Mitti's Inch Journey Log

David Mitti

Just getting back at a serious grip program. Right now until warmer weather I will be in the basement with no chalk :( , we want to clean it up down there and the chalk just makes a huge mess.

Once it warms up I will be back in the garage with chalk and working towards the King Kong, really want to make it come 2016.

Grip is the only thing I will be training having anything to do with weights, Jiu Jitsu & flexibility work will be my other focuses.

Today's Grip work.

Wrist Wrench

45x10

50x6

55x5r-4l

55x3

60lb holds 3 ct both

60 Hold-3 ct

Euro 1HP 52mm

50x5

50x7

55x4

60x2x2

60 holds to finish

IM Lever bar Forward down and Back reps off the leg.

5lbsx10

5x7

5x6

5x5

5x5

Good work out ,weight will be down without the chalk but I'll still get some strong work in.

Thanks for taking a look.

Just getting back at a serious grip program. Right now until warmer weather I will be in the basement with no chalk :( , we want to clean it up down there and the chalk just makes a huge mess.

Once it warms up I will be back in the garage with chalk and working towards the King Kong, really want to make it come 2016.

Grip is the only thing I will be training having anything to do with weights, Jiu Jitsu & flexibility work will be my other focuses.

Today's Grip work.

Wrist Wrench

45x10

50x6

55x5r-4l

55x3

60lb holds 3 ct both

60 Hold-3 ct

Euro 1HP 52mm

50x5

50x7

55x4

60x2x2

60 holds to finish

IM Lever bar Forward down and Back reps off the leg.

5lbsx10

5x7

5x6

5x5

5x5

Good work out ,weight will be down without the chalk but I'll still get some strong work in.

Priorities...for me, chalk is more important than "clean". On your deathbed, will you care more if your basement was clean or if you did all you could to achieve your dreams? The basement is a tool to achieve goals, otherwise it is a museum. If it is that important to keep clean due to your wife's feelings or whatnot, why not just keep the items that need chalk in the garage and train there? You can always bring a space heater or similar or warm up in the house between sets, at least you have an indoor area with protection from wind and precipitation to workout in.

At the very least, use liquid chalk if you prefer the basement.

I want to see you achieve all your goals, do you?

• Like 4

So very true Bob!

It is a strong possibility I will set up a space in the garage for all my grip implements and get to work. It's nice in the warm basement but with what you have said(greatly appreciate your opinion) and what I have been debating on going about it,maybe the garage will have to be the place.

Thanks again Bob! Now it's time to get it done!I'll show you my set up once I get it done.

• Like 2

So very true Bob!

It is a strong possibility I will set up a space in the garage for all my grip implements and get to work. It's nice in the warm basement but with what you have said(greatly appreciate your opinion) and what I have been debating on going about it,maybe the garage will have to be the place.

Thanks again Bob! Now it's time to get it done!I'll show you my set up once I get it done.

I appreciate you taking my feedback well David; I wouldn't have taken the time to respond if I didn't think it would help in some way. The tone may look somewhat harsh, but I wanted to convey the attitude you will need to reach the next level.

• Like 2

Yep you almost have obsess about grip. I'm not saying neglect the most important things. Faith, family, career... However......... Make the most of Any opportunity to train.. People at work probably think I'm crazy cuz ill do pronation/supination with a broom stick and constantly stretch my wrists/hands when time allows me to do so. Oh well, someday it'll pay off and get me to my goals. Let them think what they want. I clean up the chalk mess at the gym anyway. Lol.

• Like 3

Thanks guys!

For real why train if you know you ain't training at your top!..

This weekend I am going to get an area in the garage set up for my grip training, layer up for the cold and go! Got some goals to get back on!

• Like 2

I hate a messy garage myself. I still use lots of chalk, but it is still very doable and a small effort to tidy everything up after training. Shouldn't be much of a problem. Every now and then I pull everything out my garage, vaccuumclean and wipe everything off. Really, I'm that keen on keeping things tidy lol

• Like 1

In the garage with chalk.

IM Anvil (which I suck hard at ) haha

90x2

90x4

90x5-- took a bit for hands to get in gear.

100x7R-5L

Holds with 100 to finish

Half 65# Hex Block Pinch

3R-5L

5-5

+2.5# added

5-5

+5#

1.5R-3L

Holds to finish with the 5# added

53kg Inch holds

2R-3L

3-3

1.5-2

2-2

5# added to finger side. Needed more time under..

3-4

3-4

6# Sledge lever holds to rear

1 hand from end of handle

10ct

12ct

At end of handle only managed 5 seconds each hand.

This time around with grip I want to hit more implements to develop a more overall hand/wrist strength.

Edited by David Mitti
  • Like 3

Crushed to Dust Session

The rolling 2.5" Handle I'm using is from strongergrip (custom made and is a lot harder than the RT handle which I plan on getting soon so I know where I'm at with it)

Rolling 2.5" Handle Lifts

100lbx5

110x1

100x2

90x7

90x7

Holds w/100

4R-5L

3r-4l

IM Hub

40x3

40x3

40x4r-3L

40x3

Holds w/40

5R 6L

5R 8L

8R 6L-- Very weird how one hand will wake up for a second.

Grippers. All CCS closes

#1 10R-5L

#1.5 8R #1 8L

#2 0 R #1.5 1L

#1.5 6R #1 5L

#1.5 7R #1 6L

#1 8R-6L

Edited by David Mitti
  • Like 1

IM Anvil

90x8R-6L

100x5

110x3R-0L

100x4

100x4

100x5

Euro-1HP

50x5

60x1R-3L

60x1R-3L

60x1R-3L

50x7R-10L

50x8R-10L

Thought I would have been a hair stronger ,maybe the Anvil took some strength away.?

COC Gripper Holds

#1 10ct both

#1.5 10ct Both

#2 10ct-R #1.5 10ct-L ««3 sets of this

I would suggest grippers-pinch-anvil...or if you skip grippers-just pinch first, then anvil.

You won't lose as much, if any from the anvil if you do the pinch first, in my experience.

Generally, the only time I do pinch last is if I throw some blob work in, because I get stronger the longer I do Blobs, until I'm shot. Also, once I do anything really wide pinch-wise, I'm useless at narrower pinching. I always do Blob work last, and generally only once every few months or for a few weeks a year, as I did a lot of it several years ago and my strength returns quickly.

• Like 3

I would suggest grippers-pinch-anvil...or if you skip grippers-just pinch first, then anvil.

You won't lose as much, if any from the anvil if you do the pinch first, in my experience.

Generally, the only time I do pinch last is if I throw some blob work in, because I get stronger the longer I do Blobs, until I'm shot. Also, once I do anything really wide pinch-wise, I'm useless at narrower pinching. I always do Blob work last, and generally only once every few months or for a few weeks a year, as I did a lot of it several years ago and my strength returns quickly.

Will try that order out next time with this routine, See what it does for me.

Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

Will try that order out next time with this routine, See what it does for me.

Thanks for the suggestion!

If you look at old contests, with some exceptions of course, overall there is a pattern in the way things are ordered. Combined with your own personal experience and instincts, you'll find what works best for you.

Grippers- CCS Closes

#1 10R-5L

#1.5 10R- #1 10L

#2 1R - #1.5 3L

#1.5 10R -#1 10L

#1.5 9 -#1 8

#1.5 9 -#1-7

Euro 1HP

50x7

60x2R 4L

60x1R 4L

60x2R 6L

60x1R 3L

50x 10

Anvil /IM

90x10

100x8

110x6R 3L

100x6

100x6

100x10 « rest period was a hair longer before this set and it felt better.

Edited by David Mitti

Grippers- CCS Work

#1 15R-12L

#1.5 10R-6L

#2 1R 0L

#1.5 8R -5L

#1.5 7-5

#1.5 6-5

KB Bottom up presses

25lb x 10

48lbs x 4

48 x5R-4L

48x4-2

48x5-4

Half Penny Holds

15lbs 20seconds R -15L

20lbs 5 sec both

15lbs 20-14

15lbs 20 both

15lbs 20 -15

15lbs 15 both

Glad to see switching the grippers to first worked out! Or at least it looks to me that it was a stronger workout. Any pinch or thickbar zaps my gripper strength completely. But the other way around is not the case. Mainly because my thickbar and pinch were never more than moderate anyway, I guess.

• Like 2

Glad to see switching the grippers to first worked out! Or at least it looks to me that it was a stronger workout. Any pinch or thickbar zaps my gripper strength completely. But the other way around is not the case. Mainly because my thickbar and pinch were never more than moderate anyway, I guess.

Yeah it seems to make a bit of difference, will be keeping them first in the sessions for now on.

Grippers MMS Work

#1 -10

#1.5-10

#2- 9R 5L

#2.5- 2R - Almost 1L

#2.5 -1R 0L

#2-6R 4L

#2 -7R 4L

#2- 6R 4L

Fbbc 2.5" Crusher (first day with it)

95x 3R 5L

105x 1

110x1L 0R

95x3R 5L

95x3

95x3

95x3

IM Hub (High rep day)

25x15

30x15

32.5x10

25x20

27.5x15

27.5x15

Edited by David Mitti

• 7 months later...

1)Bearhug Lift- (haven't done these in a long time)

180lbs- 5 sets for 3 reps 

2)1HP Euro

50x3

50x3

50x3

60x3

60x3

3) 2.5" Dbell Lifts

90x5

90x5

90x5

100x3

105x1R-3L 

105x1R -3L (Right hand couldn't keep up at this point)

Today was a test kinda day to feel things out. Figuring out exercises to group together for best results. Today felt pretty good overall.

2 Mile jog before grip work today.

Grippers (1" Block Sets)

#1COC x5

#1.5x5

#2x5

#2#5R-4L

#1.5 x10

2.5" Dbell Lifts

90lbs x 10

90x 8R -10L

90x7R -10L

90x7R-9L

Shallow Hub

31lbs for all sets

X3 each

X4R -5L

X5 both 

X5 Both

X5R-6L

Wrist Wrench

50x10

50x10

60x5

60x5

60x5

I think I will be putting the 2.5" crusher in this spot the next time around. Need to start focusing on the crusher..

Wrist Developer

Worked with the white spring to about the midway point,focusing on slow controlled hits. (Reps were in the 5-10 range)

Was a short workout today, but solid!

Edited by David Mitti

• 4 weeks later...

Long story short, with all the overtime I've been working and other activities and of course the most important spending time with the family I've lost my drive with all the weight lifting and different areas of grip. I am currently training 2 times a week for Jiu Jitsu and probably will alternate in a 3rd day every other week. This right now is where my drive has been. That being said while I was talking with my wife about the changes I'm making the one thing that I would regret not achieving when I'm older is not having lifted the Inch Dumbbell. The #3 gripper, 2-45 plates pinch and blob would be incredible for sure but the Inch is what really stands out for me.So as of now I will try and manage 2-3 days of direct inch specific training at maybe 20 to 30 minutes a session tops a week. As long as I'm making progress I will be happy. No set deadlines just slow and steady . Not saying all the grip areas won't be hit again some day but for now I just want to focus a little time on the Inch. 

That being said ,today workout was short and sweet just to get the groove going...

2-70lb Dumbbells w/fat gripz  Deadlift

5 sets of 10 reps.

Day 1 of the Inch training in the books!

Edited by David Mitti
  • Like 4

9-1-16 /Inch Work

Dumbbell Deads w/Fat Gripz

1)70's x6

2)77's x 5

3)82's x 5

4)92's x 5

5)95's x 5

6)95's x 5

40lb Blob 2 handed with light band around it to really put the tension on.

6 sets of 5 

Going to have some kind of pinch work at the end of my Inch work to keep a strong thumb . Don't want no weak links.

• Like 1

9-3-16.  Inch Work.

2.5" Dumbbell Rows

77.5lbs x 10

82 x8

87.5 x4

87.5 x1R 4L

87.5 x2R 4L

82x6

82 x8

40lb Blob Drags.

Went pretty good so went for some lift attempts and managed a few singles. Was pretty happy about that ,I have a 47.5 blob I am hoping to lift one day. Just want to stay focused on the Inch.

18 minutes ago, David Mitti said:

9-3-16.  Inch Work.

2.5" Dumbbell Rows

77.5lbs x 10

82 x8

87.5 x4

87.5 x1R 4L

87.5 x2R 4L

82x6

82 x8

40lb Blob Drags.

Went pretty good so went for some lift attempts and managed a few singles. Was pretty happy about that ,I have a 47.5 blob I am hoping to lift one day. Just want to stay focused on the Inch.

• Like 1