Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

Eric: Have you tried overloading the high end of your pulls? I am currently working on bringing up my lockout (because I tend to round or hitch to finish the lift), I could also suggest bringing up your hip strength, maybe by doing heavy glute bridges or generally more glute work. Another approach is to put around 90% or 95% of your deadlift on the bar on high pins, and pulling a single then lowering the pins until you notice yourself rounding. Lighten the load and work from that ROM until your are able to pull without rounding after doing your normal deadlift workout. Just a suggestion!

Eric: Have you tried overloading the high end of your pulls? I am currently working on bringing up my lockout (because I tend to round or hitch to finish the lift), I could also suggest bringing up your hip strength, maybe by doing heavy glute bridges or generally more glute work. Another approach is to put around 90% or 95% of your deadlift on the bar on high pins, and pulling a single then lowering the pins until you notice yourself rounding. Lighten the load and work from that ROM until your are able to pull without rounding after doing your normal deadlift workout. Just a suggestion!
Matt, I have trained heavy lockouts in the distant past, using heavy enough weights that callouses tearing became the limiting factor. But the real reason I quit them was the realization that I seemed unable to mimic the actual mechanics of a full deadlift lockout. When I use my normal rounded back form I get stuck just above the knees. This seems pretty standard for guys using a rounded form. At this sticking point I think lower back is the limiting factor for me.

You and Rick have been nice enough to give me a lot of thoughtful advice, which I really appreciate. It makes me question all my dogmas and really think things through. So, I hate to come across as stubborn and thick headed (even though I am), but currently the small improvement I've made in back extension and all the PVC pipe rolling has me feeling better than I have in ten years. Knock on wood.

Assistance exercises hitting muscle groups already hit hard by the core lifts have really never boosted my core lifts. Maybe it's a personal problem! I dunno. Lol.

Really, both you guys are giving me great advice for flattening out my back and making it work. But right now after a lot of thought and some research I'm happy with my form. Key to making it work for me is avoiding max efforts and performing the bulk of my workload with a flatter back than I would use for contests.

Squat

356x6x3

Bench

253x6x2

212x13

Curl Bar

121x5x3

Sit Up

35x10x3

I'm a nobody when it comes to this stuff but how about train the hell out of your back. 4-5 days a week hitting either rows or some sort of pull-up. If you like your form why not make it as strong as possible.

• Like 1

Matt, I have trained heavy lockouts in the distant past, using heavy enough weights that callouses tearing became the limiting factor. But the real reason I quit them was the realization that I seemed unable to mimic the actual mechanics of a full deadlift lockout. When I use my normal rounded back form I get stuck just above the knees. This seems pretty standard for guys using a rounded form. At this sticking point I think lower back is the limiting factor for me.

You and Rick have been nice enough to give me a lot of thoughtful advice, which I really appreciate. It makes me question all my dogmas and really think things through. So, I hate to come across as stubborn and thick headed (even though I am), but currently the small improvement I've made in back extension and all the PVC pipe rolling has me feeling better than I have in ten years. Knock on wood.

Assistance exercises hitting muscle groups already hit hard by the core lifts have really never boosted my core lifts. Maybe it's a personal problem! I dunno. Lol.

Really, both you guys are giving me great advice for flattening out my back and making it work. But right now after a lot of thought and some research I'm happy with my form. Key to making it work for me is avoiding max efforts and performing the bulk of my workload with a flatter back than I would use for contests.

I don't know about that article. I disagree mostly as I have seen first hand the destruction that takes place in round back lifters. Sure, you can get away with it to a point, but once you push it too far, its not if its when. The spine is not designed to be bowed over with heavy weight pinching it at an angle. Hell, a neutral spine position isn't all that great for it. It only takes 1 disc to slip and your lifting career could be over forever.

I must have freakishly strong spinal erectors and hips as I have no issue keeping a neutral spine and if I round, it feels uncomfortable and risky

The only people I insist change their form are the people I am training. Everyone else is their own man. I don't like to see injuries, but we all know the risks. I saw a 600+ pound squatter break his back with 135...you just don't know. I also know a Div 2 wrestler who blew out a disc reaching across his kitchen table to pick up a gallon of milk.

If you are comfortable with your form that is all that matters. Its your body bro, no one else's. The same can be said about my knees.

• Like 1

Just to add in more thoughts. I am not a fan of round back lifting for the DL. At very high levels you see some lifters with a rounded upper back at lockout but not a round lower back. For me this does never become a consideration unless the lifter in competitive and we are talking 800+ lbs. I know that sounds extreme but the potential risks are huge and not worth it.

Your DL itself as said above is really about what you're willing to do. There is an early hip rise, which changes the timing of the rest of the lift. Glute work will full hip extension also.

Deads can take a toll the higher the weights go the more you typically need to work at sub max loads to maintain recovery. Assuming a non juiced lifter.

Keep up the good work.

• Like 2

Disc injuries come with little or no warning. There are no nerves within the disc warning you about impeding disaster, hence all these accounts of lifters slipping a disc while reaching across a table etc. Their discs were just about to penetrate the weakened fibrous sheet but the lifter has no idea because there was no pain. They would have blown the disc no matter what but it just happened to be when they picked up something very light etc. The damage was already done but they could not feel it because of said lack of nerves within the disc. This was all explained to me by someone who works with disc injuries.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 2

Thank you, guys.

Mikael, very informative, but not so encouraging for someone relying on bio feedback!

Two days ago:

Front Barbell Raises

-worked up to 61x8x2

Neck Curls

50x20x2

Mikael is right - my last blown disk (I have seven - along with having broken one vertebra - none of them lifting) came pulling out a rose bush - not lifting. I had been training stones pretty hard for a possible Scotland trip and my back was feeling very strong - right up till I blew up. Several months of life changing pain, everything I could read about and try for therapy until I got a handle on what my rehab needed to be to progress back to health. Slow and steady is my advice - I'll leave the technique stuff to Rick - who is quite good at it - he worked with my DL a few years back and changed the way I lifted to a better style. It took me a while to regain my lift numbers but now I'm pleased that I did it.

• Like 2

Eric I had no idea you were using bio feedback in your training. Never heard of too many powerlifters using it.

I am going to lay out my basic ideas on deadlifting and leave it at that.

-find a form that allows you to maximize weight and minimize injury and /or pain.

-do assistance exercises for your back, hamstrings, hips, and quads.

-Always push, then pull.

-Avoid using a belt until you absolutely need one. Deadlifting without a belt will strengthen your abs.

-maintain a neutral spine position

-do tons of trap work

-deadlift every 10 or so days to allow for recovery. On the other days, do something that assists in bringing up your deadlift. Could be leg work, lats, traps, lower back, hips, abs, whatever.

That's about it in a nut shell.

• Like 2

Sounds like a solid game plan overall, Rick. What do you mean by pushing before you pull?

Tried dead lifting, but felt burned out.

Underhand Barbell Row

207x5x3

Sounds like a solid game plan overall, Rick. What do you mean by pushing before you pull?

The deadlift is a 2 part movement. It is initiated by a push, meaning you drive your feet into the platform as hard as you can and use your legs to get the bar off the ground and about to knee position. Once the bar crosses the knees, it becomes a pull as you extend your hips forward violently to lockout. Starting by pulling right off the bat dumps the weight forward and causes the lifter to hunch...

• Like 1

Squat

380x4x3

287x6 (beltless)

Bench

269x2

263x4x2

16" Grip Bench

186x9

Curl Bar

127x5

106x13

Sit Up

35x10

35x12

• Like 1

Bench

227x8x4 (minimal rest)

Eric - you've probably said it somewhere but I'm lazy so I'll ask instead of going searching. What weight are you training at and what class do you plan to compete at?

Eric - you've probably said it somewhere but I'm lazy so I'll ask instead of going searching. What weight are you training at and what class do you plan to compete at?

Well, I'm currently gaining weight. Right now I'm at the 205 class, but if I can keep my body fat in check (I already have more than I like) I'd like to gain a little more weight and compete in the 231 class. I ordered a Concept 2 model D rower yesterday, in black. It should be here tomorrow. So maybe that will keep me fit, despite a too high BMI. :grin: My wife is recovering from knee surgery and suggested I go ahead and get one for the both of us. It wasn't a hard decision. I can't wait! She's not much into exercise, besides hooping and a little walking, so I'm really hoping she makes friends with the machine.

Deadlift

486x3

486x1

457x1

426x3

436x3x2

356x8 (beltless)

Shrug

447x10x3

Rows

191x10x2

135x5 (holding reps at top for 3 sec.)

• Like 1

How do you like the beltless work on the DLs? Have you noticed your core strength improve from it?

Matt, I never have noticed any core strength improvement from beltless work over the years. Coincidentally, I read an article yesterday morning on the subject that referenced a study showing only a small improvement in oblique strength going beltless. Sounds plausible. I include them mainly for variety. Have you noticed any benefits?

Interesting topic. I never pull with a belt. Pinches too much.

Interesting topic. I never pull with a belt. Pinches too much.

Every once in a great while I get a nasty pinch bruise.

Squat

-felt a little lifeless today from pushing too hard on the rower

367x5

385x3

401x2

341x3 (beltless)

277x8 (beltless)

Military Press

-right pec bugging me again, so skipped bench

138x8

143x5

148x4