Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

I am wandering and aimless most days currently. I am having trouble focusing. 

Today all I managed was rev.hyper, squat, finger curls, ext., and walks.

i saw on Reddit that this months challenge was 1 hand plate pinches so I videoed a quick attempt. Unfortunately it was that cold, humid day where everything feels wet and I barely managed a lift.

• Like 1

Dude...you got heat in there?  How's winter training looking?

55 minutes ago, anwnate said:

Dude...you got heat in there?  How's winter training looking?

The gym is not climate controlled. Sometimes I put my grippers and atlas stones in front of a space heater to “thaw” them before use. I need to make a better floor plan so I can deadlift and overhead press inside over the winter. Right now I don’t have room.

• Like 1

josh.jpg

• Like 2

Weigh in: 206 Freedom Units 

Thursday 

ShP 140 3x5, pull ups +10 3x7, Bp, bent row, shrugs, rev./curls, tri kickbacks, shoulder laterals.

1hd finger curls 100 3x4, weighted hangs +145, 1hd pin lifts 250, wristwork, wrist curl 135 3x3

• Like 2

Well Today is supposed to be cardio but I am not really interested in running. 

I did some mobility work, some stone lifting type exercise, and some light bending.

4C15AEE7-D3F7-45BE-B705-306B1C1D9EE4.thumb.jpeg.41fab5b360b057cab7cc8f44bc0b16ed.jpeg

i cut a length of 3/16 x 1” bar and did repeated kinks for sets of time and then bent a SCF Polo 0.

And now as a special thank you for reading my log enjoy the video below of a creation I made a few weeks ago.

https://youtu.be/XLstrhRJd4M

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Monday 

I loaded today’s workout with a basic run thru of LL events and some rev. Hyper, squats and sit-ups.

i am not sure if I was well rested and fresh for some of the lifts or if training is starting to pay off. 🤔

Grippers 30mm block set(see video), single Slim levers 6# 4x3, 10# x1, 1hp (no Saxon yet) up to 85 L, fat grips deads up to 300, blob loads to platform, dumbbell load to platform, anvil lifts.

some video of a few gym lifts.

i also got a little shop time over the weekend.

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 2

This months challenge over at r/griptraining is a silver bullet style hold with a 2.5 Freedom unit plate. This was my first feeble attempt. I expect them to get better.

Thursday

S.P. 145 3x5, pull-up +10 3x10 bent rows, shrugs, Bp, shoulder laterals, curls, and kickbacks

finger curls 100 3x5, 1 hand deadlift up to 315(video), weighted hangs +180x3, wrist curls 115 3x8

I need to make a double hammer for training for the Slim lever. Unfortunately what I want to do requires the removal of the existing handles.

Sorry about this post. I keep running out of time while trying to add the text.

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 4

1. Cool

2. Looks uncomfortable

3. WTH?

:)

• Like 1

Monday

rev. hyper, squats, sit-ups, deadlift (295 3x5 rebuild PR), lunges, and Calf raises

Grippers 30mm block set GHP6 (129) 5x1, GM (150) mms x1, CoC3 (143) 2.5 F.U. hold x few

1 hand Slim lever 8# 3x3

Fatgrip deads 295 4x1

i don’t remember being able to lift 300 lbs. with these before so I measured them at 2-1/4 inches. I am not sure how that will transfer until I get my hands on an Andrew’s Axle.

Loads to 24”

york 40 3x5, Inch trainer 100 3x5

Thanks for reading my log!

• Like 4

Thurs day

sp, pull-ups, bp, bent row

finger curls and ext., one hand lifts, weighted hangs, and wrist curls.

i was tired so nothing remarkable today. I skipped arm work in favor of getting some sawing done which is kind of like arm work anyway.

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 2

Training-ish update

me: If I want to try some other joint configurations can I bring stuff in from home?

welding instructor: Sure aslong as you are using the same process we are using in class.

me: Bwahaha!! (Evil, villainous laugh)

BA5D8D67-FC90-476E-B38E-6C414D4E002D.thumb.jpeg.7e8e32d5af9a47054f7ba670d3d003f2.jpeg

And although not as cool as a brazed double sledgehammer training implement, these horrific aluminum joints are not the first time I welded aluminum but they are the first time I welded it with a torch. The possibilities are endless!!

2B8435EC-700A-4AF8-BCC7-EBAF7118A652.thumb.jpeg.a9096a5dbb0458b1d7527a1e49669862.jpeg

And finally, I got to stop by and see Brent. I told him everyone says hello but he didn’t believe me on the account that nobody emails/messages/calls him. I harassed him about grip training and made sure to thoroughly and repeatedly mention contests like Gripmas and Living Legends. Let us hope those seeds take root.

• Like 3

I'm anxiously waiting to see what you're planning with those sledgehammers...

• Haha 1

Dude, don't braze aluminum.... technology has come too far for that anymore.  😁

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Dude, don't braze aluminum.... technology has come too far for that anymore.  😁

You  do know that I use hand files, chisels, and a hacksaw to do most of my work, right? Technology is a bunch of hogwash!!,

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Monday

rev. hyper, squats, and deadlift 

grippers 30mm block set up to 129 5x1 plus a miss with each hand due to poor set technique, Reddit challenge hold (143j only about 5 seconds

1hp 35’s several sets of doubles

double sledgehammer lever 15 3x5

i had to wire wheel the implement before I could try it out. It is slightly out of square(squareness is overrated) and one of the hand holds is about an eighth inch longer than the other. Considering I cobbled it together from scraps and brazed it on a small uneven table with no clamps, I am ok with how it turned out.

the narrowness of the handles will take some getting used to. The double sledge lever seems to be more of a technique lift than the single sledge lever which to me seems more muscular strength. I will continue to practice both.

i had some cookin’ to do before heading to work so I cut the workout off here and judging by the gripper performance, my hands need a bit of a scale back anyway.

• Like 3

Thur.

Freezing rain today so no outside pressing. I decided to do mostly bench and wrist work.

pullups +12 x 30 reps, oar 100 3x5, bp up to then down from 185

wrist curls 125 4x10 , rotations and levers

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

pullups +12 x 30 reps,

Was this one set?!

• 2 weeks later...

Well last week was kind of a wash. Something things are finishing, others are about to be started, and I had to make the changes to make it all possible. Training wasnt really happening aside from a few moments here or there to get a set in or loosen that up.

i sort of have the garage a bit more organized for lifting and projects but I had to give up th space where I did overhead presses inside. I will have to come back to those when the weather warms.

Monday

rev.hypers, squats, gripes up to 150 rgc x 1 mms, fatgrip deads 265x4,4,2/2,2/2, side bends 

only 11 more training days til Gripmas!

• Like 3

Thursday 

weigh in: 213 freedom units - wha!?!

situps, pull-ups +15 x 8,6,5,5,5, bp, wrist curls 125 2x5,

Jekyll and Hyde Hub 

+25 lbs both sides “I got this! Wow this feels great.”

+35 lbs both sides “Man that feels almost too easy. Maybe the Hyde side is gonna be easier to lift. It’s so comfortable. If it’s too easy, it will make a good overload tool.”

+45 lbs Jekyll side “That wasn’t bad. I need to get a good chalking on it.” Hyde side(remains on floor) “What the @#$&!?! @#$&, @#$&, @#$f!”

Then I dropped back and ramped back up, tried different grips,  and stared at it like an exgirlfriend from across the room while it just sat there totally indignant to my feelings.

Dube Cube ball bearing(because I might as well kick myself while I am down)

+ 10 lbs both hands with effort

+15 lbs  several  half lifts where it violently ripped from my grasp and defiantly returned to the floor leaving me in pain, both physically and emotionally.

5EABDFFC-063A-4BB4-A1C4-2C96673203A2.thumb.jpeg.3e6bde128a36f26cb8c62ecb2abc23bc.jpeg

Even though this Cube is relatively new, thanks to the climate of the garage it has already began to “season”. Seriously!?!

F8FCB0A9-7218-4395-9166-3102C5679E85.jpeg.f32c46d5aa09088b4b3c7b92ec4ad9ef.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thats a real labor of love making that jekyll and hyde hub - I don't have any experience welding but I've spent alot of time in the past drilling, filing, and sawing metal to make parts and i just read how you mentioned thats pretty much how you make all your stuff - great way to get that real 3-d grip work out in while making an implement to have a grip workout - good way to put your welding class to immediate work making grip tools too - are you taking the class cuz you weld professionally or just to make the most custom, unique grip gym in existence? Either way, very cool

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

are you taking the class cuz you weld professionally or just to make the most custom, unique grip gym in existence? Either way, very cool

Both.

• Like 1