Warm-up For Pr

Chops

I am still looking for a good way to warm-up for pr's. I feel like i lose a lot of strength going up through a dozen grippers. I have also done the opposite and not warmed up enough!!!

What does everyone do before a big attempt at a PR? How close should you be to a PR before you stop warming up?

2lbs?

5lbs?

10lbs?

Thanks.

you have to experiment with what works best for you. Some of us respond better with lots of warm ups and some don't. I don't follow my program for PR attempts, Comp and certs. Its similar but I do less warm ups and take bigger jumps. For my MM6 certification my last warm up was my 185 lb MM3 Replica.

• Like 1

Warming up is highly individual and varies by event as well. A "muscle" lifter and a CNS type lifter will also need different warm up routines. The idea is to warm up both the muscles involved and to "wake up" the nervous system - not tire either one. Try different schemes - keep notes of the results - figure out what works for you.

• Like 3

I like to do several sets of heavy weighted dips. Bench press works too, but dips seem to result in better PRs for me. Don't know why. Then I do 10 reps on the #1, rest, 5 reps on the #2, rest, 3 reps on the #3, rest, 1 rep on everything else up with rest in between. Not sure it works for anyone else, but it has worked for me. Haven't done this for while, though. Currently on hiatus.

Tom

• Like 1

For me I put some work in, everything usually feels heavy. .. Then ill sit for about 5 to 7 min wondering what's going on, try again, then it feels light. This happens with block weights when I take alot of time of In between training.

• Like 1

For me I put some work in, everything usually feels heavy. .. Then ill sit for about 5 to 7 min wondering what's going on, try again, then it feels light. This happens with block weights when I take alot of time of In between training.

This is exactly why I posted the question. I experience the same, and was hoping that there was some known reason why my hand(crush) strength seems to need a different form of warmup than seemingly every other muscle group...

I have also been looking at how to train specifically for tendon and ligament strength to be sure that everything is strong enough to support new muscle growth, promote balance, Prevent injuries,and get more strength. I have found some very interesting medical papers and articles. If I round up some good info I will post it. I will definetly be incorporating some of this into my weekly training.

I like to do several sets of heavy weighted dips. Bench press works too, but dips seem to result in better PRs for me. Don't know why. Then I do 10 reps on the #1, rest, 5 reps on the #2, rest, 3 reps on the #3, rest, 1 rep on everything else up with rest in between. Not sure it works for anyone else, but it has worked for me. Haven't done this for while, though. Currently on hiatus.

Tom

I forgot to add one thing.......

Before I go for my max attempt with my goal gripper, I do one negative with a higher gripper, rest, then try for my max. Most of the time this worked well.

Tom

Tom

I forgot to add one thing.......

Before I go for my max attempt with my goal gripper, I do one negative with a higher gripper, rest, then try for my max. Most of the time this worked well.

Tom

I've tried this in the past and thought it seemed to work (did a few reps with a tougher gripper after doing negatives and the reps seemed easier...I just figured I was crazy