Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

I have kind of fallen off with keeping this log updated. The next few weeks should be consistent for training. So I am working out a plan.

I am going to try running a Cube Method style template. I have problems recovering from one workout to the next so the cycling of intensity may help. I still need to "practice" a lot of the movements at least once a week to see improvements so I chose not to lengthen my training "week".

One workout a week is just totally random stuff. This will be my weekend workout. Right now it is Sunday but if I ever get my throwing stuff pulled together it may move to Saturday. On this day I work on whatever I feel I need to work on. I have been doing power cleans the last few Sundays because the gym has bumpers and I can drop them. I have also done a lot of cable rows and dumbbell work for my shoulders and arms.

The rest of the week shapes up as follows:

Tues. - pressing & upper body

Weds. - squat & wrist work

Fri. - deadlifts w/ warm up & assistance DOTL/fatgrips

Grippers are the easiest grip item to bring to the gym but that may change.

Today I got finished quick at the gym and returned home to play with a new grip toy and squeeze on some others.

IM hub to 35 x1

2" Vbar L x 205 - right shoulder is acting up

Crusher to 140 x 0 both hops

Nick R. let me know about this competition. It was only a three event gym comp and the weights looked reasonable. I thought with a few weeks of good training I should hit all the weights and have a good time. I never got those good weeks of training...

I had never done a car deadlift before so that was fun. Regardless of how bad I performed, it was a fun day.

Josh did great and loaded all 5 stones last one being 300lbs. I don't care what you say that's strong!! It was fun hanging out!

• Like 2

Wed.

Rep. Squats

Wrist curls 50 5x5 I am going to do a linear progression with these.

Rev. Wrist curls, Kettleball levers, exercise stick levers, pro/sup rotation with the execise stick.

Fri.

Speed deadlifts

Def. Deads with fatgrips 3x2

DO bends in IMP 60D x2, 5/16 plated, 5/16 G2, 5/16 HR x2

My strength was 100% but I was surprised to place all the 7" bars right into position after not bending for the last few weeks. This was the first time I bent at the winter gym. The each member of the gym staff walked back to where I was in the gym. They didn't say anything to me but were apparently checking on the equipment or something. This gym also has more security cameras then my work. They must really worry about the equipment disappearing.

Sat.

Woke up early and went to gym.

Med ball throws to test new slamball and get some volume in. Sheaf tosses a little volume.

Sunday

Today it's about 60°F and sunny. I hoped to hit some farmers and stones but woke up with a nasty headache. I took meds and tried stones. It was a no go. Hit some blockweights and inch trainer holds. Did some reps with my Rice bomb.

Drove to the park and threw some hammer, Dr, made craters in a field.

• Like 2

Tuesday

Upper body

Bumper plate pinch holds & dynamic plate pinches

Dumbbell curls

Weds -in the garage

Squats 305 5x2(heavy week) - way harder than they should have been. I feel weaker and detrained. This is common for me with percentage based training.

Sledge fingerwalks

Crushed up to 140 x a hop twice

I stripped the base weight off my crushed. It will be going to the gym with me from now on.

I want to get my entry for the FBBC Crusher raffle.

• Like 2

Friday

Rep deadlifts 320 2x12 first set DO, rack pulls 405x8

DO bend IMP 60D x3, 5/16 G2 I couldn't get into position and called it there

Fatgrips def. deads 225 3x3

They changed the hours at the gym from til 11pm to close at 9 pm. I am not happy. The super early open and late close were great selling points when I signed up.

Sat.

Medball throws and sheaf tosses.

Another fun Sunday

Power cleans 185 a few sets of three, 200 by a few singles, 220 clean grip pulls

Grprs 136 4x1, r 136 x 12 count, l coc2.5(?) x 12 count

Seated rows, read flyer, rev. curls, tricep work.

Concept 2 rower for 5 min. Cardio is Hard...

Crusher did work sets then up to 130x1, r 135 2x1, 110 3x3

W/ clubbell swings

Stones 190 x2, 220x2, 260x2, 190x3

My hands were still tired. I am going to have to really work to move up the Crusher list for this month's FBBC Raffle.

Just posting here so I don't lose my log.

Tuesday 

Presses and pulls, curls

My shoulders were still fatigued from Sunday.

0207161454.jpg

Weds.

Speed squats 270 6x2 some of these felt fast

Wrist curls, rev. Wrist curls, Kettleball levers, exercise stick levers & rotations

Friday

Deadlift 390 3x2, rack pulls 475x2, def. Reads 315x5

Do bend 60Dx2, 5/16 plated, 70D 

Rev. 60D

Sat.

Med ball throws & sheaf tosses

Another fun Sunday

Power cleans felt awkward so after a few sets I moved to push presses and worked up to 210x1, 220x0, then push jerk. I am in about the same spot I have always been in with the overhead work. Not sure how to move forward.

Clean pulls 240 3x3

Rows, rear flyes, curls, & tricep work.

1500 m on the concept 2 rower in 6+ min. Easing into this cardio stuff.

Came home to work with my Crusher. Worked up to a hop with both hands at 145. Did a few singles left and right at 135 but with quite a few misses. I would get the left and not the right or the right and not the left.

Bent a DC1 to heart. It was the first shoe I bent in weeks and the first heart I have done in months.

0214161628-1.jpg

QuickMemo+_2016-02-14-16-05-43-1.png

I feel the biggest things helping my overhead right now are the front squats and Z pressing.  I was stuck for a long time.

• Like 2

I have been trying hard to get a 2.5 Crusher PR to submit for the raffle to no avail. My lift that is on the list is to a crossbar which is considerably easier than to lockout for me. I may not get a good lift in time for the raffle. I may have to set the PR in March.

I need to set up a game plan for the year. There are way more comps and events then I have time and money to attend but I still want to go to every single one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really need to make a better effort at keeping up with this log.  I have been using the progression in the image.

Heavy deadlifts are this week so we will see how this is working. 

I was talking the other day and realized I was playing more for the short game. I need to be playing more for the long game. I am going to try to line up whatever events I do this year to not so much interfere with more of a long term plan.

I had a few good training sessions the past few weeks, including a stop at Nick R. House. I will try to keep more of a log. After all the whole point was to be honest about my efforts and hopefully improve through learning and guidance.

All the best.

The-Cube-Method-Program.jpg

Using the mobile version of a website is really bizarre and frustrating.

Friday

Deads 410x2 420x1 435x1 365x3 rack pulls 435x2 455x2 475x1 495x1 505xfail.

Accessory squats and pause deads.

I really need to make a better effort at keeping up with this log.  I have been using the progression in the image.

I was talking the other day and realized I was playing more for the short game. I need to be playing more for the long game. I am going to try to line up whatever events I do this year to not so much interfere with more of a long term plan.

I had a few good training sessions the past few weeks, including a stop at Nick R. House. I will try to keep more of a log. After all the whole point was to be honest about my efforts and hopefully improve through learning and guidance.

All the best.

37 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Using the mobile version of a website is really bizarre and frustrating.

Friday

Deads 410x2 420x1 435x1 365x3 rack pulls 435x2 455x2 475x1 495x1 505xfail.

Accessory squats and pause deads.

All the best.

Train - don't test :)

• Like 1

I don't know why it duplicated the previous post.

This was training. 

505 should have went but it was an offday. I broke it off the rack but immediately started to round over unacceptably and set it back down.

On 3/5/2016 at 0:42 PM, climber511 said:

Train - don't test :)

How often do "you" test? Are you supposed to have blind faith for months or years? 

When I make something at work, I measure constantly. Its not that I don't trust the plan it's that it is easier to fix problems and short comings as you go than finding out at the end.

Another fun SundaY

Sp 150 2x5, pull ups 5x6

BP 195 3x5, 1rm row 105 5x6

Tri/bi/shrugs

Crusher 110 3x5

Inch trainer 100 x griprush

Two 35's pinch 3x2

While hittingrip, iip heated a piece of bending steel with a torch and hammered it out to make a small hook. Projects...

This is the only site I have to use in the mobile version and it fights me the entire time. Autocorrect goes crazy on everything I type and if I try to delete and changanything, ng < all kinds of stuff happens.

It's only on this site and it is frustrating.

0306161542.jpg

Tuesday

Squats 325x3, x1,1,1

It was supposed to be two sets of three but the first set was ugly/rough.

Wrist work 3-5 sets in all directions.

Front squat, situps, & side bends.

The plates at home feel much heavier than at the winter gym.

Wednesday

P.cleans & p.press 175 3x3 clean pulls 275 2x3

Do bend 60dx2, 5/16 G2, 70Dx fail, 9/32 FBBC SS

I got a new batch of 70Ds that I can only wobble. 

It has been warm lately and it feels good to list in the garage.

Friday

Reads 340 5x2, block pulls390 3x2, 1" def. Reads 315 3x3

Squats and back ext.

Sunday

SP 155x2 160x1, 165x1

Crusher 120 3x3 4- tens pinch, two 35's pinch, 45's around the world.

Bp up to getting stapled by 255.

Pull ups and rows.

DC1 to 180 L

• Like 1

Tuesday

Squats 340x2, 350x1, 360x1 - these were super hard and should not have been. I filmed the 360 rep and no surprise. It was awful. It was super high and my knees went way to far forward.

Wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, front and rear levers.

Front squats up to 275x0 - a single at 245 was too easy but this proved to be too big of a jump

I tried to do the sledge rotations like will be at NAGSC this year and never budged a 6lb hammer. Any attempt to use body english torqued my shoulders painfully(why I never do them at Gripmas). I am not really upset that I wont be there this year to bomb the event. I hope everyone else fairs better.

I am approaching the end of this training cycle and unless a miracle happens, it is going to test less than stellar. Where to go from here...

I feel like the only things that have been successful with this training has been the further separation of deads and squats and doing rackpulls after deads. I haven't lost weight but feel like i have lost muscle and strength the last so many weeks. The "other 23 hours" are really taking a toll it seems. Also I am not really missing doing grippers at all.

A side note. I used the desktop to log tonights post and it is 100 times better than trying to fight the mobile version of the site from my tablet.

Thanks for reading my log.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Tuesday

Squats 340x2, 350x1, 360x1 - these were super hard and should not have been. I filmed the 360 rep and no surprise. It was awful. It was super high and my knees went way to far forward.

Wrist curls, reverse wrist curls, front and rear levers.

Front squats up to 275x0 - a single at 245 was too easy but this proved to be too big of a jump

I tried to do the sledge rotations like will be at NAGSC this year and never budged a 6lb hammer. Any attempt to use body english torqued my shoulders painfully(why I never do them at Gripmas). I am not really upset that I wont be there this year to bomb the event. I hope everyone else fairs better.

I am approaching the end of this training cycle and unless a miracle happens, it is going to test less than stellar. Where to go from here...

I feel like the only things that have been successful with this training has been the further separation of deads and squats and doing rackpulls after deads. I haven't lost weight but feel like i have lost muscle and strength the last so many weeks. The "other 23 hours" are really taking a toll it seems. Also I am not really missing doing grippers at all.

A side note. I used the desktop to log tonights post and it is 100 times better than trying to fight the mobile version of the site from my tablet.

Thanks for reading my log.

Im always a little amused when people are bummed while doing things I likely will never be able to do. ;)  

Keep fighting the fight man.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

The "other 23 hours" are really taking a toll it seems.

Yeah it happens, and can be hard.  Keep moving forward and things will swing your way again soon.  Good stuff in here.  Also those 70d's sound brutal.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, anwnate said:

Im always a little amused when people are bummed while doing things I likely will never be able to do. ;)  

Keep fighting the fight man.

What isn't possible for you? Seriously, I don't think anything could stop you.

I am really going to have to consider my phrasing and worchoiceces - yeah mobile!

My posts aren't meant to sound negative. My tone is very calm and objective. Maybe I could tell jokes...