Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

4 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

I'd like to try too but I'd just fail and get injured :(

I hear ya.  400 lbs sounds so sexy, but no way I don't blow out both shoulders trying.  And my weight is going the wrong way these days.

• Like 1

375 guys. We can do it!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Well 340 was my all time best touch n go, and I weighed 35 lbs more than I do now.  You're in a different realm than me.  

Far from a different realm. 

I’m gonna be needin’ more positivity from you guys. 🤨

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Far from a different realm. 

I’m gonna be needin’ more positivity from you guys. 🤨

We have faith in you. We have limits that don't ascend to your heights unfortunately.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

375 guys. We can do it!

🤔

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

🤔

Good. Good. Pleased to see you’re giving it serious consideration. 

10 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Good. Good. Pleased to see you’re giving it serious consideration. 

Trenbologna_Sub_Sammich_1024x1024@2x.jpg

000 061iJDx0⁰0tFfML._AC_SX425_.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We'll see how the shoulders hold up and where my starting point is when weight cut is over.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

We'll see how the shoulders hold up and where my starting point is when weight cut is over.

For sure. My left is still not 100%.  But I’ve got cataracts surgery coming up and I’m not supposed to lift for several weeks after. Should get everything heeled-up after that hiatus. Already bummed about all the workouts I’ll miss.

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

For sure. My left is still not 100%.  But I’ve got cataracts surgery coming up and I’m not supposed to lift for several weeks after. Should get everything heeled-up after that hiatus. Already bummed about all the workouts I’ll miss.

Imposed breaks are the worst.  Heal up quick!

• Like 1

Squat

75x5

75x10

105x5

145x5

180x8

Pauses

185x5

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Imposed breaks are the worst.  Heal up quick!

Thanks, buddy. 

Bench 

I lifted at the commercial gym where my performance always suffers. Best I can figure is the very narrow bench pads are the culprit; I train on an IPF max-width pad at home. We’ve even weighed the bars and plates at the gym. 

45x25

135x10

205x3

205x2

235x12

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Bench 

I lifted at the commercial gym where my performance always suffers. Best I can figure is the very narrow bench pads are the culprit; I train on an IPF max-width pad at home. We’ve even weighed the bars and plates at the gym. 

45x25

135x10

205x3

205x2

235x12

Got the work in.  That's all that matters.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Bench 

45x25

135x10

205x3

205x2

235x12

Imperial weights?!?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

Imperial weights?!?!

I wish it weren’t so, but yep. 

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Got the work in.  That's all that matters.

Very very true!

Does the wider bench pad help shoulders at all?

Edited by Mike Rinderle
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Does the wider bench pad help shoulders at all?

For real. I wouldn’t have suspected it, but speaking for myself it has a totally different feel. With that narrow pad it feels like a different exercise. I spent no shortage of time being befuddled by the matter. Are the lines on this bar not 32”? Is the bar bent? Is it psychological? With the narrower pad it feels like a greater range of motion, which is counterintuitive if your shoulders are depressed. It’s all very weird. But I’ve apparently never benched on a narrow pad before until this gym came along. My shoulders and ego were not diggin’ it. 

Edit: oh and Rogue makes a pad even wider than IPF legal, called the Danny Thompson I believe. 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

For real. I wouldn’t have suspected it, but speaking for myself it has a totally different feel. With that narrow pad it feels like a different exercise. I spent no shortage of time being befuddled by the matter. Are the lines on this bar not 32”? Is the bar bent? Is it psychological? With the narrower pad it feels like a greater range of motion, which is counterintuitive if your shoulders are depressed. It’s all very weird. But I’ve apparently never benched on a narrow pad before until this gym came along. My shoulders and ego were not diggin’ it. 

Edit: oh and Rogue makes a pad even wider than IPF legal, called the Danny Thompson I believe. 

Hmmmmm. 🤔🤔🤔

2 hours ago, WestSlope said:

If you decide you need a wider bench Rep fitness sells an FB-5000 with wide pad for a good price. I'm bought one of these because my left shoulder was bending the thin plywood on my old Valor bench to the point where I developed a crooked press. The pad is 1 1/2" wider than legal, but you can tell that pedantic judge in your shed to head on down the road kicking turds. Your can still do damage to your shoulders benching on it, but I bet it helps. I questioned whether benching was important enough to me to warrant the purchase. Now that I'm in this big time bench comp with a bottle of bourbon on the line it would seem to be worth every penny.

Thanks Steve.  I'll definitely check it out.

Deadlift

Think I’ll try some reverse pyramid stuff for a while. I will be resting only long enough between work sets to change the weight.

75x8

125x8

165x5

Reverse Pyramid Starts

195x5

165x5

135x10

* I’m pretty sure the backside of “knee” injury is the tendon of the biceps femoris where it inserts  at the tibia. The front side is probably the patellar tendon. It doesn’t hurt lifting up the deadlift, but does a little lowering the bar below the knee. 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Deadlift

Think I’ll try some reverse pyramid stuff for a while. I will be resting only long enough between work sets to change the weight.

75x8

125x8

165x5

Reverse Pyramid Starts

195x5

165x5

135x10

* I’m pretty sure the backside of “knee” injury is the tendon of the biceps femoris where it inserts  at the tibia. The front side is probably the patellar tendon. It doesn’t hurt lifting up the deadlift, but does a little lowering the bar below the knee. 

Drop it like it's hot

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Drop it like it's hot

I really want to so bad. But my neighbor below would probably rather I not. 

9 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

I really want to so bad. But my neighbor below would probably rather I not. 

As a veteran of 2nd floor apartment lifting, I feel your pain.

• Like 1