Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

Amazing how much detail went into those awards.   I wish they were left on display for full inspection.  I will not pick a favorite as they are all incredible, but I have to say seeing that third place "Gripper award" in person was not just impressive, but totally bada$$.

Edited by richcottrell
  • Like 1

The trophies looked amazing bud. Great job on them. 

• Like 1

Intermission

Back home and in the gym

I struggled to focus at all because I also have quite a few projects lined up as well.

I hit some light TTK to find out that my thumb got worse after taking a week off.

3 sets of 5 25's plate pinch, 25 hub lift - barely. I am terrible at hub.

BSS mini hub up to 30 with "bad" hand

I am hoping to compete in a contest that has a hub( I left my IM hub at Nate's), a gold bar(never touched one) and crusher/silver bullet(looks at hurt hand). This should be good. Smh.

SJ4 - Contest day

I knew going into the contest that I would not be competitive. I was having issues with both hands and had stopped grip training because of it. I had tested the events a few days before to see how much I could get away with and it wasn't good.  I was here to meet everyone and be a part of something great. I have to believe that someday I will show up for a contest, any contest in any sport, ready and the sun will shine down on me.

Walking into the hotel, I was all excitement. There were so many people to meet. I walked into the room and found a place to put my things and eventually got in the line to weigh in. When I stepped on the scale it read 232+. This is probably my second biggest contest regret. Not because the pizza and beer, nor the fact that I might have been more competitive in a lower weight class(i would not), but because it was SJ4, the biggest grip comp I had ever been to, and I should have stripped down to a fig leaf in a hotel room full of people half of which I had never met to make weight. I should have went all in. Instead I told Nate "That's fine" and gathered my t-shirt from Delmar. 

I am not going to try to recount all the events of this day.

There is just too much.

I cannot even separate what would be considered highlights. The whole time was amazing. But just a few teasers...

I was indescribably pumped to be there for KRC's rednail. I followed his bending for a time and still check in on his log. 

Talking with Rob M. about fishing and forgetting I was at a contest.

Dan F's infectious enthusiasm.

Helping Chris R. carry his phone books.

As others have mentioned, Chez's epic sweating.

You should have been there. No, really. YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE!!!

There is no way I could name names or tell everyone how nice it was to meet them or see them again. At some point late at night I said good bye to Nate and everyone else who was still there and we headed back to the hotel. If I would have gone to the brunch the following morning I may have never left Jersey. So in the morning I packed the van and drove west.

I would like to apologize. I was helping judge platform 3 of the crusher event and I gave a "no lift" call on an athlete, I believe Steve N. when he was repositioning the weight. While I quickly recanted and he was able to make his attempt, I can't help but feel that I may have disrupted his focus. For my error, I am sorry.

SJ4 was amazing. Thank you to Nate for inviting me and putting up with my nonsense.

• Like 3

Wish you could have stayed longer sir.  Great to have you there.  Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1

Training as best I can.

Light crusher work 105 5x5

Sledge rotations, levers, ginger walks.

My neighbor stopped me while I was Training to tell me all about planet fitness, what a great deal it is and that I should think about joining. Realising that he was not leaving until I conceded, I said I would look into it and then went back to my superset of axle clean and push press and sledgehammer face levers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, JHenze646 said:

Training as best I can.

Light crusher work 105 5x5

Sledge rotations, levers, ginger walks.

My neighbor stopped me while I was Training to tell me all about planet fitness, what a great deal it is and that I should think about joining. Realising that he was not leaving until I conceded, I said I would look into it and then went back to my superset of axle clean and push press and sledgehammer face levers.

Sounds like you should have levered a sledgehammer to his face.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Jörg Keilbach said:

And miss the lift!😂

That's what we call "heavy negatives" :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

planet fitness, what a great deal it is and that I should think about joining

At least they won't judge you for face levering and axle pressing....  a judgement free zone is always judgement free after all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

ginger walks.

Id be upset by this, but gingers have no souls therefore have no civil rights.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, KapMan said:

Id be upset by this, but gingers have no souls therefore have no civil rights.

I saw that autocorrect and was like, "That's perfect; I'm not fixing it."

Spicy!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JHenze646 said:

I saw that autocorrect and was like, "That's perfect; I'm not fixing it."

Spicy!

Haha

blobs and blockweights

Many minutes spent squeezing, muttering softly, and staring at Blobzilla.

More wrist work and pull upS on the balls.

0725172016.jpg

0801171958.jpg

0729171150.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

What happened to This Week in Grip?

tyrone-biggums-fictional-characters-photo-u1.jpg

Just recorded it, should be out soon.  We'll be back on our regular schedule starting this week.  A little air under one of those Blobzillas would give us a more content!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Allen Heineck said:

Just recorded it, should be out soon.  We'll be back on our regular schedule starting this week.  A little air under one of those Blobzillas would give us a more content!

Sweet! I usually listen on Tuesdays while in the gym.

I may get some air under those Blobzillas by your 400th episode. Ha.

Just some finger walks and a regular lifting.

Made a full ring out of a 5/8 x58 bar but had to use my foot to bring it from fish to 0°. I am gonna make a ring handle out of it and donate it to my highland games group.

There is a lot going on lately. I spend most of my time bouncing back and forth but not getting much done. My garage is both gym and workshop. Currently I am trying to organize and I am building boxes to house smaller materials. Wood however is my nemesis. And the boxes are quite hideous. So in between sets there was wood putty, screw driving, and sanding.

Plate pinches and holds - these weren't good but there wast any pain in my thumb. Score!

Wrist work - pro/sup, front/back levers, rev/curls

So a Juncker Pinch-wrench arrived in the mail on Friday. I opened it quickly and started starring it down. The design is quite simple a section of rectangular tube capped off on either end with a bit of sheet stock leaving a slot along one side open from the corner to about the middle. Through this slot runs a section of round bar with washers tacked onto it. There is just enough clearance between the washers and the pinch-wrench surface to allow good movement but not too much causing lateral shifting. The round bar continues to round out the frame and nests inside a collar designed to fit over the top of a loading pin. The pin hole in the collar is located toward the top. Overall the shape of the device is clean and well thought out.

The things i really like is the way the round bar nests into the collar and the tall collar with the pin hole toward the top. These features give a very clean base and a very solid connection. There is almost no "slop" at the connection. The slot seem a bit too far toward center in my long fingered hands but that is just me.

In use the ability to really wrench on your pinch attempts is quite nice. Turning the device around lets you emphasize the fingers or the thumb in the lift. If you have ever tilted a euro to pinch the weight up, the Juncker Pinch-wrench gives the exact same feel. Lifting in the more goose neck pinch position, the device is very challenging. If you lose your wrist position even the slightest bit, the round bar races down the slot away from your hand and with all but the lightest weights, liberates the device from your grasp.

I could definitely see this device benefiting pinch and wrist training. A non-collared version also might be helpful to arm wrestlers working on a table.

That is all for now, back to testing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1