Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

5 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

12, 16, or 40 ounce?

I wish! Cutting back to the 105 class has me avoiding my favorite beverage until Sundays. So my curls today were 912 oz. 

• Like 1

Squat

195x3

Pause Squat

195x5 PR! (best ever projected max for a paused set)

Real happy with this, since I’ve recently lost 6 pounds of blubber, and squats is hard without blubber.

• Like 1

Nice, Eric.  Would be cool to see you beat Dave Ricks 310kg squat record he set last year at 57.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aaron Jacobs said:

Nice, Eric.  Would be cool to see you beat Dave Ricks 310kg squat record he set last year at 57.

Thank you, but that record is as safe as any gold that may or not be in Ft. Knox! 😆

But I do have a goal for June - to break the world deadlift record at 105 class/50-59 age group, which stands at 651. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Thank you, but that record is as safe as any gold that may or not be in Ft. Knox! 😆

But I do have a goal for June - to break the world deadlift record at 105 class/50-59 age group, which stands at 651. 

That would be bad azz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

That would be bad azz

I’ll be pretty stoked to get it done!

• Like 1

125 Dumbbell Rows

Right x8, 10

Left x10, 10 

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

I’ll be pretty stoked to get it done!

Me too! Especially since all of my deadlifting is now done vicariously through you.  This will be my first world record!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Me too! Especially since all of my deadlifting is now done vicariously through you.  This will be my first world record!

That's awesome! 🤣

• Haha 1

Paused Benches

132.5x3

125x4

115x7

• Like 1

Man, I wish I could progress with your minimalist approach. 

13 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

Man, I wish I could progress with your minimalist approach. 

Maybe it would be worth some further experimentation? It’s just how I’ve always liked to train - intensity over volume. I used to apply the principlel a bit too extreme, but now I seem to have found a happy medium: a bit more volume, broader range of reps, and I really baby my lower back with greater attention to form and keeping the cycles very brief before backing off the weight again. I don’t know if I’m unique in being able to make this low volume approach work... maybe most people shy away from going all in with it? Not sure. What I do know is it takes a very different mental approach. Most lifters do a lot more Work than me. This takes discipline, but a different type than I draw on. Whereas as performing multiple sets of a given weight at sub-maximal effort can be done with almost no  psyche, pushing for frequent PRs like I do calls for an intense psyche. Intense focus. Getting in the right frame of mind is half the battle in my workouts. Even a two-workset workout can take me over an hour. It’s a lot of talking to myself, visualizing, and convincing myself of all the reasons I have to be very optimistic. Anyways, not saying this approach is better than others, only that I enjoy it. Keeps me motivated. Maybe I could do at least as well by dedicating myself to a more conventional approach, but the enjoyment factor would be diminished, and at that point I would have lost my mental edge. Beyond a few universal training truths I don’t like telling people how to train; all sorts of different approaches have produced successful athletes. It may sound cliche, but I’m a proponent of experimenting and discovering what works best for you as an individual. 😊

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 2

That reminds me of when I did my “Jake Sullivan” cycles for squats. Only 3 worksets between 1-3 reps and 1-2 dropsets. I progressed a lot but the mind has to be on point to train like that. 

• Like 1

Gonna start showing warmup sets like everyone else  

Squats

75x5

75x10

125x7

155x5

170x15 PR! (by 5 kilos, and happens to be my biggest projected max thus far)

Pauses

185x3

Body weight down to 237.

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 2

Hells to the yea boy!

• Thanks 1

Bench at Metroflex Ft. Worth (touch and go)

Pounds

95x10

135x10

195x10

245x4x10

245x9

245x7

Edited by EricMilfeld

36 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Bench at Metroflex Ft. Worth

Pounds

95x10

135x10

195x10

245x4x10

245x9

245x7

So early!

11 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

So early!

Oh, that was yesterday afternoon. 😆

• Haha 1

Deadlift 

95x10

125x7

175x5

212.5x12 PR!

Very happy with that set, as I was put through a tough treadmill stress test yesterday. My heart checks out perfectly. I just need to keep an eye out for any returning episodes of atrial fibrillation. I quit the beta blockers weeks ago, but the doctor wants me to get a monitoring device. 

Snatch Grip Deadlift 

205x5

Barbell Rows

75x2x5

115x2x5

Body weight is dropping nicely - 236 this morning.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Outta sight man!

Thank you, Sir!

Bench

20x10

50x10

70x7

90x5

105x3

125x3 

Shoulders hurting. Not surprised. I shouldn’t have tried benching twice this week.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

Heal up

Thanks. I just need the willpower to just say no to benches with Tommy and Adam.  Next time I'll do some 1500 pound leg presses or something instead.

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1