Getting Back Into Sledgehammers

PeterSweden

A couple of clips from todays training.

Second session on sledges after a ~2 year layoff.

Did these last, after grippers.

Not yet at David Wigrens level, but Im getting there :)

Edited by PeterSweden
  • Like 3

David, you can deadlift the 10 lbs with a coin on it holding the end of the handle?

I've done a 6lber at 32" for holds, might have to try again on this! Good stuff!

Forward or reverse?

My handle is 32" but when holding the end of the hammer the 28" mark is the first visual mark. :D

I want to hold it by the end forward :D

David, you can deadlift the 10 lbs with a coin on it holding the end of the handle?

I don't think I can do it today, but I'm pretty sure I have been able to do it in the past. I have tape on most of my sledges 26" from the head. In my mind if I can grab behind the tape and deadlift the sledge, I consider it a full lift, even though I'm 2" or so from the very end. The best lift I've made is with a 0.5kg plate added to the 10 lb sledge, where I grabbed behind the 26" tape. I'm pretty sure that if I removed the 0.5kg plate I could have lifted the 10lbs from the end of the handle. I've also lifted a 5kg/11lb hammer from behnd 26".

Great lifts by the way! Lifting the 10lbs from 19"! I feel anything past 15" is in the HEAVY territory!

You are sick :D

This is one of the things that I was good at without training.

First time levering the 10lbs to my forehead I did 7 reps.

A couple of months of sledgetraining I sat down and did 27 strict reps with support under my hand = you cant cheat by lowering the hand.

I remember Paul Knight commented on that video and told me to start bending steel :D

Too bad it dissappeard when my harddrive crashed after I had taken my old youtube channel down.

I will start to train these exercises now and hope to get a legit deadlift past 26" on the 10 lbs before I turn 30 in may.

• Like 1