Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

55 minutes ago, Andrew Dube said:

I'll look over this in more detail tomorrow, but a few questions:

1. How much does this represent a typical day? I'm wondering if has station Carmel corn is a regular item Haha.

2. Are the up days training days? Are you intentionally cycling calories?

3. I seem to recall you are gluten free and this log would confirm that. Do you have any other food restrictions?

4. Related to question one, do you meal prep and/or make the same few dishes  over and over?

5. That's a lot of coffee, I hope you have a local roaster you like ;)

1. The down day would be an off, non-typical day. The up day would be the other 5 to 6 days a week. 

2. I adjust calories(carbs) by feel, the scale readout, and performance.

3. Gluten-free, Lactose-free, caffeine addicted and broke. 💰

4. I plan my meals ahead 80 percent of the time. Most is made in advance but nothing beats a hot fresh dinner.

5. Maxwell House is an intergal partner in my world domination. 🌎

On 1/28/2019 at 11:03 PM, JHenze646 said:

Food log

Down day

breakfast

two cup coffee and bag of gas station Carmel popcorn 

*driving

Luna protein bar

3 oz. cashews, 2 bananas, 2 more cups of coffee

lunch

3 beef tacos with two avocados, some water and another cup of coffee

diner

2lb. Chuck roast  steak, 2 zucchini’s with peppers and onions

Premium Bourbon 

24ECA193-8F7A-41A7-B928-D39545AC75EE.thumb.jpeg.25106d0081e1eb20bd525c5dcedcc301.jpeg

*foot for scale

Up day

Breakfast

3 egg omelette with peppers and onions 

4 cups coffee with milk and sugar

2nd breakfast

4 oz steak and can of peaches in heavy syrup 

mid-morning snack

Survival sandwich- 4 oz chicken breast, half jalapeño, mayonnaise, on corn tortilla

lunch

chicken breast in mushroom gravy over rice (5 cups)

sweet iced tea 1 L

classroom dinner

8 oz hot sausage sandwich with 4 oz cheese and mustard

gatorade

late night

peanuts in the shell

Premium Bourbon

D3FF71C7-9D26-4ABE-9419-5A1B858A0B36.thumb.jpeg.92d6cbbd37eb3af0744779728d604d95.jpeg

Right now I weigh in at 215. However that might be water weight from the hours spent driving. I also anticipate losing several lbs once the weather allows for conditioning again.

From looking it over, I can tell right away that I need an afternoon snack added in there.

And before anyone says anything about my caffeine consumption... don’t.

So the biggest things I notice are:

1. not enough carbs, breakfast lunch and dinner should all have a generous serving of rice, quinoa, oats, GF noodles or whatever alternative grain floats your boat

2. breakfast is too small, I'd recommend adding a bowl of oats (see 1)

To share my own experience with gaining weight; the most important thing I learned is that consistency is king. I used to think I ate a lot because I could put a lot of food away in a single sitting. But gaining weight requires consistently eating more food than you need to. This is often uncomfortable. The second thing is that simplicity = consistency. Shopping for, prepping, cleaning up after and eating unique meals each day is too complicated to adhere to. You definitely want to eat a wide variety of foods and you should make sure to treat yourself too, but by eating the same few things in the same quantities its very easy to make adjustments. Not gaining? Bump your breakfast eggs from 3 to 4, add another banana to your smoothie, up your dinner rice from 1 to 1.5 cups, etc. 

One more thought: make sure your bowls, plates, lunch tupperware, whatever you eat out of are large enough. I eat most of my dinners out of a serving bowl. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

Very Cool.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm surprised you got that! Use that bar well and I'll be doing more wrist work til I see it again - looking forward to seeing your lifts on it

• Like 1

The “official” Cottrell and the weirdest pickaxe lever technique.

80D31691-8024-46F0-A0CC-45D5CB6C6008.thumb.jpeg.bb5f66db17f4eace7b515ea02b4f9429.jpeg

The Amazing Jose.

7FEC7C8E-80CC-4A83-BFB6-3BAA250DC96F.thumb.jpeg.ac72200e151f1a1c770bfbbeb0603c88.jpeg

Strict and strong ring by Matt

B5B080A9-A58E-4785-854C-18A3C21987D0.thumb.jpeg.a57db32a4e3e2508c7e95c7dd3df6ab7.jpeg

I am still not sure what this event was called.

20E158FC-2B2E-4ED5-8AA9-42C233090B6C.thumb.jpeg.e8da6df5c77fe21b2c5b7a4f291b73b5.jpeg664AB843-12D6-4285-98E3-44E6558D78E0.thumb.jpeg.d955273c2c5f5fb8bd6835c05209919d.jpeg

This last pic is of Tom and myself with a bar I had brought for him to bend given to me by Brent. Tom made quick work of this and many bars on this day.

B62DFB00-7807-4781-AB06-3E498EABF06B.thumb.jpeg.18e527aa3b0216623332915dbfc16786.jpeg

ADCB0DB3-9301-461D-A093-F9FDDA55E056.jpeg

• Like 5

664AB843-12D6-4285-98E3-44E6558D78E0.thumb.jpeg.d955273c2c5f5fb8bd6835c05209919d.jpeg

That is “The Saint Paddy’s Pinch”; which is a Jefferson lift done with two Flasks attached to the barbell

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 3

Wish I was there in time for the Mick Pick :( 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, temmmeeee said:

Wish I was there in time for the Mick Pick :( 

I thought that was actually a fun and challenging event. You had to control it as well as be strong enough to lift it.

• Like 1

So I would like to do a series of grip equipment review videos. Since I am not an elite grip athlete and no one is going to learn anything about grip by watching me lift, this might be my best way to share some grip enthusiasm with people who maybe looking for it.

Here is a first attempt utilizing Mr. Juncker’s Blob and Blockweight trainers.

I quickly realized I don’t know how to make equipment review videos. So please help me out. What do you think is required or makes a good review video?

training update: I am still trying to train but limited by nagging physical setbacks. I haven’t done anything that would be worth logging or would look like structured training. I hope to get back together someday.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

So I would like to do a series of grip equipment review videos. Since I am not an elite grip athlete and no one is going to learn anything about grip by watching me lift, this might be my best way to share some grip enthusiasm with people who maybe looking for it.

Here is a first attempt utilizing Mr. Juncker’s Blob and Blockweight trainers.

I quickly realized I don’t know how to make equipment review videos. So please help me out. What do you think is required or makes a good review video?

training update: I am still trying to train but limited by nagging physical setbacks. I haven’t done anything that would be worth logging or would look like structured training. I hope to get back together someday.

Thanks for the plug.

Both options are available now in all four of the Spring Color options: Gray, Mill Scale, Battleship, and Gunmetal.  

As far a YT Videos. I shoot everything with a Canon Rebel in 2560 X 1440 and edit with Kinemaster which is an android app.  Kinemaster is a pretty good value and you can get a year subscription for about $40.00.  

The thing about YT (especially with channels that have lower numbers of subscribers and viewers) is that they dial down the video quality and size.  Their newest format (VP9) is actually a smaller file size and better quality, but you can't get it without having a certain number of subscribers because the upload times take FOREVER. I just upload in the highest quality I can because I know I'm going to lose some after YT processes it.  Your audio sounds good and is very clear.  I always think my audio sounds bad.  

For arc shots I use a Neutral density filter on the camera and play with the settings.  I still can't get a great arc shots because the bright arc compared to the dim area surrounding it messes with the camera's brain.  The guys that know how to do it right won't really share either.  

I will probably make more videos one day.  Just need to think of something to make.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

I will probably make more videos one day.  Just need to think of something to make.  

“Wut? I gotta get me something in the Battleship Spring color!”

Thank you for the informative reply.

And to your above statement, one of my biggest legit fears is that I will die before I get to realize all my ideas.

• Like 2

“Do your work. Not just your work, do a little more, but that little is worth more than all the rest. And if you suffer, as you must, and if you doubt, as you must, do your work. Put your heart into it, and the sky will clear. Then out of your doubt and suffering will be born the supreme joy of life.” - Dean Briggs

• Like 2

“Do your work. Not just your work, do a little more, but that little is worth more than all the rest. And if you suffer, as you must, and if you doubt, as you must, do your work. Put your heart into it, and the sky will clear. Then out of your doubt and suffering will be born the supreme joy of life.” - Dean Briggs

Obsession leads to greatness.  - MahaRIndo

• Like 1

Well... 

re-injury in a similar way. Awesome!

The plan moving forward will be to feel out what I can do while trying to re-rehab.

I reread through parts of my log the other day. It was interesting. At another point in my log I included jokes because my updates seemed depressing. With all the current setbacks, this might be a good policy to reinstate.

What did the blanket say as it fell off the bed?

“Oh sheet!”

With the current reinjury I plan to spend every day as if it’s my last.

Laying in bed and calling for a nurse to bring me more pudding.

Imagine if Americans switched from pounds to kilograms overnight.

There would be mass confusion!

Ta-da!

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Josh. I enjoy everything you post here be it, jokes, reviews, projects or dodging spiders. Let me know if I can help with any ideas to work around your injury. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All week

rehab exercising and rest

Sunday

tore a few decks of cards

made a scroll for a project

a few plate pinches7A5D5110-3378-464D-8BFD-9FE51059BC54.thumb.jpeg.d6f98001ed4fc77ffafdd1ad0b7a4aa3.jpeg

What is green & sits in the corner crying?

The incredible Sulk

• Like 2

No new training updates. I am just doing what I can at the moment.

This morning, though,   I am doing the good work.

AF1D5556-C6C1-44EF-AEDC-7A11DE73237A.thumb.jpeg.5a133a2765aedd895c44f77344016547.jpeg

• Like 3

Haters needed

Jekyll/Hyde work, Dovetail Pinch, and Anvil Trainer 

Reddit Grip challenge attempt

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...