Best Tips To Get Big And Strong

Rick Walker

Time and patience. Train smart and train with focus. Avoid injury. When you need to rest, you rest. When one part is injured you train around it.

Read and learn, study other lifters and their coaches. Don't disregard a trainer or clock because they are small and weaker than you, look at their work and reputation. That is what makes the, good at their job.

Know why you are training. Training to be a competitive athlete, a serious one is not fun it is not easy and it breaks many who try. Those who say they want to train like pro athletes typically are clueless. If you want to train as semi competitive or recreational that is great to just be realistic about what you can do and will achieve. Neither approach is wrong. For many just training to move and feel better is the best thing.

Edited by NBranson

• 1 year later...

There is a lot one can say, but will keep it brief.   What are you training for?  One needs to be specific to your goal.  Periodization is key, depending on what your goal is.  If your a power lifter then train like one, don't be doing OLs and such, no cocktailing workout routines together. Be patient.   Biomechanics is huge, need to know how the body moves and how to best perform all exercises. Neuromuscular programming goes along way.   "Body becomes its Function" as the Bulgarians say. 

Train other aspects too, conditioning ( sprints, jump rope, etc ) and Stretch all the time.

Use what you have, depending on environment and money. Not everyone can afford a gym.  Simplicity is truly bliss.

Everyone is different and you know your body, All people respond differently to training. People think exercise is so easy, yet MOST do it wrong, from training to nutrition.

Heat and Ice are great for the body :)))))

Your best and most powerful muscles to get strong are the ones you don't see right away, behind you.  Glutes, Hams, calves, neck, entire back, back of forearms, triceps, etc, you get the picture.

Know physiology the best you can. Genetics is huge and know how your body responds and what to do about it.  Some aspects are is for the body, like Hams are fast twitch and need low reps. Soles in the calves are slow twitch, etc. Entire Back structure tends to have both and quads can have more of one or the other.  Remember the fighter BJ Penn did a standing jump right out of a dam pool !!.. Yeah we know whats his leg fiber type..LOL !!..

Train other muscles that you don't want too, because you need too. Extensors (forearms), rotator cuff, soles.calves, neck, oblique's, rear delts.  Wrist/Forearms have the most movement angles to move, as does the shoulder. Train all the angles :))) for longevity.

Consistently is key. Smaller more focused workouts are better then a couple longer ones through the week. Your training your neuromuscular system In relation to movement, so if your able to do a set every couple of hours (depending on your own life, job, house, gym, etc ) trains your body to be like a machine and will work better.  If you do more intense workout in the week, make sure to plan days to help your healing. Your body is meant to move, so doing nothing is not always better :)))..again depend on the person. I find for me the older I get the more I have to move, otherwise I fall apart...lol.  For myself I would workout through my injuries. If my knee hurt, I would deadlift. lol. I found my shoulder pain was imbalance and scar tissue, so training the angles and cuff were key. Extensors in my forearms were jacked up when I tried to do KTA and my dam elbow and forearm were imbalanced from having weak extensors.

One does not have to train to failure, if one decides to do so, then more recovery is required. You can still totally destroy oneself too, so don't worry :)))..

Change is fine, but depends on the goal.  Different aspects to this approach. If you want a big deadlift, then go dam deadlift, and limit other stuff or you can train all the other muscles/exercise in relation to help you get strong at it ( Louie Simmons west side for example ).  I like it more simple,  Most I did was deadlift and yoga for almost a year and put on over 100pds to be dead, again, specificity.  Other things are good to change, sets/reps/tempo/ROM/load/sequence of order of exercise;  are sometimes better change around more then the exercise itself, since you got a neuro groove to the exercise you perform and one wants to keep it grooved so to speak, keeps your impulse firing :)))...

Might have forgotten some stuff ??? but I just want to mention there are a lot of strong dudes on this board that have paid their dues. Listen to them :))))

• Like 1

One of the most important things in strength sports and life in general is the ability to handle setbacks, to move on when things are not going well or are even worse.

In every defeat is the opportunity of an even bigger victory. Its easy to move on when everything goes well. 

Your willpower will find ways through the hard times, it will show you the path and guide you to your goal, whatever this goal are. 

Learn to cope with setbacks and in the long run it will make you stronger, in every sense.

It depends only on you.

• Like 1