Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

On Friday, I only did a few finger walks with light squats and bench.

Saturday was the first games I threw this season. I threw pretty bad but I can't complain. I had only practiced a few times and the weather was nice. I managed my first sunburn PR of the season.

I didn't expect much today and I wasn't disappointed.

I missed a bunch of grpr closes and squats & bench felt awkward.

I did just barely miss a new gym PR on the Crusher. I hadn't even trained thickbar or Crusher in a long time. I think I might be on to something that might allow me to set new PRs every week.

-humor

• Like 1

I missed logging a few workouts.

I try to throw every Saturday during spring and into summer. Usually my last games is in July or August. At this point in the year it's pretty crappy and beats up my hands quite a bit.

Grprs were down today only managing 3 singles with 143. Flask was down too. I worked up to 65x1 then 60 2x2, and 50 for a hold.

This week is the last week of the program I was on, then I will switch back to a more regular warm weather program.

I am glad to finally have this idea complete. Meet "The Claw".

Ominous, I know. Hopefully today it will be off for testing. 0420170651.thumb.jpg.d6245c905b24d8f4194ef152673321d2.jpg

I may not be a good enough welder for this to be bulletproof but I gotta start somewhere. The fingerholds are 304 ss. The rest is mild steel. It can be gripped with the full claw grip or a bowling grip, two fingers & thumb.

0420170651b.thumb.jpg.8f726ed0411201c00851d3fab93b9592.jpg

Onward to other ideas!!

• Like 4

How cool is that?  Gotta ask though...when the weight pulls it out of your hand...does it hurt/tear?

4 hours ago, anwnate said:

How cool is that?  Gotta ask though...when the weight pulls it out of your hand...does it hurt/tear?

I haven't used it. I will be sending it out to someone to do as they wish with it. 

I wouldn't imagine it would hurt more or less than a hub. It shouldn't have any super sharp edges.

I an trying to make some rolling handles. Pictured below is 1-5/8 In. Ss304, 1-1/2 In. Sch 40, and "Kapusta" steel. @KapMan

0426172125.jpg

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

I an trying to make some rolling handles. Pictured below is 1-5/8 In. Ss304, 1-1/2 In. Sch 40, and "Kapusta" steel. @KapMan

0426172125.jpg

Kapusta steel!

I don't have any grip training updates. I got a bunch of stuff going on and am unsure if I will be able to put any training together before SJ4.

Tried some grprs 

136 mms L x 1, 1, 0, 0 R x 1, 0, 1, 0

Sheesh, maybe next year will be better...

49 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Tried some grprs 

136 mms L x 1, 1, 0, 0 R x 1, 0, 1, 0

Sheesh, maybe next year will be better...

Monday i did grippers, last week was light for deloading. I did 5x4 at 127 right and 104 left. It was sooooo hard. Speed was fine but I barely touched handles. My 104 is new and stiff too. I need more grippers for better training weights.

• Like 1

Another Fun Sunday!

I am switching back to Sunday workouts and with the schedule for this year, I wont have any real structured training. So if it seems like I am doing a bunch of random stuff, Its because I am.

Log Push press, deadlifts with chains, HWFD, Open Stone, Hammer, Caber, Sheaf, sled drags, Blockweights, Hub attempts, and atlas stones. Everything was light and weak but fun. Stone tacky smells so good.

Tuesday 

Presses and rows a few non-serious gripper attempts.

• Like 1

Thursday

Squats - still awful

Finger curls, extensions, flask up to a soft lift of 80 freedom units, reverse, and wrist curls. 

A solid lift at 80 on the Flask would a PR. Not training is working.59165deaa4e29_QuickMemo_2017-05-11-20-46-29-1.png.c92ce70690f6154f02cd9beb65998af5.png

A soft 80.

• 3 weeks later...

it been a while.

I have been working out regularly but have not kept up with the log.

I will most likely stay with three times a week for the rest of the hot weather and a throwing day once a week hopefully.

Throwing beats up my hands a bit so I will be trying to train grip as best I can.

In the time I forgot to log I hit MM0 with my left hand, had a really good blockweight session after finding out I will get a chance at this alleged "IronGrip Monster" at SJ4, got a few more soft lifts of 80# on the flask, and tried some really stupid stunts inspired by Strongman Archaeology(Facebook/Instagram).

Hit some pull ups hanging from the horn of my anvil. Fun stuffed.

Hit some blockweights in between upper body work.

Here is a decent video I stumbled across today. Enjoy.

Missed a few days due to some factors outside of my control. And in the next few weeks I will be missing more days... 

Anyway, due to inactivity inflammation has set into my right hand.

I skipped blockweights last night and could barely hold onto the bar for regular lifting.

Oh well...

Squats and same story tonight. My right thumb is painfully stiff and swollen. I tried wrist curls but had to cut it short. The inflammation is into the right wrist and elbow.

Trying some ball rotations to see if the light volume will help.

• 3 weeks later...

Both hands are done. No grip training for awhile.

Due to a work trip I had a deload week. I ate good and slept extra.

I figured I would test some lifts to set up the next training program.

These are all out max lifts in pounds.

Axle push press 200 (-20)

Squat 325 (-10)

Bench press 225 (-40)

Deadlift 385 (-40&chains)

Hard work and dedication are really starting to pay off...

• 3 weeks later...

SJ4...   You had to be there.

My wife and I set off on Thursday morning with much anticipation and nervousness on my part. You see months ago I was tasked with creating the "trophies" for SJ4 and now through struggles, revisions, and what felt like major catastrophes they were now "out for delivery" packed in a large carton with a dozen towels & a blanket and held down with two racket straps in the back of the van. I am not an artist, a welder, or a craftsman of any kind. I hoped that they would would make it in one piece and the winners would be so overjoyed at their accomplishments that they would overlook the flaws in my creations.

The drive was to be relatively uneventful. Since i wanted to arrive early to make myself available for helping and to ambush fellow gripsters on their arrival, i planned in a nice stop at York Barbell in York, PA. I havent had an opportunity to cross the great state of Pennsylvania during a weekday before and there are no York dealers in my area. It was awesome to stop at the museum and to purchase a few long desired items from their store!!!

The only further excitement was to be the horrendous traffic from several miles outside of Philadelphia to only a mile or two shy of our hotel. The apex of which was the most appropriately named Walt Whitman Bridge.

Ahem...*large over-dramatic theatrical voice*

The Walt Whitman Bridge

I am in the right lane,

I am in the left lane,

I am in both lanes and I am in no lane.

I will drive slowly and absorb it all in myself.

The cacophony of horns will carry me on.

Edited by JHenze646
Premature posting due to over-excitement
  • Like 4

Friday started at about noon. We arrived to meet Nate and Geralt after their Amish Market breakfast. It was a pleasure to meet Geralt. He is very personable and humorous.

We were given the tour of the Brous estate and introduced to Brooklyn, who Nate assured "never barks". I like dogs so Brooklyn didn't bother me one bit, however, she barked the rest of the time we were there. Later when recounting the tale of never barking to Nate's daughter, she looked at me very sternly, saying, "Was he being sarcastic?!?":D

Nate's grip gym was inspiring from the layout for functionality to the grip pictures and memorabilia adorning the walls. Quickly I pressured Nate into letting me assist with hauling the contest gear which was quickly loaded. Soon we were off to the contest hotel and were promptly met by the Voice of Grip himself, Allen Heineck.

Quickly gripsters started appearing left and right as set up commenced. The contest room was stifling hot but false hope remained that it would "cool off" for the contest. I had never had the pleasure of meeting Delmar before. He was soft spoken, personable, and enjoyable to be around. Matt Hunt and Matt Kraebring also arrived to help. They brought great senses of humor that helped keep things light-hearted in the over bearing heat. Meeting new people in grip is like meeting old friends you never knew you had.

To be continued...

• Like 2

Friday...

After a few hours of moving chairs from one side of the room to the other, the room was as ready as it could be on this trip and a return to the Brous estate was in order. Highlights of phase two of the set up where:

Delmar operating the scissors.

All seven or so of us running one tape line. (it was so a government job)

Nate laying out the gripper table.

Arriving at chateaux Brous, we were met with a glorious meal.

This was one of the best parts of my trip. I very rarely get the opportunity to just hang out with everybody and the company was fantastic. Nate received periodic messages announcing the arrival of one fantastic gripster after another.

At some point we went to the basement and I unpacked the trophies, some of which Nate had not even seen. Afterwards we went back to the contest room for phase 3 of set up. The Pick up Artists were checking in when we arrived. From here on, it just felt like I was spinning. So many great people... I don't remember leaving but we stopped for pizza and beer before going to sleep.(ominous foreshadowing)

0714171541.jpg

Edited by JHenze646
Set blocks
  • Like 1

The "trophies"

10381549-3D-render-of-a-golden-human-figure-on-top-of-a-podium-celebrating-his-achievement-Stock-Photo.thumb.jpg.80e40578c3d49fbab6452b25230931ae.jpg

Nate asked me to make Official SJ4 trophies for not only the top three finishers in the sanctioned contest but for the winners of the unsanctioned events. And when enough athletes committed to the women's and youth classes, he asked me to make one for those winners as well.(i had already planned to make something for these two classes anyway)

Nate informed me of what he would like:

A flask as first place

A crusher as second place

A gripper as third place

A medley first place 

A bending first place

A sledge-box first place(this event was canceled for logistics purposes)

All were to be painted black, colonial red, and yellow(hmm, yellow...)

He asked that I make them similar to the ones I had provided the year before but I don't like to do the same thing twice so I made a few adjustments.

For third place I did not want to make a gripper. I have seen amazing grippers made by Aaron C. and I would never want to poorly try to duplicate a scaled gripper for this award. I decided to make a hand crushing a gripper from my bent horseshoes. I contacted CPW and they graciously agreed to what had to seem to be a bizarre request. I decided to braze the engraved placing plates to the piece because bronze is kinda yellow.

0714171844b.thumb.jpg.43e14efbc6083e4f51291febcdcc98a3.jpg

For second place,
2nd.jpg

I decided to do the same crusher design as previously done but with a few changes, the engraved placing plate was brazed on, the base plate was special, and thanks to Andrew P's generosity the crusher in the piece is made from genuine FBBC KOAB steel.

For first place, I contacted Gil to get some BSS aluminum. I had no idea how to incorporate it into the design and after a few attempted designs I "bolted" a piece of aluminum down as the engraved placing plate.

1st place.jpg

First and second place, not to be out done by third place, both feature carved aluminum weight plates with some uniqueness and are chemically treated to achieve the black color requested.

The base plates of these three pieces were designed to replicate the location of the athlete's position on the winners podium. All the engraved placing plates were sanded, polished and engraved(hammer&chisel) by hand.

• Like 4

The women's trophy I wanted to do a little different. Besides the ball bearings used for the inch-style dumbbell the entire piece is stainless steel. There was no way I was going to paint it. The women's trophy also doesnt have a placing engraved on it. It reads "SJ4 Women's Champion".

womens.jpg

The youth trophy also got a different spin with SJ4 drilled into the base plate and a vertical placing plate.

jr.jpg

Unfortunately the medley piece fell during painting and I was not capable of fixing the paint perfectly. Painting these in general was struggle. I usually paint everything one solid rattlecan color.  Anyway I tried to make the medley piece to simulate what Nate told me the medley would be like. The hex block on it was one of my favorite miniatures I made.0714171845.thumb.jpg.8d1cb592ecd0964b4ee11e4bf801cc9a.jpg

The bending trophy was a battle. I had ordered 8 inch Bastards in the hope of "s" bending one but even with several hours of attempts it was not to be. I used a piece of 1/4 square to make the S, 8 inch Bastard for the J, some of Nate's sick short steel and I believe a junk of TSAR for the 4.

0714171845a.thumb.jpg.b02bdd96d932b25445e5c2fd4acaf0ea.jpg

• Like 6

Couldn't be happier with the way they turned out.  Truly unique and badass.

Thank you for taking this on.

Since I was here, I turned the photos right side up. ;) 

• Like 1