Powerlifting Log

EricMilfeld

Just now, Shoggoth said:

Salt and tequila are amaziballs for gainz!

Well I wish you would have said something about your trade secret years ago!

• Haha 1

I skip the food and just pay 4 Mexican gentlemen to lift it for me.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

I skip the food and just pay 4 Mexican gentlemen to lift it for me.

I dunno Mike... that sounds vaguely like cheating... well unless they’re documented...

• Haha 1

When my son was competing in powerlifting, he always re-hydrated after a weight cut with a full jar of dill pickles, including drinking the pickle juice, as well as a gallon of water/Gatorade mix.

The pickles would put weight back on him FAST. He could put on 15-pounds from weigh-ins to warm-ups.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rick Walker said:

When my son was competing in powerlifting, he always re-hydrated after a weight cut with a full jar of dill pickles, including drinking the pickle juice, as well as a gallon of water/Gatorade mix.

The pickles would put weight back on him FAST. He could put on 15-pounds from weigh-ins to warm-ups.

Holy moly that's a big cut!  I've heard of the pickle trick but never tried it.  But I believe my cutting days are over.  For me it takes too much of the fun away from the experience at this point in life.

• Like 1

Bench

125x7

3-Second Pauses

115x5

72 Pound 2.5” Dumbbell  Presses

Right x9

Left x9

• Like 2

Squat

200x5

3-Second Pauses

200x3

Full Depth Then 2/3 of the Way Up

145x8

• Like 1

Bench

112x14 (Bench made a quantum leap this week thanks to Right shoulder feeling almost entirely healed, but now my left shoulder is slightly tweaked and my right elbow tendon is inflamed from all the grip 😆)

2.5” Dumbell Press 68 Pounds

Right x14 PR!

Left x12

• Like 2

3-Second Pauses Deadlift

210x7 PR!

Beltless Deadlift 

175x5x3 (in 7 minutes)

It was supposed to be an easy day of my cycle, but with my weight gain I felt strong in the warmups.

Shrugs

237.5x2x10

Chins

121.5x10 Big PR!

- brief rest then body weight x5

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

3-Second Pauses Deadlift

210x7 PR!

Beltless Deadlift 

175x5x3 (in 7 minutes)

It was supposed to be an easy day of my cycle, but with my weight gain I felt strong in the warmups.

Shrugs

237.5x2x10

Chins

121.5x10 Big PR!

- brief rest then body weight x5

Holiday 20 always adds 40!  Weight gain for the win!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Holiday 20 always adds 40!  Weight gain for the win!

Yes sir!

Something I’ve noticed recently is that my joints feel better when I start gaining wait. Added bonus. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Yes sir!

Something I’ve noticed recently is that my joints feel better when I start gaining wait. Added bonus. 

My hips hurt more the heavier I get.  Dang Arthur Itis.  Too much hockey n football as a Ute.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mike Rinderle said:

My hips hurt more the heavier I get.  Dang Arthur Itis.  Too much hockey n football as a Ute.

That’s a bummer. About ten years ago is when I could no longer take joint health for granted. Gotta do thorough warmups and stretching. And then do everything slow and controlled. Running is a definite no. But I’m not heartbroken. 

• Like 1

Check out my new squat PR! It’s not exactly me, but close enough to count...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EricMilfeld said:

Dat smile :)

• Like 1

I see the resemblance.  I mean... slap a beard on her and it's you.

• Haha 1

Bench

137.5x3

3-Second Pauses

115x7

2.5” 80 Pound Dumbbell Press

Right x3

Left x3

• Like 2

Squat

215x5 PR!

3-Second Pause at Sticking Point

195x3

2/3 Way Up 

150x8

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, EricMilfeld said:

Squat

215x5 PR!

3-Second Pause at Sticking Point

195x3

2/3 Way Up 

150x8

Dang!

• Thanks 1

On 12/19/2018 at 9:54 AM, EricMilfeld said:

What is crazy about this is I was watching the female CrossFit Games the other night and the women competing had quads as big, or bigger, than this girl yet could still run, bike, do burpees, box jumps, etc. To be that big and have cardio through the roof is stunning to me and makes me wonder, "supplements" aside, what kind of genetics these people must have.

I can't have my cake and eat it to. I can be big and strong, or I can get myself into good cardio shape. There is no best of both worlds with me.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 8:43 AM, Rick Walker said:

What is crazy about this is I was watching the female CrossFit Games the other night and the women competing had quads as big, or bigger, than this girl yet could still run, bike, do burpees, box jumps, etc. To be that big and have cardio through the roof is stunning to me and makes me wonder, "supplements" aside, what kind of genetics these people must have.

I can't have my cake and eat it to. I can be big and strong, or I can get myself into good cardio shape. There is no best of both worlds with me.

It really is ridiculous what athletes are doing today. I know CrossFit has been criticized for easy to beat drug testing, but in the IPF and USAPL that certainly isn’t the case anymore with out-of-meet testing. Any top level lifter beating tests is getting very lucky or dosing in very small infrequent amounts. So Amanda here toying with over 500 for reps is something I would have thought impossible not too long  ago. 

I’m like you with the cardio, Rick. But part of the equation is the additional body weight I’m hauling around. My heart and lungs may be strong and functioning well, but with 60 extra pounds it’s more difficult to assess that by comparing running times with your lighter self. I do know my blood pressure is better than it’s ever been, and I weighed 237 this morning. My heart rate has been much lower in the past when I was doing more specific cardio and way lighter, but it is still good at 60 bpm. My only cardio is high rep lifting and long slow-ish walks. 

But point taken about the big muscular women turning in great 800 meter times and such!

Edited by EricMilfeld
  • Like 1

Bench

122x10 PR!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, EricMilfeld said:

Bench

122x10 PR!

12 lbs more than I ever got 10 with.  I did 257 x 10 when I weighed 257.  So I was also quite a bit larger.  Great set!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Rinderle said:

12 lbs more than I ever got 10 with.  I did 257 x 10 when I weighed 257.  So I was also quite a bit larger.  Great set!

Oh wow, and thank you! 

I'm really taking advantage of my 0.25 kilo plates for some of these PRs. 😁

• Like 2