Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

12 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Pause Deadlift (pauses going forward are performed an inch or two from the floor)

195x3x5

Rows

107.5x2x8

Shrugs (doing these mixed-grip from now on)

205x2x25

Strap up and load up on them shrugs trapzilla! 😂

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Strap up and load up on them shrugs trapzilla! 😂

I'm just trying to stay conditioned for mixed-grip, being that meets are the only time I intend to pull with it.

Pause Squats

177.5x8 PR!

Half Squat

285x1

High Bar (I stand close and go extra deep on these)

155x5

• Like 2

I'm skipping today's deadlift session due to heart trouble.  I awoke yesterday in atrial fibrillation. It's something that would inexplicably occur to me on rare and random occasions over the last thirty years.  Normally it would be so brief that I never gave it too much concern. But this time the episode lasted over a day.  I'm going in for further testing but have the ok to continue lifting heavy as long my heart is beating normally at the time. I'll be taking a beta blocker to prevent it from happening again.  A little scary, but I'm very optimistic about the whole thing. Hopefully I'm down for some bench pressing tomorrow.

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

I'm skipping today's deadlift session due to heart trouble.  I awoke yesterday in atrial fibrillation. It's something that would inexplicably occur to me on rare and random occasions over the last thirty years.  Normally it would be so brief that I never gave it too much concern. But this time the episode lasted over a day.  I'm going in for further testing but have the ok to continue lifting heavy as long my heart is beating normally at the time. I'll be taking a beta blocker to prevent it from happening again.  A little scary, but I'm very optimistic about the whole thing. Hopefully I'm down for some bench pressing tomorrow.

Get better dude! That’s some spooky stuff when a guy is getting pressured up too. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Get better dude! That’s some spooky stuff when a guy is getting pressured up too. 

I've had the same thing since I was 16.  Take a beta blocker for it.  Propranolol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I've had the same thing since I was 16.  Take a beta blocker for it.  Propranolol. 

Careful,  that was banned by WADA.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

It makes me so much stronger.  🙄🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shoggoth said:

Thank you. Yeah, I would never train in that state. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Sounds like it’s worked great for you. No dizziness while lifting?

24 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

And it actually is banned for some sports, such as shooting. I was glad to read it’s not banned for powerlifting. 

6 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

And it actually is banned for some sports, such as shooting. I was glad to read it’s not banned for powerlifting. 

I can see it being very effective for long range shooting. I’d think it’d be a detriment for most lifting. Gail’s on it and can barely get her heart rate over 65 exercising. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Sounds like it’s worked great for you. No dizziness while lifting?

Nope.  Actually the opposite. Less.  I think it's because your bp doesn't skyrocket as high during the lift.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

I can see it being very effective for long range shooting. I’d think it’d be a detriment for most lifting. Gail’s on it and can barely get her heart rate over 65 exercising. 

I was prescribed half of the normal dose, so hopefully that works to my advantage with lifting. Only one way to find out. But I’ll keep taking it until we at least find a root cause (or not).I think this last episode was triggered by drinking more than I usually do. 

7 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Nope.  Actually the opposite. Less.  I think it's because your bp doesn't skyrocket as high during the lift.

That’s encouraging. 

Bench

112x12

Pauses (going to try these long pauses on all benches going forward to help save my shoulders)

115x5

115x6

Sahlaney 125 Dumbbell Deadlifts

Leftx10

83 Pound Hammer Curls

Right x10

Left x10

83 Dumbbell Wrist Curls

Right x5

Left x5

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tommy J. said:

Holy moly! Those pauses are brutal

Yeah, they make each rep feel like two. 

13 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Sticking Point Pause Squat

185x5

185x6 PR!

404EA218-79AC-4AF4-A3E8-EA667DB6D921.MOV

Holy crap dude.  That was a crazy set.  If I did those I'd have to pause every two inches all the way up since my entire squat is a sticking point.  

• Haha 1

Haha, thanks, Mike!

Deadlift

200x10

2” Deficit

207.5 x7 PR!

Rows

105x10

110x8

Shrugs

210x2x20

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Big time PR

Thanks, Mike!

Was originally intending to hit 20 reps with that 200 kilos, but I chickened out. So the least I could do was get some kind of PR. 

• Like 1

Paused Bench

125x4

120x5x3

- a set of hammer curls

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

a set of hammer curls

12, 16, or 40 ounce?

• Like 1