Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

1 hour ago, jvance said:

Incredibly well said. Big congrats, I have a few feats on my list as well that somedays I wonder why I train for them. This is encouraging to me.

Thank you, Jon! That makes me feel really good to know you’re encouraged !

58 minutes ago, climber511 said:

i love reading Eric's log - a not so "spring chicken" still setting - and reaching - big goals.  Keep believing !!!!!  And doing!1!!! 

Right on, Chris! And thank you. You’ve set the bar incredibly high in so many arenas for us in the “not so spring chicken” club! So thanks for that too... I think. 😆

• Like 1

Bench

135x5 (obviously not recovered from a horseshoe battle earlier in the week)

83 Dumbbell Press

Right x8 PR!

Left x6 PR!

I obviously can’t be going nutso on things like shoes and logs too much.

• Like 1

Bench

120x12 PR! Best bench set ever. 

Now off to The Show of Hands grip contest!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shoggoth said:

Nice!

Thanks, buddy! We had a blast competing with Clay Edgin today. Tanner demolished the #4 Silver Bullet hold world record by something like eleven seconds! 

Edited by EricMilfeld

1 minute ago, EricMilfeld said:

Thanks, buddy! We had a blast competing with Clay Edgin today. Tanner demolished the #4 Silver Bullet hold world record by something like eleven seconds! 

Got a damn strong training group. 

• Like 1

Pause Deadlift

215x7 PR!

Snatch Grip 1” Deficit/No Belt

165x8 (fast tempo)

Shrugs

222.5x2x15

Chins

135.2x5 PR!

- 1 minute rest, then 5 bodyweight chins

Sahlaney Dumbbell Rows

Left x7 PR!

- controlled all the reps to the floor

• Like 1

Bench

150x1 (stopped there due to every tendon in my arms feeling a little banged up)

Im wondering if I should go back to benching only once a week. My muscles are willing and responding well, but my joints are protesting as I reach my Golden Years. 😆😂 

Wide Grip Coming Up Only a Few Inches Off the Chest

115x8

Warmed up for dumbbell presses and decided “nope”. Going back to once a week.  

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:49 AM, EricMilfeld said:

Much appreciation for that, Steve!

And count me among those learning from that lesson. I’ve been discouraged more than a few times along the way, but looking back I see that consistency played a big part in getting me back on the rails. And not just consistency for its own sake, but coupled with enthusiasm and optimism. One thing that helps me in that department is any measurable improvement by any metric. So if I can get a PR by one pound on an obscure assistance movement I take it as a big victory. Often times I determine my workout by looking over my list of PRs for the one I could most likely eclipse by the smallest of margins. This is all the motivation I need. Self improvement for its own sake... and enjoying the the journey along the way... bumps, derailments, and conquests alike. The person I like to beat the most is me. That’s what keeps us going over the decades. 

Hey Eric-  Very well said.  So many people compare themselves to others, with their routines, how much they lift, etc.  What so many never look at is what is addressed in your second to last sentence.  The person you like to beat the most is yourself.  That is such an important point and what makes this journey and training itself such a personal endeavor.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, guys!

Feels good to knock out my cardio for the month in one set.

• Like 1

Well I made myself a liar and hit bench today, but only because Adam coerced me:

Bench 

275x8 (narrower grip at commercial gym)

Did a ton of singles on various Saxon bars. 

Drank a bunch of beer and talked about the state of grip with Adam. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Deadlift 

205x10

2” Deficit

195x2x5

Barbell Rows

105x2x8

Shrugs

175x40

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Deadlift 

205x10

2” Deficit

195x2x5

Barbell Rows

105x2x8

Shrugs

175x40

Eric Trapfield!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Eric Trapfield!

I definitely felt that when I was done!

• Like 1

My training will take on a slight bit more sense of urgency as of today; received my invitation to IPF Classic Worlds today. Gonna be hitting the steaks, milk, and beer hard, assuming the Team Coach lets me jump up a weight class. And will be attempting to avoid all spontaneous ill-conceived strength feats with Team Texas!🧐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got word from the National Team Coach today that as of now he needs me to lift at 105 at Worlds. I could wait until mid-March to find out if that’s indeed the case, but I think I would rather start losing the 11 pounds. 

Skipping bench today. Arms and shoulders feeling beat-up. Part of it is from going heavy on Saxon bar Sunday. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Got word from the National Team Coach today that as of now he needs me to lift at 105 at Worlds. I could wait until mid-March to find out if that’s indeed the case, but I think I would rather start losing the 11 pounds. 

Skipping bench today. Arms and shoulders feeling beat-up. Part of it is from going heavy on Saxon bar Sunday. 

Go get em skinny!

• Haha 1

High Bar Squat

145x6x5

Doing some light fun stuff for the next month while I recover and lose a little weight.

• Like 1

Wow Eric, still making gains at almost 50; gives me some hope; I turn 40 in 18 months.  Where do you feel like the added bodyweight has helped most (bench, dl, sq) ?   Also age -- has your recovery time gone up in the past decade?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aaron Jacobs said:

Wow Eric, still making gains at almost 50; gives me some hope; I turn 40 in 18 months.  Where do you feel like the added bodyweight has helped most (bench, dl, sq) ?   Also age -- has your recovery time gone up in the past decade?

Actually, I'm 51.  And thank you!

The extra weight has hands-down helped me most in the squat. And I wouldn't say my recovery time has increased, but I do require more thorough warmups and my joints get beat up much easier now.

• Like 1

Pause Deadlift (pauses going forward are performed an inch or two from the floor)

195x3x5

Rows

107.5x2x8

Shrugs (doing these mixed-grip from now on)

205x2x25

• Like 3