Jump to content
EricMilfeld

Powerlifting Log

Recommended Posts

EricMilfeld
19 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Does the wider bench pad help shoulders at all?

For real. I wouldn’t have suspected it, but speaking for myself it has a totally different feel. With that narrow pad it feels like a different exercise. I spent no shortage of time being befuddled by the matter. Are the lines on this bar not 32”? Is the bar bent? Is it psychological? With the narrower pad it feels like a greater range of motion, which is counterintuitive if your shoulders are depressed. It’s all very weird. But I’ve apparently never benched on a narrow pad before until this gym came along. My shoulders and ego were not diggin’ it. 

Edit: oh and Rogue makes a pad even wider than IPF legal, called the Danny Thompson I believe. 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
2 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

For real. I wouldn’t have suspected it, but speaking for myself it has a totally different feel. With that narrow pad it feels like a different exercise. I spent no shortage of time being befuddled by the matter. Are the lines on this bar not 32”? Is the bar bent? Is it psychological? With the narrower pad it feels like a greater range of motion, which is counterintuitive if your shoulders are depressed. It’s all very weird. But I’ve apparently never benched on a narrow pad before until this gym came along. My shoulders and ego were not diggin’ it. 

Edit: oh and Rogue makes a pad even wider than IPF legal, called the Danny Thompson I believe. 

Hmmmmm. 🤔🤔🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WestSlope
24 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Hmmmmm. 🤔🤔🤔

If you decide you need a wider bench Rep fitness sells an FB-5000 with wide pad for a good price. I'm bought one of these because my left shoulder was bending the thin plywood on my old Valor bench to the point where I developed a crooked press. The pad is 1 1/2" wider than legal, but you can tell that pedantic judge in your shed to head on down the road kicking turds. Your can still do damage to your shoulders benching on it, but I bet it helps. I questioned whether benching was important enough to me to warrant the purchase. Now that I'm in this big time bench comp with a bottle of bourbon on the line it would seem to be worth every penny.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
2 hours ago, WestSlope said:

If you decide you need a wider bench Rep fitness sells an FB-5000 with wide pad for a good price. I'm bought one of these because my left shoulder was bending the thin plywood on my old Valor bench to the point where I developed a crooked press. The pad is 1 1/2" wider than legal, but you can tell that pedantic judge in your shed to head on down the road kicking turds. Your can still do damage to your shoulders benching on it, but I bet it helps. I questioned whether benching was important enough to me to warrant the purchase. Now that I'm in this big time bench comp with a bottle of bourbon on the line it would seem to be worth every penny.

Thanks Steve.  I'll definitely check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld

Deadlift

Think I’ll try some reverse pyramid stuff for a while. I will be resting only long enough between work sets to change the weight.

75x8

125x8

165x5

Reverse Pyramid Starts

195x5

165x5

135x10

* I’m pretty sure the backside of “knee” injury is the tendon of the biceps femoris where it inserts  at the tibia. The front side is probably the patellar tendon. It doesn’t hurt lifting up the deadlift, but does a little lowering the bar below the knee. 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Deadlift

Think I’ll try some reverse pyramid stuff for a while. I will be resting only long enough between work sets to change the weight.

75x8

125x8

165x5

Reverse Pyramid Starts

195x5

165x5

135x10

* I’m pretty sure the backside of “knee” injury is the tendon of the biceps femoris where it inserts  at the tibia. The front side is probably the patellar tendon. It doesn’t hurt lifting up the deadlift, but does a little lowering the bar below the knee. 

Drop it like it's hot

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld
1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Drop it like it's hot

I really want to so bad. But my neighbor below would probably rather I not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
9 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

I really want to so bad. But my neighbor below would probably rather I not. 

As a veteran of 2nd floor apartment lifting, I feel your pain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld
31 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

As a veteran of 2nd floor apartment lifting, I feel your pain.

Had a couple of lesbian lovers in Virginia take a pair of scissors to my welcome mat for this in 1990.  I talked to them about it and they agreed that some thudding for an hour a week is something they could allow me. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.
30 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Had a couple of lesbian lovers in Virginia take a pair of scissors to my welcome mat for this in 1990.  I talked to them about it and they agreed that some thudding for an hour a week is something they could allow me. 

By “thudding” do you mean they let you join in on the licker license activities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld
31 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

By “thudding” do you mean they let you join in on the licker license activities?

And I tried so hard not to use suggestive language so as to open myself up to such comments from the peanut gallery. Fail. 😿

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld

Bench

70x8

70x8

90x5

110x5

No rest between following sets:

132.5x5

117.5x5

102.5x10

Chins

bodyweight

x3

x3

x3

No rest between the sets:

137.3x5 PR!

106.7x3

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
2 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Bench

70x8

70x8

90x5

110x5

No rest between following sets:

132.5x5

117.5x5

102.5x10

Chins

bodyweight

x3

x3

x3

No rest between the sets:

137.3x5 PR!

106.7x3

 

Buff cardio!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld
2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Buff cardio!

A little bit, yeah. But not quite the gasping for breath this would have elicited with squats or deadlifts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld

Squat

Still feeling really beat-up and stale  in general. Time for some further adjustments. 

75x5

75x7

105x5

135x5

No rest between following sets:

160x5

135x5

110x10

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld

Seated Dumbbells Press (pounds)

30x3x10

50x 15

50x 20

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld

Earlier in the day:

Moved 2,000 pounds of plates and gym equipment down a flight of stairs and into my garage x1

This workout was suggested by my wife (Sandy aka Cakes).  She said it would be good for me... and our marriage.  Not sure if her turning our spare bedroom gym into her private sun room had anything to do with it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
18 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Earlier in the day:

Moved 2,000 pounds of plates and gym equipment down a flight of stairs and into my garage x1

This workout was suggested by my wife (Sandy aka Cakes).  She said it would be good for me... and our marriage.  Not sure if her turning our spare bedroom gym into her private sun room had anything to do with it.

Smart man.  Better to be happy than right.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld

It’s time for doing more than tweaking my current routine. Time for a broad sweeping change in my approach. That being said, what I’ve been doing has been berry berry good to me up until recently. I rededicated my training to powerlifting in 2014 when I was 180 pounds. At the time I was running a lot and doing a fair amount of grip. My squat wasn’t much over 300 and my bench was well under 250. In 2018 at 229 pounds I went 546, 320, 628 at Raw Nationals, with the squat being an all-time PR by a good margin. Shortly after that I deadlifted 585x4 with possibly a rep in the tank. This past summer I benched 330x3, touch-and-go. Then last October I bumped up my squat to 562. And now I feel there’s not much left to squeeze out of this wave I’ve been riding. I see it as a positive. An opportunity to learn and grow... and be trite and corny. 😆 Also, come to find out, getting older is a real thing.

Heres my plan, which will be a work in progress for the duration: much more volume, far less intensity, and a bit less slavish devotion to numbers that get stuck in my head. This was, in large part, my loosely devised plan back in 2014, but the way I tweaked that and listened a little too much to “what I should be lifting “, as opposed to what my body was trying to communicate through my thick skull is no longer serving me.  Of all the training strategies out there Reactive Training Systems resonates most with me, and has for a long time  Now it’s time to follow those themes more closely. It will be a departure from my natural inclination in training and will require a lot of self restraint. But I welcome letting go of all that pressure I tend to put on myself. I look forward to the experimentation , even if it will take some getting accustomed to a new mindset. I’m hopeful in time the new mindset will be just as motivating for me as chasing PRs in training has been for me in the past.

 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike Rinderle
12 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

It’s time for doing more than tweaking my current routine. Time for a broad sweeping change in my approach. That being said, what I’ve been doing has been berry berry good to me up until recently. I rededicated my training to powerlifting in 2014 when I was 180 pounds. At the time I was running a lot and doing a fair amount of grip. My squat wasn’t much over 300 and my bench was well under 250. In 2018 at 229 pounds I went 546, 320, 628 at Raw Nationals, with the squat being an all-time PR by a good margin. Shortly after that I deadlifted 585x4 with possibly a rep in the tank. This past summer I benched 330x3, touch-and-go. Then last October I bumped up my squat to 562. And now I feel there’s not much left to squeeze out of this wave I’ve been riding. I see it as a positive. An opportunity to learn and grow... and be trite and corny. 😆 Also, come to find out, getting older is a real thing.

Heres my plan, which will be a work in progress for the duration: much more volume, far less intensity, and a bit less slavish devotion to numbers that get stuck in my head. This was, in large part, my loosely devised plan back in 2014, but the way I tweaked that and listened a little too much to “what I should be lifting “, as opposed to what my body was trying to communicate through my thick skull is no longer serving me.  Of all the training strategies out there Reactive Training Systems resonates most with me, and has for a long time  Now it’s time to follow those themes more closely. It will be a departure from my natural inclination in training and will require a lot of self restraint. But I welcome letting go of all that pressure I tend to put on myself. I look forward to the experimentation , even if it will take some getting accustomed to a new mindset. I’m hopeful in time the new mindset will be just as motivating for me as chasing PRs in training has been for me in the past.

 

I look forward to following your next wave of progress buddy

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld

I appreciate that, Mike! It will definitely be a process as I go one-by-one putting each variable to the test. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tommy J.

Okay so hold on a minute... your not quitting PL, right?? Just changing the approach to training?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld
34 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay so hold on a minute... your not quitting PL, right?? Just changing the approach to training?

Correct. 

Injuries. Only an opening deadlift at Nationals. Lackluster workouts. They might be trying to tell me something. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stephen Anderson
39 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Correct. 

Injuries. Only an opening deadlift at Nationals. Lackluster workouts. They might be trying to tell me something. 

Good because you’re still strong as hell!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EricMilfeld
13 minutes ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Good because you’re still strong as hell!

Haha! Appreciate ya!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy policies.