Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

5 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

B24B1F5D-B678-4481-BF8F-0BC72F75C4F9.jpeg

Way to rep my goal weight brother!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Way to rep my goal weight brother!

See, now you have no choice but to get that goal weight. Seriously. 

• Like 1

337884BE-A7AF-48F5-ADC2-2B236E934CBD.jpeg

• Like 2

B8762F01-55A0-4DDD-BE0C-B8E4CD50FC66.jpeg

• Like 1

06B39B4E-C3FE-4FEB-B781-41AE89FB3FCF.jpeg

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1

Body weight post squat workout was 233.7. 

• Like 1

0AD41BA9-A138-417D-BEB4-268C03A0964F.jpeg

• Like 2

Hey Eric, I remember you telling me a long time ago you got to a 600lb. deadlift only doing the lift once every two weeks for 3 singles each session?  Am I remembering that correctly?  Did you eventually plateau and have to up the volume?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aaron Jacobs said:

Hey Eric, I remember you telling me a long time ago you got to a 600lb. deadlift only doing the lift once every two weeks for 3 singles each session?  Am I remembering that correctly?  Did you eventually plateau and have to up the volume?

Hi, Aaron!

From the time I was a young teen until my late twenties nearly all of  my deadlifts were done weekly. After some warmups I’d do a max or near-max set of two. It was almost never that I did more than five reps or did anything but a set of rows or chins for assistance work. This got me to a 562 Raw at 165 and 617 at 181. I might have later been good for around 660 at 220 doing this same routine. I’ve since cut way back on low-rep deadlifting. Lately I’m doing high reps and lower intensity (slightly), but still very low volume. Anything else and deadlifts just take too much out of me and I don’t recover properly. 

63208C87-E943-4EEF-A403-38D9B57DE206.jpeg

• Like 1

162B1496-D151-40D9-B7D6-6F572B5B0502.jpeg

• Like 2

Eric, you still got it!  Enjoyed looking through your training log here.  I have taken a long hiatus from heavy lifting and gripping but have made a come back in the last 6 months, working out with my son (9) and daughter (12).  I am living in NJ, we are about 2.5 hrs from York Barbell in York, PA which was helpful in setting up my garage gym.  Good to see you here.  Chris Caffery 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 4:16 PM, EricMilfeld said:

Hi, Aaron!

From the time I was a young teen until my late twenties nearly all of  my deadlifts were done weekly. After some warmups I’d do a max or near-max set of two. It was almost never that I did more than five reps or did anything but a set of rows or chins for assistance work. This got me to a 562 Raw at 165 and 617 at 181. I might have later been good for around 660 at 220 doing this same routine. I’ve since cut way back on low-rep deadlifting. Lately I’m doing high reps and lower intensity (slightly), but still very low volume. Anything else and deadlifts just take too much out of me and I don’t recover properly. 

My typical DL workout doesn't look much different than yours.  Low reps - low volume - and low frequency.   Once a week DL (Sumo) working up to what I would call a 90% or so daily one - three - or five rep max and once a week bodyweight Glute Ham Raises supersetted with Ukrainian Dead Lifts on tall boxes - light KB - and high reps.

It seems to be slowly letting me build back up.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 8:09 AM, Chris Caffery said:

Eric, you still got it!  Enjoyed looking through your training log here.  I have taken a long hiatus from heavy lifting and gripping but have made a come back in the last 6 months, working out with my son (9) and daughter (12).  I am living in NJ, we are about 2.5 hrs from York Barbell in York, PA which was helpful in setting up my garage gym.  Good to see you here.  Chris Caffery 

Dr. Caffery!  What a pleasant surprise to hear from you.  I recently looked up your whereabouts, so I can confirm you do in fact live in New Jersey. 😆 I'm pleased to hear you're back at it!  And a belated congratulations on your babies!  Hey, does your Dad still compete?

On 5/23/2020 at 10:38 AM, climber511 said:

My typical DL workout doesn't look much different than yours.  Low reps - low volume - and low frequency.   Once a week DL (Sumo) working up to what I would call a 90% or so daily one - three - or five rep max and once a week bodyweight Glute Ham Raises supersetted with Ukrainian Dead Lifts on tall boxes - light KB - and high reps.

I love hearing you're building back up, Chris!   Pure and simple is best in my book.  Let's jazz up that description a bit and call it "elegant". 

Today:

Deadlift

95x10

125x7

155x5

175x3

200x9 @8.5

Chins

body weight:

x3

x5

136.7x5 @10

brief pause, then body weight x6 @9

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 11:38 AM, climber511 said:

I love hearing you're building back up, Chris!   Pure and simple is best in my book.  Let's jazz up that description a bit and call it "elegant".  

The goal is roughly a 2x BW DL or somewhere around 400#.  My last semi max single was 386# at a 202# BW - goal is to do it by my birthday in August - so seemingly right on track - call it 20# more.  I have my 72nd Birthday challenge list started - looks like it's going to be quite a day.   Things have to be done in 7s or 2s except for singles - don't think I'm man enough for 72 challenges so shooting for 27 different items done within 72 hours of the day.  I have some work to do still!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, climber511 said:
  On 5/23/2020 at 11:38 AM, climber511 said:

The goal is roughly a 2x BW DL or somewhere around 400#.  My last semi max single was 386# at a 202# BW - goal is to do it by my birthday in August - so seemingly right on track - call it 20# more.  I have my 72nd Birthday challenge list started - looks like it's going to be quite a day.   Things have to be done in 7s or 2s except for singles - don't think I'm man enough for 72 challenges so shooting for 27 different items done within 72 hours of the day.  I have some work to do still!

Being that you’re not exactly light at 200 pounds, a double body weight pull will be all the more impressive. Can’t wait to see your “72” list!

F45927C7-8649-408E-BECB-927D4F286420.jpeg

• Like 1

Eric, yes, I am in NJ of all places, I miss Texas!  My Dad no longer lifts heavy.  It kind of started as cross training for Judo and wrestling but now I'm seriously trying to get one of these kids (12, 9, and 5) interested in lifting.  The 9 and 5 year old seem like my best shot, lol.  We are making some good progress with a 3-5X5 type program with them.  I've been training with grippers and I shut my #3 the other day with a handles just beyond parallel set.  Currently, I am putting most of my training emphasis on conventional deadlift (I always pulled sumo) and squats.  Good to converse with you.      

• Like 1

On 5/30/2020 at 8:34 AM, Chris Caffery said:

Eric, yes, I am in NJ of all places, I miss Texas!  My Dad no longer lifts heavy.  It kind of started as cross training for Judo and wrestling but now I'm seriously trying to get one of these kids (12, 9, and 5) interested in lifting.  The 9 and 5 year old seem like my best shot, lol.  We are making some good progress with a 3-5X5 type program with them.  I've been training with grippers and I shut my #3 the other day with a handles just beyond parallel set.  Currently, I am putting most of my training emphasis on conventional deadlift (I always pulled sumo) and squats.  Good to converse with you.      

Nice work with that #3! Maybe you'll want to fire up your old workout log here again?

Bench

70x2x7

90x7

110x3

127.5x7 @9

• Like 2

Only 9?  Slacker.

• Haha 1

99459564-4218-479D-AFB1-4B184966C445.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Only 9?  Slacker.

For real! I do need to snap out of this funk I’ve been in the last couple weeks...

8 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

For real! I do need to snap out of this funk I’ve been in the last couple weeks...

My bench has dropped the last two weeks.  Work has been crazy the last month and my training has been very inconsistent and minimal.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 5:13 PM, Mike Rinderle said:

My bench has dropped the last two weeks.  Work has been crazy the last month and my training has been very inconsistent and minimal.

Alright let’s turn the trend around. Ate better this week and came within a rep of a PR:

2F59B814-1402-445F-A734-B88189142AB7.jpeg

• Like 2