Old School - Ruggedcanuck's Training Log

RuggedCanuck

Firstly, a little background:

I have been weightlifting for a couple years already with my focus being on all-round lifting. Some of my interests include pulling-lifts, grip work, and steel bending.

Recently I have started training at a more old school gym, which means I will be able to practice Farmer's Walks, one-arm lifting, push-jerks, etc more frequently.

My workouts are generally taken 3x per week, with an emphasis on heavy back work, overhead lifts, and grip. I do all my training without lifting aids of any sort.

Next workout is on Monday. Giving one-arm military presses a go!

• Like 4

Welcome!!!

• Like 1

Whats your focus in grip?

Crushing and rending/tearing strength is what I'd like to focus on the most. My uncle, in his 70s now, could legitimately tear phonebooks when he was younger - so that would be nice to live up to.

Some of the lifts I work on/want to use to develop this are: thick bar lifts, pinch gripping, rectangular fixes, etc done at the end of every workout. Feat-specific practice when I can.

Edited by RuggedCanuck

Of course, if you have any tips I'd be glad to hear them. It's only recently that I have been focusing more intensely on grip work; getting most of my information from articles back in the 30s/40s/50s.

I've ripped 1000 page phonebooks.

There is a trick you know!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NHQdtyoiR08my hottest tip!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zp3QY1jisG4

Edited by PeterSweden
  • Like 1

I've ripped 1000 page phonebooks.

There is a trick you know!

Yes, there is a trick version. haha

I think playing cards would be neat...

Edited by RuggedCanuck

I edited my earlier post while u answered.

I edited my earlier post while u answered.

Saw that. Thanks for the video!

It would be nice if I could do a phonebook without any tricks, but steel bending and grip lifts are more interesting to me.

Trained on a few new movements today.

First worked on One-arm Military Presses for the first time. Progression went:

30x5

40x5

45x3

50x2

50x8x1

45x5

All done as strictly as I could manage.

Next I did Axle Deadlifts - this one was at least 2 1/4" in diameter; probably closer to 2 1/2. I managed a few top sets with 235. Tried 250 and got it halfway up my thighs before it slipped from my hands. DIfferent animal entirely from a regular bar.

Rest of the workout was plate pinches (held four 10s for ~5 seconds each hand; then two 25s together for 10 seconds) and the Rectangular Fix. Worked up to 95lbs with a momentary pause at the top.

Also picked up a few Grade 2 and Grade 5 bolts today to practice bending with. I have a number of galvanized 60D nails and 10" spikes to work on as well.

Edited by RuggedCanuck

Rectangular fix?

You take a barbell in an overhand grip, no more than shoulder width apart. Lift it from the ground and stand erect, then raise the barbell up with the forearms until they are parallel to the ground - forming a right angle with the upper arms. It must be very strict with no movement of the upper arms or body swaying.

Figured out my strongest style for short steel bending, the Terminator bend.

I was having trouble with a grade 2 bolt just because I was trying to use a technique I wasn't good for (DO). Used the other style and bent it easily; would have been faster too if I had started out that way.

Today's madness:

Military Press:

95x3

95x3

115x2

125x5x1

Farmer's Walk:

115 x 10metres

145 x 10metres

205 x 10metres

Wanted to see how much I could use for a set distance.

After that I worked on some levering and forward hold/raise (not sure what to call it) with a 10lb sledge.

Edited by RuggedCanuck
  • Like 1