grip strength around here in half a decade! I'm in!

• Like 5

The usual rules will apply; rising bar system, point calibrated weigh-in scale, weighed plates and Euro set-up etc. Weigh-in starting 2
hours before contest begins.

We will use CannonWorks rated grippers, mostly IM.

I will compete in the 74k class.

• Like 2

There will be a bit of 'competition' between Martin and myself regarding the 2HP in the context of current world records in the 74k and +120k class. It would be good to see the yellow and blue at the top of the records lists in at least one weight class in the arguably most prestigious of all grip competition events (Euro 2HP) after the competition is done.

• Like 2

Any thoughts on what movement will be used for the wrist event? Knowing Arne and the history of the LGC grip contest it'll probably be some über strict preacher plate curl, am I right?

I will argue (with Arne) strongly against that as we have had it so many times and it bores me to tears. Perhaps a pronation/supination movement for a change, something you often see in medleys in grip comps held in the US.

I will argue (with Arne) strongly against that as we have had it so many times and it bores me to tears. Perhaps a pronation/supination movement for a change, something you often see in medleys in grip comps held in the US.

*Chanting*

♬plate curls♬ plate curls ♬ plate curls ♬ PLATE CURLS

• Like 1

Good News!

• Like 1

Haha! I wouldn't be so sure on that. We never know who decides to show up.

Well he's got the first two events in the bag unless he has a terribly off day :)

Looking forward to results.

I just hope it will be a fun contest. Everything else will be a bonus.

There will be a bit of 'competition' between Martin and myself regarding the 2HP in the context of current world records in the 74k and +120k class. It would be good to see the yellow and blue at the top of the records lists in at least one weight class in the arguably most prestigious of all grip competition events (Euro 2HP) after the competition is done.

We'll see how it goes... :)

Did you move back to Sweden?

I am also visiting my parents and sister (they live nearby). Additionally I will be doing some fieldwork (geology).

Is this an international competition?

• Like 2

Is this an international competition?

It's open for everyone!

Nice!

• Like 1

Any progress in planning the event?

My friend is thinking about entering the Comp.

He is beastly strong.

Well the date is the 11th of July (a Saturday) as Arne discovered he needed to be elsewhere on the 4th. I told Arne I could not have the date changed again as I need to plan flights etc well in advance, so the 11th it is. We have not yet had the discussion about the wrist event and the final discussion about the thickbar event but it will be sorted within a few weeks.

As far as I know it will be held in Loddekopinge at one of the local gyms. We would typically start at 11am or thereabouts with the weigh in starting 2 hours earlier as per the rules. This will of course give the competitors the change to drop some weight if they weigh in just above the weight limit for a given weight class (long walk perhaps).

I don't think I will struggle to meet the 74k limit as I am currently just under 73k!

It seems we will have a very nice spread of CannonWorks rated grippers, especially from the mid-130ies and up.

Would be good to see some Swedes in the top 15 lists in the big 3 (grippers 20mm, 2HP Euro and IM Axle). Right now our dear neighbours in the east are kicking our rear ends yellow and blue in these standard lifts as we are not even on the lists.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Heard a rumor that the wrist event is going to be some type of pronation/supination event. Personally I think it might be a mistake and there might be some risk involved with heavy lifting in such a sensitive and weak wrist movement. Also, unless the event is run tight, there could be risk of it being easy to cheat. There is also no history of it being in any grip contests other than in some medleys in the American grip contests.

Just my two cents. In the end I'll support whatever event is settled. But until it's official, I'd like to suggest another event.

• Like 1

I have actually had the complete opposite experience with supination/pronation training. I can train it extremely hard with no issues whatsoever. In contrast I hurt my left wrist severely (tendon snapped with a loud bang) doing a table top wrist curl at a LGC competition. If you start slowly and build up volume my experience has been that it is a safe lift. I did not think it would be but, much to my surprise, I have had no issues with this movement.

At the end of the day, competing organisers will always include pet lifts to at least a minor degree, that's just the way it is. At least I did not insist on the 1HP. Essentially Martin got his favourite pinch event (he is quite a bit better at the 2HP than the 1HP), Arne got his favourite thick bar event (The LGC handle) and I have argued that perhaps I can choose a wrist event.

I might add that I have no idea how I stack up against others in supination/pronation as I train alone.

Ultimately I don't really care too much what wrist event we do as my mission is to beat the 74k WR in the 2HP. If they select a wrist event I can't do (because of said snapped tendon) I will simply skip the last event.

Edited by Mikael Siversson

I have actually had the complete opposite experience with supination/pronation training. I can train it extremely hard with no issues whatsoever. In contrast I hurt my left wrist severely (tendon snapped with a loud bang) doing a table top wrist curl at a LGC competition.

Did this require surgery? How long did it take to recover? In 2007, in the British championships, I accidentally chose too much weight after my last good lift, so I was nowhere close on it. I remember later hearing stories of the tendon-snapping on that event (it was more than just you I believe), and thought maybe I was lucky and dodged the bullet on a serious injury.

Because that particular event was really just a "partial", and weights we had no business using were being contested, I think it was an event better left out of competitions. Much more dangerous than the Vertical Bar lift IMO...