Lifts Needed To Be Strong At

ChimpGrip

What lifts do I need to be strong at to begin strongman training besides deadlifts and squats?

What lifts do I need to be strong at to begin strongman training besides deadlifts and squats?

What does your strongman training regiment look like? Or do you have no idea where to start.

For Strongman its pretty much strong all over but you need event training to do well - all the Strongman events are skill specific. Logs, Stones, Farmers, etc etc. You MUST do event training.

• Like 2

The fastest way to get in shape is to do the powerlifts. For better functionality substitute overhead presses for the bench press.

• Like 1

Watch a strong man competition and build/buy your own version of those implements and use them.

Monkey see, monkey do... or rather chimp I guess.

• Like 4

I plan to enter strongman competition in future and my gym training is mostly deadlifts, squats, overhead presses and grip.

Would do more strongman event training but equipment is quite rare.

kegs and sandbags are cheap and a big bang for your buck. Any heavy odd shaped objects lifted and carried really.

I would say just plan on curling 200 lb dumbbells.

Once you hit that you should be able to win any contest you enter....against anyone....ever. period.

• Like 3

What does your strongman training regiment look like? Or do you have no idea where to start.

I don't have a true strongman routine right now. But I do occasionally train farmers walk, do lots of overhead pressing as well. I stay away from any heavy deadlifting, powercleans or squats because I need someone to coach me in person to avoid injury. I know those lifts are essential for strongman

Atlas stones or heavy boulders- picking up from the floor to platform

Also heavy overhead lifts are good

I have 2 boulders in my backyard, one is about 100 pounds the other is easily well over 300 lbs (when we first got it off the ranch, it made the mule, the atv mule that is, almost fall backwards down a hill). I've carried the lighter one around the yard but there's no way right now I can do anything with the heavier one.

Watch a strong man competition and build/buy your own version of those implements and use them.

I've watched plenty of strongman stuff. I will start hitting stuff like dumbbell press more an all that. The equipment is hard to find and expensive

Once you hit that you should be able to win any contest you enter....against anyone....ever. period.

What are people going to say if I really do that one day? Edited by ChimpGrip

What are people going to say if I really do that one day? They probably won't be laughing.

I agree that it would be undeniably awesome.

I hope I didn't upset you man, I'm just having some fun...Chris Rice is 100% correct when he says you need event specific training to do well, other than that squats, deadlifts, and overhead press are fundamental, and training your biceps to help protect them from injury in the long run, and training your grip (usually axle) is also essential.

why am I not wining at everything every time? Lols haha Edited by king crusher

What are people going to say if I really do that one day? They probably won't be laughing.

I agree that it would be undeniably awesome.

I hope I didn't upset you man, I'm just having some fun...Chris Rice is 100% correct when he says you need event specific training to do well, other than that squats, deadlifts, and overhead press are fundamental, and training your biceps to help protect them from injury in the long run, and training your grip (usually axle) is also essential.

You didnt upset me, but it had me curious what the real reaction would be if legit 200lb dbell curls were done

I'm getting better at the overhead press, but I am falling way behind on squats and deadlift. I imagine front squats would help with loading stones

I currently train my grip pretty hard. My axel barbell is 3.5 inches in diameter, and since my hands are not that big at all (actually somewhat small), it is punishing. I use hand grippers and hang from a pull up bar too. I need to start doing pinches though, that's the weak link in my grip.

I'm having mid and lower back pains right now that probably need to be checked out

I've watched plenty of strongman stuff. I will start hitting stuff like dumbbell press more an all that. The equipment is hard to find and expensive

If you want I can explain how you could makes some of that stuff with the most basic tools that you should already have and a trip to home depot.

My axel barbell is 3.5 inches in diameter, and since my hands are not that big at all (actually somewhat small), it is punishing. I use hand grippers and hang from a pull up bar too.

What? Your axle is 3.5 inches? Why are you hanging from grippers?

I've trained abit with one that was about 70kg, nothing hard but I found it had a lot of carryovers. Also it was perfectly round.

Unfortunately we were building a waterfall at the time so it had to go in there but I would definitely recommend it as a lift!

You'll need to learn many things. If you only have a typical gym membership- include all of the following in your training:

-Deadlift

-Deep Squats/Front Squats

-Clean & Strict Overhead Barbell Press

-Clean & Push Press w/barbell

-Heavy Dumbbell Push Pressing

-Heavy Quarter Squats off pins w/hold for time at the end of the set

-Plate Carries (lots of weight)

-Kroc Rows/Chinups (for reps)

-Rack Pulls

-Static Barbell Hold (for grip, double over)

-Plate Squats (bring a stack of plates to your lap, and load them or stand up with them so they clear at least 50')

-Incline Treadmill Sprints

-Trap Bar Deadlifts/Or Running w/loaded trap bar (40-80ft)

-Lots of upper back work, trap work, core work

That should get you started.

• Like 1

My axel barbell is 3.5 inches in diameter, and since my hands are not that big at all (actually somewhat small), it is punishing. I use hand grippers and hang from a pull up bar too.

What? Your axle is 3.5 inches? Why are you hanging from grippers?

Haha poorly worded and put together on my part

I meant I train with hand grippers. As another way of training grip, sometimes I hang from a pull-up bar (hands only)

My axle barbell is 3.5 inches in diameter, not length

If you want I can explain how you could makes some of that stuff with the most basic tools that you should already have and a trip to home depot.

Would appreciate any tips on being able to make stuff from Home Depot

I've trained abit with one that was about 70kg, nothing hard but I found it had a lot of carryovers. Also it was perfectly round.

Unfortunately we were building a waterfall at the time so it had to go in there but I would definitely recommend it as a lift!

I've thought about going to this landscaping shop in town, they've got massive piles of rocks and boulders of all different shapes and sizes. I was going to bring the biscuit rock home from the ranch (it is literally shaped like a biscuit). But it easily weighs 1,500+ lbs

You'll need to learn many things. If you only have a typical gym membership- include all of the following in your training:

-Deadlift

-Deep Squats/Front Squats

-Clean & Strict Overhead Barbell Press

-Clean & Push Press w/barbell

-Heavy Dumbbell Push Pressing

-Heavy Quarter Squats off pins w/hold for time at the end of the set

-Plate Carries (lots of weight)

-Kroc Rows/Chinups (for reps)

-Rack Pulls

-Static Barbell Hold (for grip, double over)

-Plate Squats (bring a stack of plates to your lap, and load them or stand up with them so they clear at least 50')

-Incline Treadmill Sprints

-Trap Bar Deadlifts/Or Running w/loaded trap bar (40-80ft)

-Lots of upper back work, trap work, core work

That should get you started.

I have a gym membership and a gym in my garage. I will copy this down and work to get significantly stronger at each. Thank you!

Texas, USA

I would also say that getting strong in pressing, rowing, deadlifting, and squatting in all ranges of motion would be highly useful.

Also, 200lbs dumbbell curl would be a huge asset because the biceps are heavily used in strongman.