#4 Nowdays?

Captain Sam

paul,

stuff from this thread aside. can you explain why you aren't interested in the MM ladder or COC # 3 or COC#3.5 but you are interested in the #4? just wondering. bc that has come up before and it's something I just don't understand.

• Like 4

No, i could care less how strong you think i am/if i wanted to do the mash monster grippers i would have already done them. All anybody needs to do is go watch a 3.5 or rb330 ccs vid of mine, the grippers stay in shot and are clear, just click the youtube link below the post. Otherwise, look up results of the comps i have done. I have never lied about anything even remotely close to training numbers or anything of the sort and am a very honest person. If you want to think otherwise that's your deal and you are free to think whatever you like.

• Like 1

Paul, I genuinely think you should try the mm certs, take up tommys offer. I won't doubt your gripper strength unless you are proven wrong.

Barbe - mm never really interested me. The 3 / 3.5 is kind of like if you were hunting and seen a bear but then went after a rabbit, you are showing weakness to the bear. It's #4 and i won't take anything less. Hope that makes sense.

Oldrusty - yeah don't think i have ever done an attempt video on a gripper, i just do close videos.

Barbe - mm never really interested me. The 3 / 3.5 is kind of like if you were hunting and seen a bear but then went after a rabbit, you are showing weakness to the bear. It's #4 and i won't take anything less. Hope that makes sense.

Oldrusty - yeah don't think i have ever done an attempt video on a gripper, i just do close videos.

Yeah then you can just keep telling hunting stories over a pint without ever having to actually produce a trophy.

I call 100% total BS. There's not a gripper guy alive that thinks the #3.5 cert with a CCS is a "rabbit". Its just a convenient way you can keep talking with out ever having to produce. Every couple of months.you start posting in your log: "Time to get this done" and I just roll my eyes. You just like the attention.

• Like 4

Guess i shouldnt bother on this site then. Very negative people on here.

You guys may be ripping each other apart but quite frankly I'm just happy to see people talking about grippers again. They seem to have gotten "out of style" on this forum as of recent

Long live the torsion spring!

Guys, I have to say, Paul has been here for YEARS. We know this guy. His story has never changed. He has always been chasing the #4 and not interested in other certs. He has never expressed interest in the MM certs. He has posted lots of training vids along the way. He has met with others. I am surprised his strength is in doubt because he only really claims what is on video. When his name gets mentioned in these threads, it's always by other people. People have faith that he is dedicated to the training and there is evidence that he has chops on hand grippers. There is possibly a recurring feeling that "next year is going to be the year" but it's not like there is a blueprint for attaining this level of gripper strength. Keep doing what you're doing Paul. You've heard our piece about getting your name in the books at a lower level. You've addressed that before. Best of strength in your training.

• Like 9

He has met with others. I am surprised his strength is in doubt

I don't think anyone doubts he's quite strong. Maybe just not as strong as he talks about. Because, well, we really have no concrete (MM Ladder cough cough, everyone using the same gripper cough cough) of verifying it. Whenever he films something the gripper is not rated, it drops out of frame, always something that makes a person with a careful eye go hmmmm.

Look at the way Tommy documented his certs and bends. Why? Because if you are going to claim to be in a league by yourself you damn sure better be able to back that up.

Really it seems like a fisherman who caught a big fish, but still adds a few inches for bragging rights. Count me unimpressed.

Edited by Mike Sharkey
  • Like 2

Negative people dont offer to front their own money to verify a perfect strangers claims.

That really says it all.... This board is very much the opposite.

I'm a mid 140# closer, proud of that and have video proof!

I just looked at Pauls channel, his 3.5 close looks incredibly easy. Just a thought, i understand he may have seemed to belittle other gents, but ive jumped the gun before without thinkin about it, Paul are you saying that you are stronger or farther ahead of the other powerful gents close to ghe 4 list? An honest question. Clear this up, a bunch of us read your log and ive included your clicker method with grippers and have improved, can you answer this.... are you full of it or can you take the challenge presented by fans and peers alike?

This isnt a shot at you, there are plenty of good gents here, including Tommy, you shouldnt be appaled by internet questioning when you can take the discomfort of closing the grippers you have closed. Take the challenge and meet it. Why not? It is all in good sport i think. This is man shit brother. Back up them claims

What a strange thread. Paul is very strong with grippers and other grip stuff as this has been demonstrated in proper grip competitions. Being frank or even rude does not in itself nullify said strength. I therefore find this thread very weird. Paul keeps mentioning his top class grip competition results and people keep on ignoring those facts. You can actually be rude and strong at the same time. One does not exclude the other.

• Like 3

He has, in competition, equaled or beat Mobster in gripper-type events. Mobster, I believe, MMS closed a #4, AFTER a grip competition and this may actually have occurred when he came over to the US to compete. This is a good indication of Paul's crushing strength. I also recall seeing a video of Paul pulling 200k or thereabouts in the Axle deadlift. I think it is human nature to assume (or wish) that the strongest among us are the really quiet and humble ones but sometimes that is not the case.

• Like 2

He has, in competition, equaled or beat Mobster in gripper-type events. Mobster, I believe, MMS closed a #4, AFTER a grip competition and this may actually have occurred when he came over to the US to compete.

Sorry, that's like the BS with Kinney. Somebody his uncle's sister used to date knew a guy that tried THAT EXACT GRIPPER in front of a credible witness (no I don't know his name) twice from a set definitely wider than parallel based on the position of the Little Dipper.

Steve certing MM5 and Paul maybe closing a gripper harder than him on any given Sunday doesn't make him MM5 by default.

I'm certain that Nathan is the man to beat at grippers...and closing the no.4 with the card is probably something he can do in training. But I feel if it was no problem for him, he would re certify.

He is not around here on the forum...but he knows what's going on in the world of grip. And would do it if he could. He came out not long after the GHP cert started up. So he has a lot of interest in this stuff.

A no.4 with a 3" spread is a scary thing! CCS added to that, and it makes a guy ponder.

I feel it doesn't matter that he has already certified...he's probably working on this as I write. If his GHP that he closed is as strong as mine (214)...then he could do it with an avg.4. But we don't know? It could have been 205 or something.

But that was a while back when he did it. He might be warming up with that now a days!

I like what Vano is doing these days!

I was certain Vogt had this... But it's very hard to stay motivated when you train and train...and you can't close that gap-it drains you.

Loan has been quiet...he was Vogt close on his second video attempt.

Burke was also in the 1/8" area...and nothing yet.

And my dark horse ...not on ability, just because he doesn't let anyone know what he's doing...is John Wood. I saw a video of him from 2013 banging out 16 reps with 220lbs. On the Hammer Strength grip machine...full-range. That machine is different than a regular type grip machine.

Good luck to them all.

He has, in competition, equaled or beat Mobster in gripper-type events. Mobster, I believe, MMS closed a #4, AFTER a grip competition and this may actually have occurred when he came over to the US to compete.

Sorry, that's like the BS with Kinney. Somebody his uncle's sister used to date knew a guy that tried THAT EXACT GRIPPER in front of a credible witness (no I don't know his name) twice from a set definitely wider than parallel based on the position of the Little Dipper.

Steve certing MM5 and Paul maybe closing a gripper harder than him on any given Sunday doesn't make him MM5 by default.

"BS with Kinney." Oh, dear lord...

• Like 2

Better look outside. Hell must've frozen over. Because I "liked" something you posted.

• Like 2

Better look outside. Hell must've frozen over. Because I "liked" something you posted.

Pretty cold here, Ben.

Pretty cold here, Ben.

Yeah, I believe it. Although it is 53 degrees here now. Which is unseasonably warm.

Pretty cold here, Ben.

Yeah, I believe it. Although it is 53 degrees here now. Which is unseasonably warm.
It's 16 degrees here.

Because i'm training for the #4 and have ccs it to 1/16th a bunch of times and ccs thor super elite that is close to a #4. I don't personally care about a #3 or #3.5 certification and it's not a requirement to cert them.

• Like 1

Oh shit guys, what a shit storm this tyrned in to, im sorry if i started it. I didnt know that in my 5-6 years of abcens the board hade changed that much, very sad about that. I mean theres always been the kinney controversy that resurface every now and then but i have to say that this turned out quite badly for Paul. I hope you all have VERY good reason to doubt him. I come from the climbing comunity where our word is all we have, and everybody knows it. I hope this bashing turns around as im planing to get into grip again and gripboard was always the best site for news, gossip and inspiration, lets keep it that way...

• Like 2

They have absolutely no reason, i have clear video of hard 3.5 ccs close easy on channel along with 220kg overhand axle deadlift, six 5kg plate pinch etc / have competed in national and world level comps. Have no clue how anybody could think i was lying or why they would want to think that. I think it's pretty terrible, people should just support each other. I have never done anything but encourage anybody else in there training goals.

• Like 4