Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

31 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

As a veteran of 2nd floor apartment lifting, I feel your pain.

Had a couple of lesbian lovers in Virginia take a pair of scissors to my welcome mat for this in 1990.  I talked to them about it and they agreed that some thudding for an hour a week is something they could allow me. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Had a couple of lesbian lovers in Virginia take a pair of scissors to my welcome mat for this in 1990.  I talked to them about it and they agreed that some thudding for an hour a week is something they could allow me. 

By “thudding” do you mean they let you join in on the licker license activities?

31 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

By “thudding” do you mean they let you join in on the licker license activities?

And I tried so hard not to use suggestive language so as to open myself up to such comments from the peanut gallery. Fail. 😿

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bench

70x8

70x8

90x5

110x5

No rest between following sets:

132.5x5

117.5x5

102.5x10

Chins

bodyweight

x3

x3

x3

No rest between the sets:

137.3x5 PR!

106.7x3

• Like 3

2 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Bench

70x8

70x8

90x5

110x5

132.5x5

117.5x5

102.5x10

Chins

bodyweight

x3

x3

x3

No rest between the sets:

137.3x5 PR!

106.7x3

Buff cardio!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Buff cardio!

A little bit, yeah. But not quite the gasping for breath this would have elicited with squats or deadlifts!

Squat

Still feeling really beat-up and stale  in general. Time for some further adjustments. 

75x5

75x7

105x5

135x5

160x5

135x5

110x10

• Like 3

Seated Dumbbells Press (pounds)

30x3x10

50x 15

50x 20

• Like 3

Earlier in the day:

Moved 2,000 pounds of plates and gym equipment down a flight of stairs and into my garage x1

This workout was suggested by my wife (Sandy aka Cakes).  She said it would be good for me... and our marriage.  Not sure if her turning our spare bedroom gym into her private sun room had anything to do with it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Earlier in the day:

Moved 2,000 pounds of plates and gym equipment down a flight of stairs and into my garage x1

This workout was suggested by my wife (Sandy aka Cakes).  She said it would be good for me... and our marriage.  Not sure if her turning our spare bedroom gym into her private sun room had anything to do with it.

Smart man.  Better to be happy than right.

• Like 1

It’s time for doing more than tweaking my current routine. Time for a broad sweeping change in my approach. That being said, what I’ve been doing has been berry berry good to me up until recently. I rededicated my training to powerlifting in 2014 when I was 180 pounds. At the time I was running a lot and doing a fair amount of grip. My squat wasn’t much over 300 and my bench was well under 250. In 2018 at 229 pounds I went 546, 320, 628 at Raw Nationals, with the squat being an all-time PR by a good margin. Shortly after that I deadlifted 585x4 with possibly a rep in the tank. This past summer I benched 330x3, touch-and-go. Then last October I bumped up my squat to 562. And now I feel there’s not much left to squeeze out of this wave I’ve been riding. I see it as a positive. An opportunity to learn and grow... and be trite and corny. 😆 Also, come to find out, getting older is a real thing.

Heres my plan, which will be a work in progress for the duration: much more volume, far less intensity, and a bit less slavish devotion to numbers that get stuck in my head. This was, in large part, my loosely devised plan back in 2014, but the way I tweaked that and listened a little too much to “what I should be lifting “, as opposed to what my body was trying to communicate through my thick skull is no longer serving me.  Of all the training strategies out there Reactive Training Systems resonates most with me, and has for a long time  Now it’s time to follow those themes more closely. It will be a departure from my natural inclination in training and will require a lot of self restraint. But I welcome letting go of all that pressure I tend to put on myself. I look forward to the experimentation , even if it will take some getting accustomed to a new mindset. I’m hopeful in time the new mindset will be just as motivating for me as chasing PRs in training has been for me in the past.

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

It’s time for doing more than tweaking my current routine. Time for a broad sweeping change in my approach. That being said, what I’ve been doing has been berry berry good to me up until recently. I rededicated my training to powerlifting in 2014 when I was 180 pounds. At the time I was running a lot and doing a fair amount of grip. My squat wasn’t much over 300 and my bench was well under 250. In 2018 at 229 pounds I went 546, 320, 628 at Raw Nationals, with the squat being an all-time PR by a good margin. Shortly after that I deadlifted 585x4 with possibly a rep in the tank. This past summer I benched 330x3, touch-and-go. Then last October I bumped up my squat to 562. And now I feel there’s not much left to squeeze out of this wave I’ve been riding. I see it as a positive. An opportunity to learn and grow... and be trite and corny. 😆 Also, come to find out, getting older is a real thing.

Heres my plan, which will be a work in progress for the duration: much more volume, far less intensity, and a bit less slavish devotion to numbers that get stuck in my head. This was, in large part, my loosely devised plan back in 2014, but the way I tweaked that and listened a little too much to “what I should be lifting “, as opposed to what my body was trying to communicate through my thick skull is no longer serving me.  Of all the training strategies out there Reactive Training Systems resonates most with me, and has for a long time  Now it’s time to follow those themes more closely. It will be a departure from my natural inclination in training and will require a lot of self restraint. But I welcome letting go of all that pressure I tend to put on myself. I look forward to the experimentation , even if it will take some getting accustomed to a new mindset. I’m hopeful in time the new mindset will be just as motivating for me as chasing PRs in training has been for me in the past.

I look forward to following your next wave of progress buddy

• Thanks 1

I appreciate that, Mike! It will definitely be a process as I go one-by-one putting each variable to the test. 

34 minutes ago, Tommy J. said:

Okay so hold on a minute... your not quitting PL, right?? Just changing the approach to training?

Correct. 

Injuries. Only an opening deadlift at Nationals. Lackluster workouts. They might be trying to tell me something. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Correct. 

Injuries. Only an opening deadlift at Nationals. Lackluster workouts. They might be trying to tell me something. 

Good because you’re still strong as hell!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Stephen Anderson said:

Good because you’re still strong as hell!

Haha! Appreciate ya!

• Like 1

RPE sounds perfect for you! Will be very fun to follow. 

Good luck!

Edit- you getting a coach or doing it yourself? 

Edited by Lennix
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lennix said:

RPE sounds perfect for you! Will be very fun to follow. 

Good luck!

Edit- you getting a coach or doing it yourself? 

Thank you, kind sir. I’ve never had a coach, so I’ll probably continue on that loner path. But the temptation is certainly there. Let’s see if I can figure things out with the help of articles, trial and error, and my past experience first. 

• Like 2

Deadlift

For deadlifts I’ll be shooting for a RPE (rate of perceived exertion) of 8. After a top set I’ll reduce weight by 5% and continue wit sets with minimal rest until a greater level of exertion is required and then stop. 5% would be my level of fatigue. Think I’ll do three weeks of 5’s followed by three weeks of 2’s, and call that a cycle. Then deload. Bench I’ll hit twice weekly. This is my current plan, anyways. On squats and bench I may do an RPE of 9.

95x5

125x5

155x5

175x5

200x5 @8

190x5 @7

190x5 @7

190x5 @7.5

190x5 @8

Chins

bodyweight

x3

x5

bodyweight +22 x5 @9

bodyweight +14.5 x5 @9

bodyweight +14.5 x5 @9

bodyweight +14.5 x5  @9.5

• Like 4

Serious pulling today Santa Claws 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AdamTGlass said:

Serious pulling today Santa Claws 

Thanks, Adam!  Definitely a different mental state required for this kind of workout.  But nice change of pace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Deadlift

For deadlifts I’ll be shooting for a RPE (rate of perceived exertion) of 8. After a top set I’ll reduce weight by 5% and continue wit sets with minimal rest until a greater level of exertion is required and then stop. 5% would be my level of fatigue. Think I’ll do three weeks of 5’s followed by three weeks of 2’s, and call that a cycle. Then deload. Bench I’ll hit twice weekly. This is my current plan, anyways. On squats and bench I may do an RPE of 9.

95x5

125x5

155x5

175x5

200x5 @8

190x5 @7

190x5 @7

190x5 @7.5

190x5 @8

Chins

bodyweight

x3

x5

bodyweight +22 x5 @9

bodyweight +14.5 x5 @9

bodyweight +14.5 x5 @9

bodyweight +14.5 x5  @9.5

My RPE was 6 just reading your workout.  Strong work sir.

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

My RPE was 6 just reading your workout.  Strong work sir.

Now that’s funny!

• Like 1