Road To Mm0, Race To The Red Nail, And Beyond

JaredWith1R

The spiral 60D or timber ties are good for when you try new techniques or different positions. I have a box of them.

It's funny you mention that because I used a few to give DU and reverse a try. They feel pretty good for getting that new technique, but not much for anything else.

Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

Most recent Gripper day (1/1/15). Can't wait to get my 30# fatman in today. Probably going to work on that one immediately.

• Trainer

• R: No Set - 3x10

• L: No Set - 3x10

• R: No Set - 3x7

• L: No Set - 3x7

• #1.5

• R: CCS - 3x5

• L: CCS - 5, 4, 3

• R: CCS - 3x1

• L: Negative - 3x10s

• GHP 5

• R: CCS - 3x1

• L: Negative - 3x10s
  • Like 1

My January 7th training day. First bending session in a few weeks, after a nice recovery break, and my first ever blob day with my new 30# Fatman. Everything went well, so I guess I'll keep it.

• Grip Training

• Bending

• O1 DR G x 7” (1.3)

• 0.260”

• Easy, Kinked like butter (4/10)

• G x 7” (2.3)

• 0.260”

• Paused to ensure good form (4-5/10)

• G x 7" (3.3)

• 0.2595”

• Froze on the sweep, Easy kink, psyched out after the kink (5/10)

• H x 7"

• 0.2645”

• Tough kink, got very psyched out (7/10)

• Super easy sweep, gotta get mad at the bar! (5/10)

• Tough final crush

• I x 7" (old kinked bar)

• 0.275”

• Took from ~160 deg to ~ 75 deg

• Not too terrible on the kink

• Basically impossible at current position

• Felt like I was trying to sweep/crush a brick

• Block Lifts

• 30# Blob Timed Hold

• Left: 17s, 26s

• Right: 30s, 29s
Edited by JaredWith1R

Took from ~160 deg to ~ 75 deg

Push. Rest. Push. Rest.

What once was stuck will move with time and effort. Rest is your friend, so don't be afraid to take time off. Very difficult with the bending obsession.

• Like 2

The spiral 60D or timber ties are good for when you try new techniques or different positions. I have a box of them.

It's funny you mention that because I used a few to give DU and reverse a try. They feel pretty good for getting that new technique, but not much for anything else.

Thanks for the input.

When I used to run into this problem (easy stock that no longer challenged me), I'd remedy it by cutting a pair of my leather (or Ironmind pads, because at my peak - I had 9 pairs of assorted bending pads) pads WAY down. Until they were pretty tiny. THEN the stock that was not very useful suddenly became pretty useful again. Add the element of pain tolerance into the equation and it (as long as you don't overdo the pain part) is a great teacher. To be honest, the super thin pad bends with moderate steel were probably the most enjoyable to me in terms of how they felt. Not too much pain. Not too much comfort. Just enough padding that it isn't barehand. But not so much padding that you can just crush into the ends of the bar and forget about what you're doing if the strength is there. And for me - the strength was definitely there to bend like that sometimes on my good days.

If you give this a shot, let me know what you think. It really helped me when Reds became not even worthy of warmup bends. I would cut some pads down and - not even close to barehand level - then suddenly the Red would be "worthy" of a warmup (or a working) bend again. :grin: I wish I had discovered it WAY before I got to that level though. It would've saved me thousands of dollars on steel purchases over the years.

Took from ~160 deg to ~ 75 deg

Push. Rest. Push. Rest.

What once was stuck will move with time and effort. Rest is your friend, so don't be afraid to take time off. Very difficult with the bending obsession.

GREAT ADVICE, Mike!!!

If you give this a shot, let me know what you think. It really helped me when Reds became not even worthy of warmup bends. I would cut some pads down and - not even close to barehand level - then suddenly the Red would be "worthy" of a warmup (or a working) bend again. I wish I had discovered it WAY before I got to that level though. It would've saved me thousands of dollars on steel purchases over the years.

Considering I have so many extra 60d spirals, I will certainly try this. Just need to get another set of IM pads.

Last nights workout. Need to start adding daily gripper recovery workouts and more sledge work for wrist strength. Also need to try the Trainer penny hold for Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/GripTraining/comments/2r0rwx/grip_training_contest_discussion_post_112015/) BEFORE an intense gripper workout, not after. Still got a decent time, considering it was my first attempt. Also need to get it on video.

• Grippers
    • Trainer CCS
      • R/L: 3x5
    • #1 CCS
      • R/L: 3x5
    • #1.5 CCS
      • R/L: 3x3
    • #2 CCS
      • L: 2 attempts
      • R: 3x1
    • #2.5 1.5” Block
      • R: 3 attempt
    • Trainer Penny Hold
      • R: 1:05
      • L: 21s
      • Not ideal to do post workout…
  • Expand your Hand Bands
    • White: 2x10
    • Green: 2x10
    • Yellow: 2x 10s hold
    • Blue: 2x 10s hold
    • Red: 10s Negative
  • Sledge Hammer 6#
    • 18” Platform Radial Deviation Lift
      • Right @ 24”: 4 reps, 1 attempt
      • Left @ 23”: 3 reps, 2 attempts

Great set of workouts today. Solid cardio and a new bending PR. Sledge and Fatman lifts went great for a first workout.

The second I size attempt was a little rough, but I took a small break to rewrap, then killed it. The old I size might as well be garbage. I was able to kill a new one before and after attempting the old one, but the old wouldn't move.

• Elliptical
    • 7.05 Miles
    • 39:40
    • 5:38 min/mile
  • Grip Training
    • Grippers - Light (2 min rest between sets)
      • Trainer No Set
      • 3x10
      • #1 No Set
      • 3x5
  • Bending

• G x 7” (1.2)

• 0.2605”

• Pretty standard effort (5/10)

• No trouble

• G x 7” (2.2)

• 0.2605”

• Same as above (5/10)

• H x 7”

• 0.265”

• DESTROYED IT (4/10)

• Get the bar as high as possible for all motions

• I x 7” (1.2)

• 0.271”

• Screw you, bar! (8/10)

• I x 7” (2.2)

• 0.271”

• Maximal Effort (10/10)

• Took a break to rewrap after the kink

• Stress in the triceps after each push

• Grip Rush: 60s, 18” Platform

• 30# Blob

• Right: 17, 17 + 1 drop

• Left: 18, 19

• Sledge DL: 24” handle, w/ quarter

• Right: 7 (none after 45s), couldn’t do 2nd set

• Left: 6 (30s), no 2nd set

New PRs feel great, apparently. Took some time, but it happened. Gonna be great to get the J size down, but I'll probably wait until next week to give it a shot.

• 1 month later...

Finally starting to come out of this long, monotonous break. Still gonna wait a little while on the bending, but hopefully that can make a comeback in March.

Sledge - 8#

Deadlift to 18"

R: 16", 17", 18" (0/3)

L: 16", 17", 18", 19" (0/2)

Grippers

Right

Sport - TNS - 2x10

Trainer - TNS - 2x7

#0.5 - TNS - 1x5

#1 - TNS - 1x5

#1.5 - TNS - 1x5

RB160 - CCS - 1x5

#2 - CCS Clamp - 2x5

#2.5 - MMS Clamp - 1,0,0

Left

Sport - TNS - 2x10

Trainer - TNS - 2x7

#0.5 - TNS - 1x5

#1 - TNS - 1x5

#1.5 - CCS- 1x5

RB160 - CCS - 1,0,0

GHP5 - To 1" Block - 3x10

^^CCS Set closed down onto 1" set block.

This was a good workout getting back into things. I did very light recovery work (Sport, Trainer and #0.5) during the break, which seems to have worked nicely. Feeling just as strong on the #2, and should be able to add a few more reps onto it soon. Going to keep working on the MMS Clamped #2.5 to progress, as well as adding #3 or heavy #2.5 Negatives.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=43285&p=627798

5x IM Yellow

5x IM Blue

2 min rests

All of the bends felt great. The lighter load gave me a chance to really focus on my technique, which is nice for the first session in a while. Probably looking to bend again in another 3-6 days, depending how my hands and wrists feel. 7 days if I increase block lifts and sledge work in between.

Also did my first 2H dead hang for the r/GripTraining contest. Stopped at 90 seconds, which I don't think is too shabby for a first shot. Goal is at least 3 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Grippers 50mm Block Set unless otherwise specified

Gripper R , L (Set)

Sport 10, 10 (Wide Set)

Trainer 10, 10 (Wide Set)

#0.5 7, 7 (Wide Wet)

#1.5 5, 5

RB 160 5, 3

#2 6, 2 misses

#2.5 10, 10 (Close to Gauge: 17)

15, 8 (Gauge 16)

15, 0 (Gauge 15)

Might get into some bending later today, too. If the hands don't hurt too badly.

The gauge works out pretty well. Next workout I'll start it at 15 and work down from there. I'm also going to try keeping everything at 50mm block sets for working grippers and Wide Set for warmup/recovery. After a few weeks, if minimal progress, I will try switching to a 20mm block set on the challenge grippers.

I also need to figure out how long to wait before doing a heavy negative day, and what else I could do that day.

Edited by JaredWith1R

Sort of an impromptu workout last night, I picked up my EXT-GM to do a few negatives, and they felt really good, so I jumped right up to my challenge grippers.

3/16/15 (50mm Block Set)

Right

EXT-GM (145) - 2x10s

#2.5 (126) - 3x1 (*New PR)

Left

EXT-GM (145) - 2x10s

#2 (110) - 2x1

Things went great, very surprisingly got 2 new PRs. Might change up the schedule to have 1 day of heavy training, from Sport up to #2.5, and another day of just challenge grippers.

This new PR puts me 18#s below my MM0 #3 goal.

Edited by JaredWith1R
  • Like 1

Video of my first CoC #2.5 in the right hand, and CoC #2 in the off hand. All 50mm GHP Block Set.

CoC #2.5 - RGC 126 lb. CPW

https://youtu.be/WcmNXmN5i2M?list=PLjP8_VE7PuMlddrvjL2Z4KNASFtYx-QEb

CoC #2 - RGC 110 lb. Jedd Johnson

https://youtu.be/6b_GCFbjoRM\

I'm comin for ya. MM0! 144# CoC #3 is going down.

You have been killing it on the grippers!

They're really the most convenient workout. I've got my rack of grippers either next to my couch or my desk.

Bending workout from 3/21/15. 10 IM Yellows, all kinked then swept, then crushed.

3 21 15 Pre

3 21 15 Kinked

3 21 15 Swept

3 21 15 Crushed

These all went down very easily, but a few definitely hurt the hands a little.

From this workout, I learned to roll my wrists forward to take some of the strain off of my wrists during the kink.

This past Friday, 3/27/15, marks the beginning of the next stage of my grip training. With the arrival of an IM hub from Jared Goguen on Thursday, and my Sorinex Loading Pin on Friday, I can finally start making progress on more than just grippers and bending steel.

I was THIS close to buying my plates retail, for $1/lb from Dicks Sporting Goods, when I figured I might as well take another look on the old Craigslist. 2 hours previous to my checking, someone (who lives 4 minutes from my apartment) was getting rid of 255 pounds of Oly plates, plus a bar, for the unbelievable price of $50! That's like $0.20/pound, amazing.

So on to the training log.

Friday March 27th, 2015

IM Hub (Claw Style) [R,L]

39.10 1,1

41.90 1,0 / 0,1 / 1,1

44.40 1,1 / 1,1

47.50 1,0

Wrist Wrench Replica (2.375" OD)

48.30 1,1

50.30 1,1

55.30 x,1 / x,1 (right wrist started to hurt too much. Must have WRENCHED IT! Left hand only from here on out)

58.00 x,1

61.10 x,1

63.70 x,1

66.40 x,1 / x,MISS

My plan for the rest of my workouts is to implement these feats into a sort of 5x5, or an A-day/B-day routine. I'll also have to check out some other logs to see how people train Rolling Thunder so I can try to apply that to my Wrist Wrench work.

Any suggestions on workouts are more than welcome. Thanks for visiting!

First real lifting workout last night. Still don't have a rack or anything, so my workout consists of Deadlifts, Bar Curls and Bent Row. I'll have to get a little creative until I can afford/have the space for a rack or something.

3/30/15

Bar Curl

45 x 10

55 x 10

60 x 10

70 x 10

80 x 5

85 x 3

Wrist Wrench

55.10# x 5

Dead Lift

130 x 5

135 x 5

140 x 5

IM Hub (Claw)

44.00 x 1 (injured right finger makes this difficult)

Bent Row

130 x 5

135 x 5

140 x 5

Hopefully lots more to come.

• Like 1