Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

It's a great quick read about the psychology of change and habit forming. It's actually a reread from several years ago. I'm working my way through the next volume of Swamp Thing too. Maybe we should start a gripboard reading club?

• Like 1

Glad to hear you're on the mend Josh.  The hardest thing for me to overcome after my surgery was the loss of confidence - even more so than the loss of strength.  We just have to keep on showing up and doing the best we can - keep the faith - this too shall pass.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andrew Dube said:

It's a great quick read about the psychology of change and habit forming. It's actually a reread from several years ago. I'm working my way through the next volume of Swamp Thing too. Maybe we should start a gripboard reading club?

Maybe we could start a “Recommended Reading” thread in the off topic section. You could recommend and give a brief summary of a book.

• Like 2

23 of 40

AA360098-205E-49B0-BB38-50BD3CA6CE27.thumb.jpeg.54cb5477f428d25c1985832d0aaaeb5c.jpeg

Lifting 4 days a week is going to change to three to accommodate what should be a busy Spring/Summer.

i am also considering reducing shoes to once a week now, or maybe a few more weeks yet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday 

yea! Another Fun Sunday!

I attempted to move my small stone to the back yard from the front yard. Easy pick and made it two-thirds before it became uncomfortable to breath. I decided to run a few sprints, read elderly shuffle, to improve my conditioning.

A86C0D67-03B4-4841-8D7B-7137DF770845.thumb.jpeg.a9a85b64fb9143d469097cb4f352e71a.jpeg

25-29 of 40 still all super easy

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Deadlifts today

i struggle with  crushing the horseshoes down enough  to fold them in the leg crush. I have been utilizing a piece of flat bar for  volume in this crush down position.

it was decent outside today. I grabbed a kettlebell and went out into the yard. (I have a yard!) I attempted some juggling managing some flips to the front and figured out how to flip out to the side. New skillz!

This is my blockweight cabinet. 7A7759A2-5C44-4E09-96F4-DAF4E700BD9E.thumb.jpeg.d5e18527e25f5f213e87b8769c51deea.jpeg

Even though they aren’t practicing social distancing, they are under lockdown.A13A8B98-FBFA-45F4-810B-324874F5CAC4.thumb.jpeg.e8f97193b12d141c4e6dc48fb1324472.jpeg

Info: I made this out of bed frame and total gym pieces, so technically Chuck Norris is right I can get strong working out on a Total Gym.

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sunday

I had no plan for today 

SSB box squats with chain 10x3

Bp 5x10

Horseshoes 33-36 of 40

I had hoped to move up in difficulty with the horseshoe hearts but with the world the way it is buying more horseshoes to bend doesn't seem like a priority.

I have been relieved to see various people post that they are doing ok despite the current events. So if anyone is wondering, we are ok. I am still working, longer hours but fewer days a week. Since we are an at risk household, I am only going to the store when absolutely necessary and dont leave the house besides work. I have enjoyed having lunch and watching bad television shows/movies with my wife. I am trying to be productive with my time by tinkering in my shop, reading books, etc. but seem to be wasting too much of my time online and baking(seriously, I have made pies, cakes, brownies, marshmallow treats, etc.) Its kind of hard to plan or focus. Things are ok now but uncertain.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2020 at 9:48 PM, JHenze646 said:

Things are ok now but uncertain.

I feel you on this big time. Glad to hear you're otherwise well. I too, have lots of things to keep me busy at home and I would unequivocally be enjoying this time if not for all the uncertainty. I check my work email daily waiting to be told either we can come back to work or it's time to apply for EI. Good to see some lifting in your log again! Are you still running through spider webs? The sun is shining here and I'm planning to run in a bit. Getting away from home gives the world a sense of normalcy I've never needed before.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andrew Dube said:Are you still running through spider webs? The sun is shining here and I'm planning to run in a bit. Getting away from home gives the world a sense of normalcy I've never needed before.  

I moved to a different area of town last fall. The trails I used to run are no longer nearby. While I am somewhat familiar with the immediate area, some exploration is needed to find suitable activity locations. I would like to locate a field for sprinting an throwing. Since I now have a yard, I am planning to acquire a decent sized tire for flipping and sledgehammer work but I am refraining from any unnecessary contact with the outside world to do so. I am not undertaking any new home projects or repairs and only work on creative project which I already have material for. Thankfully I hoard materials but am anxiously eyeing my flow meter as my argon supply dwindles.

The outside world is kind of surreal here. Some areas are disturbingly quiet and a small portion of the populace have adopted an apocalypse mindset, disregarding traffic laws and social decency. Whenever the weather is nice most people seem to disregard the recommended health precautions as well.

• Like 2

Well here is all 40. All SCF UL of one size or another. I am done for now 😥 but maybe I can revisit this someday after the global emergency.

191BCC52-C90E-411A-AA90-F6D87EC587E9.thumb.jpeg.d21fe6563d70bb53ea69457c2cc81c7b.jpeg

• Like 3

The next two week are a deload of sorts.

Tues

Bp 5x1 - moved fast and felt good

Thurs

deads w/chains 5x3 - smokin’ - despite my injury deads are easy and smooth

i am ready and starting to work some grip training back into the mix.

i have some projects to work on the next few days while I read/listen to Outliers by M. Gladwell

i am looking forward to Sunday’s workout. 

On 4/5/2020 at 2:42 PM, JHenze646 said:

Well here is all 40. All SCF UL of one size or another. I am done for now 😥 but maybe I can revisit this someday after the global emergency.

191BCC52-C90E-411A-AA90-F6D87EC587E9.thumb.jpeg.d21fe6563d70bb53ea69457c2cc81c7b.jpeg

That is very cool Josh! Looks bad ass.

• Like 1

Since we are all locked down here in PGH, I have decided to put a small garden in the yard this year and to turn the soil by hand.  So far I put in two good sessions and have made a bit of progress.

Sunday

Light arm work

rolling handle work

2.75” up to 125x1

2” up to 145x1

listening to “Atomic habits” by James Clear

• Like 1

Garden session three - finally done with the first step

light seated press and shoulder work - still deload week

tonight also happens to be “loose tolerances Tuesday” so I tried unsuccessful to use this homemade jig to make a few brackets. 🤦‍♂️04BE6EC6-8331-43A9-841A-0D4624B1BAAB.thumb.jpeg.45637421a769f6da313ef69c3546473b.jpeg

i might try to attend a powerlifting meet by the end of the week. I just gotta find out if they have a “weak and broken” class. 🤷‍♂️😂

• Like 2

I gave the 1st annual Corona Virtual Powerlifting challenge a go today.

Squat 300  - this felt sketchy. I skipped the other attempts 

bench 250 -  I haven’t tried anything heavy lately so this was more awkward than anything but a good call

Deads 370 - speed rep! this is  more than I have touched in months but it was the third attempt and I am not trying to push my luck.

Seated Press 165 - same as bench

i also hit a Grip total.

V2 4/5 Gold spring 

1hd Flask 72.5

Crusher 135

I think I spent more time changing weights than any else today.😂

• Like 1

Sunday

back and shoulder volume work 

I also hit a few garden session. I decided to start with a small garden this year and hopefully expand as I go. Here it a picture of the ever exciting dirt.

2AF97459-782F-46D3-A076-2EC6CB09FBF5.thumb.jpeg.8159f18cea9862608ee131d2c8bd9113.jpeg

i started referring to these sessions as “cardi-hoe”. 

Tues

Bp, OAR

Flask 55 clusters x unknown

Jekyll Hub 30 3x2

15 min Cardi-hoeing 

Thanks for reading my log!

Thurs. workout on Friday

Deads 195, 225, 255x17 + chains  cardio gave out and I didn’t want to push with sloppy reps

wrist curl volume

listened to “On Trails” by R. Moor

Sat.

1hr Cardi-hoe/lawn butchering 

• Like 1

Sunday - raining

Cheekmeat work

Rice Inch trainer 100 10x2

DC0 to 180 with significant effort 

Top soil medley 

grab 80# top soil out of van on street, carry to shed in back of yard, and jog back 5 trips 70% speed

1966DDB6-2E9C-4857-A181-9838BDE0AE0B.thumb.jpeg.df300a95589a78648304166e73891a27.jpegp

• Like 1

Fri. (5s)

squats 175, 205, 230 x 6 135 2 x10

Sunday

shoulder & upper back work

70D in leathers for figure(felt all kinds of weird strains and cramps, ha)

16kg kettlebell flailing in yard - flips to front, side, and *behind the back

832FE4EB-7C82-42B4-A64D-084373AFFDF8.thumb.jpeg.7f98555aa47ca25f8f3c5550dc1716c2.jpegD6F6DC83-FA44-4291-AB0B-9FA6F28042E8.thumb.jpeg.c1ceaa1a2acafeefcee69da7d0b95a79.jpeg

*denotes new skillz 

• Like 3

This week has been really un focused.

Tues. 

Bp - I did the required sets/ reps and that was it.

thurs. 

Deads - same as Tues. 

Sun. 

Did a circuit of exercises to warm up. Didn’t have anything.

Maybe next week...

• 2 weeks later...

I have missed a few log updates but I haven’t missed workouts. Most workouts are little more than a warm up and the main exercise of the day. My conditioning is still a problem without a remedy in the near future and my diet has not been good either. 

Anyway, yesterday was a nice day so I went out into the yard.

Another Fun Sunday

Farmer walks 70 x 3, 140 x2 strangely my ankles were the weak point here 

log - clean and viper press each rep 130 3x5

sheaf tosses 5x3 70% effort 

atlas stone 5x1 little stone

skull crushers 3x10 65  for elbow health

Scf polo 0 to 180 with significant effort - I just couldn’t find my positions

as this was yesterday, today I have all the weird little sorenesses.

no book updates. My audiobook app isn’t working correctly and I am reading through a large textbook that is going to take some time.

• Like 2

Sounds like a fun outside workout! Curious how you measure effort on the sheaf toss? Is it based on target height or more of a subjective measure?

On 5/28/2020 at 6:43 PM, Andrew Dube said:

Curious how you measure effort on the sheaf toss? Is it based on target height or more of a subjective measure?

It’s really a subjective measure.

50% is going through the motions with the implement

70% is hitting cues is a “smooth” motion

80% is applying force through one or more cues

90% is throwing trying to achieve a fast motion

100% has never happened 

• Like 1

I got a notification that some one new was following my log now.

75601A18-C0A8-4D2C-AF1C-F329F60626D0.thumb.jpeg.5422535962ba352558829de67b1a30bb.jpeg

Ima gonna eat this whole sugar crepe pie to celebrate.

Over the holiday weekend my wife discovered an army of bees trying to invade our house. I was told to handle it. In the process of standing tip-toe on the step of the ladder that clearly states “Do not stand on this step”, the insecticide decided to ricochet back out of the hole covering my face and head. Thankfully I religiously wear safety glasses. I washed off thoroughly and didn’t notice any problems.(mon)

Tues. 

Skull splitting headache / no workout

the headache would continue to linger for a few days

Thurs.

sp. 155x1

sq. 260x1

i worked up to the programmed singles and then quit.

Another fun Sunday

i had no plan today as next week is deload.

rows, shrugs, shoulder laterals, arnold presses, block curls then went outside for some kettlebell work - flips to front, side, and behind the back. I learned how to spin the kB to the front, also flipping the 24kg is easier than the 16kg

club swinging 

443F1CCA-A27E-4C6F-8013-21DE0D99DB17.thumb.jpeg.3b0da34c52d6a6010ad6d1690621e43a.jpeg

came back inside for a DC2 to heart(I need to order more shoes)

I am looking forward to the future.

F42828BE-0F59-42A0-9D23-00213C76FFA3.jpeg.f9fe514210970c6d53dcc46ba9a99b2f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1