Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

Another fun Sun... Saturday

Deads & Push press - both went awful. I had to get throwing practice in for the games next week and had to cram it into one day. I threw, took a break for lunch, and then hit the gym.

Cowbell 160 5x3

Several double 35 hub attempts the left hand pinkie wont cooperate.

Yoke

Bomb 45 3x3, 3 twelve inch spikes

Stones, club swinging, sprints. Happy holiday!

Now the madness begins...

Field day

Threw at the Reynoldsburg games. There were many amateur B competitors so I asked to throw with the A group along with several of my friends who had done the same to balance out the classes. It was sunny and 50 degrees F and a perfect day to be in the field. I was tired and burn out from traveling and threw accordingly. Someday...

It was a great day with good people. I can't wait to do it again.

Wasting time and money Sunday

Since training was nonexistant last week and there won't be any real training next week. I just messed around with a bunch of stuff.

SSB box squats 225 6x2 these were slow and hard(didn't I do this weight for sets of ten a few weeks ago!?!)

Grprs 25mm block sets L 136x 0,1,0 R 136x1,1,1 , both 80 3x 10 count holds

Plate setup 2hp upto 190x0,0,0 180x1,1 wow...

Deads, farmers, clubbell swings (new 10s), sprints, and catalog tears and a phone book

One more training day til NY GTD3. Should be fun.

Since training was nonexistant last week and there won't be any real training next week. I just messed around with a bunch of stuff.

SSB box squats 225 6x2 these were slow and hard(didn't I do this weight for sets of ten a few weeks ago!?!)

Deads, farmers, clubbell swings (new 10s), sprints, and catalog tears and a phone book

Hey man,

How did you work up to being able to tear a phone book? And where do you get phone books nowadays? lol

• Like 1

Hey man,

How did you work up to being able to tear a phone book? And where do you get phone books nowadays? lol

Phone Book tearing is ALL technique brother.

Hey man,

I live in Pennsyltucky. People 'round here still got rotary phones in there houses.

Seriously though, the company I work for was throwing out their old product catalogs, I asked if I could have them and they let me take all that I had room for at the time.

After that I started contacting other companies and asking for their product catalogs. They deliver tearing materials right to your doorstep for free!

The phonebooks are harder to come by. I only get one a year so I ask family, friends, and coworkers for theirs. This has been kind of successful. Although some of my coworkers have only parted with their phonebook if they can watch me tear it.

There is alot of technique to tearing phonebooks skillfully. And I am sure Jedd's dvd is top notch because I have the braced bending one(awesome). However, I like to go with the grip and struggle technique because it just something I do, from time to time.

My phonebook collection is kind of sad. I only have two waste high stacks. I have seen some peoples collections that could have gotten them on that hoarders TV show.

If you want I can throw some in the car for you when I drive up for the contest.

Thanks for checking out my log by the way.

• Like 1

Hey man,

I live in Pennsyltucky. People 'round here still got rotary phones in there houses.

Seriously though, the company I work for was throwing out their old product catalogs, I asked if I could have them and they let me take all that I had room for at the time.

After that I started contacting other companies and asking for their product catalogs. They deliver tearing materials right to your doorstep for free!

The phonebooks are harder to come by. I only get one a year so I ask family, friends, and coworkers for theirs. This has been kind of successful. Although some of my coworkers have only parted with their phonebook if they can watch me tear it.

There is alot of technique to tearing phonebooks skillfully. And I am sure Jedd's dvd is top notch because I have the braced bending one(awesome). However, I like to go with the grip and struggle technique because it just something I do, from time to time.

My phonebook collection is kind of sad. I only have two waste high stacks. I have seen some peoples collections that could have gotten them on that hoarders TV show.

If you want I can throw some in the car for you when I drive up for the contest.

Thanks for checking out my log by the way.

Hey man, thanks for the reply! I really appreciate the offer, but no need. We get office supply catalogs at the office and I usually put them aside for tearing purposes lol. The pages are of course thicker than phone books, but I make due. Looking forward to seeing you Saturday. I do read your log regularly, but just never post. Good luck man!

if there's a local university or hospital that might be a good source as well. university books are nice bc they're small and good to start with. have friends and family keep the eyes open. recycling bins...my wife loves that one.

• Like 2

if there's a local university or hospital that might be a good source as well. university books are nice bc they're small and good to start with. have friends and family keep the eyes open. recycling bins...my wife loves that one.

Technically when the phonebooks get delivered to the home's doorsteps, one could travel around the neighborhood collecting the ones from vacant houses and other easy pickings. Not that I have ever done that.

An anxious Tuesday

Strict press & pull ups

Vulcan 25mm block setting practice for a few sets

Finger extentions with rubberband 3x30

Bp & Inv. row

Ttk up to 12.5 x8

Shrugs, dips, & curls

Sledgehammer work - a bunch of different stuff

I took a 6 ft length of 1/8 x 1/2 and mangled it into something resembling a cross. Thanks to Nick R. for the idea.

I am really looking forward to the trip to Carmel, NY to see friends old and new. Onward.

NY Grip Throwdown

I was worried about losing bodyweight and showing up weak and depleted for this comp. I weighed myself on Wed. morning at 206.4 lbs. My wife and I drove to CT that day to do some sightseeing and enjoy a few days away before the comp.

On the morning of the comp, I arrived early to help set up but apparently so did everyone else. I weighed in at 213+! (How did I gain 7 lbs in 3 days?!?)

First event was 20mm block set grippers. I have never done grippers in a comp before, which several people couldn't believe, so all attempts were PR's. I went 136+, 144(pr), 153(pr & one of the goals for this comp), 158 x miss. I asked Luke R. to get video of the 153 attempt for me. In fairness I didn't let him know my tablet has a delay for video or that I would edit out whatever later. He shot the best 3 second video of Chez's "good" call and me setting the gripper back down ever. I laugh everytime I watch it. Below is the video of my 158 miss.

Block set gripper: https://youtu.be/XvWYXpYQouk

• Like 2

2hp was next. There was a large flight of competitors at 52mm and the waiting game began. Just after a short break for lunch, myself and three other competitors started warming up on 54mm. My opener was 198ish and was my only successful lift. I was lifting by myself at this point and felt rushed/like I was holding everyone up. I took a warm up with 203 and then missed 208 because of a stupid technique mistake on my part. I didn't drive all this way to pull 208 and I asked for 213. I missed it twice, breaking it from the floor both times but not able to maintain position for a successful lift. I chose my attempt because 210+ is a qualifying lift for NAGSC and I am not yet qualified. In hindsight, I should have pulled at a different width to pull amongst other competitors.

Axle

My attempts went 315, 326(misloaded 328), 345, and a miss of 350 at my knees. During my 328 attempt, several competitors were leaving which resulted in the head judge fist bumping/shaking hands and not paying attention to my attempt. I asked if I could have a down command while holding the lockout. Hilarious.

• Like 1

Sorry for all the posts. I was packing and traveling and writing when I could today.

If you have a chance to compete in the New York/New Jersey/W.PA area, GO. They are an amazing group of athletes and really great people. Thank you Chez and Andrew for a great contest. It was awesome getting to meet and lift with everyone. I hope to have a chance to compete or train with everyone again.

As for my overall perfomance at this comp, I am not satisfied. While it is nice that this is my base level for axle, it has been here for far too long. My 2hp competition performances are shameful. I need to get some intelligent, consistent training and nutrition and find a good balance between my pursuits. Onward.

During my 328 attempt, several competitors were leaving which resulted in the head judge fist bumping/shaking hands and not paying attention to my attempt. I asked if I could have a down command while holding the lockout. Hilarious.

Sorry about that dude. So much going on that day. You were very funny about it though.

• Like 1

Haha! That was me (the hoarders reference) until about 18 months ago when I cleaned out the garage. I had a friend that had connections with a recycling center and he gave me several hundred local phonebooks. I tore a bunch of them and still had stacks of them in the garage a few years after getting them. Even after all I tore, I would guess if I put them all in a single stack the pile would've been 10 feet tall. Tearing that much must've been the reason why to this day I can still tear any deck of cards I'm given by coworkers or friends. I used to tear dozens of decks a month (2000 to 2002-ish) so I guess it's not that surprising that a good portion of that strength remains. Every few months someone will ask me to tear a deck of cards for them. Usually a coworker. Last week it was a couple that my wife and I were visiting. Our 2-year olds were having a get together that involved the parents and food. One of our friends "discovered" my training blog and had been browsing through and saw that at one time I was tearing phonebooks and bending a bunch of wrenches (and breaking bats, rolling up frying pans, etc.). She was most interested in seeing a deck of cards get torn. We live a few blocks apart, so I said "what the hell" and drove home to find a deck of cards. Which is kind of funny, since neither my wife or I even play cards. It is just one of many decks that someone had given me at one point or another, that remained untorn - due to other decks getting the "treatment" before it, lol. Anyway, I tore a deck for them and then they found a deck at their house and wanted to see it get torn as well. It was quite entertaining for them. And to be honest, I still enjoy being able to do it. It is a heck of a party trick. Although for me, there is no trick to it. I slow it down quite a bit so that it doesn't look fake. I think this comment about slowing it down (the speed of the tear) will make sense to anyone who is pretty good at tearing decks of cards. Slowing it down makes it harder. But there aren't cries of "what's the trick?" after I tear a deck a bit slower than what I'm capable of. I'm not talking about a 30-second tear, of course. More like 3 to 5 seconds.

My first wife and I are still friends. She was teasing me the other day that she remembers when I was buying 75 decks of cards a month. Even though I tried to pick up the torn bits of cards, it was impossible to find every single little bit. So over time, we would find bits of cards in strange and comical locations. When I was at my most "hoarder-ish" with tearing cards, I had so many decks that I couldn't fit them all in a normal-sized suitcase when we were moving out of our duplex. So the reasonable answer was to tear a bunch of them. Not throw them out. :grin:

• Like 1

Josh, congrats on your overall performance at the contest! Especially the gripper event! That is a very solid close with a 20mm block set. And you said it was your first time doing grippers in a contest. I envy your pinch - even though you're extremely disappointed with it. Mine never went anywhere. When I did 300lbs+ in a 2011 grip contest on the 2" vbar - my 2HP was 171. And that was a contest PR for me at the time. The two events are not necessarily related. But it is the most ridiculous disparity between 2" vbar and 2HP that I've ever seen. I can't think of any other 300lb+ 2" vbar puller that has NOT pulled at bare minimum 200 on 2HP. Or probably closer to 220. Heck, I've TNS closed grippers that were a bit above my contest 2HP PR. So I guess what I'm saying is your 198lb 2HP is nothing to sneeze at! Although I "get" that you want to improve and rock the hell out of all your numbers. :zorro:

• Like 1

Thank you, Ben. Do you have video of any card tears? I can't tear cards all that well.

I hoard bits of scrap metal to make grip implements and other things. They are everywhere, work and home.

• Like 1

During my 328 attempt, several competitors were leaving which resulted in the head judge fist bumping/shaking hands and not paying attention to my attempt. I asked if I could have a down command while holding the lockout. Hilarious.

Sorry about that dude. So much going on that day. You were very funny about it though.

No worries at all, Chez.

I should've had Luke get video of that attempt. - tasteless joke

• Like 1

Josh - great numbers overall. Congratulations on a very impressive performance!

• Like 1

Thank you, Ben. Do you have video of any card tears? I can't tear cards all that well.

I hoard bits of scrap metal to make grip implements and other things. They are everywhere, work and home.

I'll put a video up if you want to see it. There are others that are much better at it. Especially since I don't train it anymore. But like I mentioned, it is a pretty neat type of strength that really stays with you for a long time after you stop training it - assuming you are doing just a basic strength training routine a few times a week.

Great meeting you this weekend, dude. You're hella strong with the muscle mass to match. It was hilarious seeing you casually holding 300+ on the axle as if you were waiting for the street light to change colors LOL. And thank you again for the metrocard!

I'll put a video up if you want to see it. There are others that are much better at it. Especially since I don't train it anymore. But like I mentioned, it is a pretty neat type of strength that really stays with you for a long time after you stop training it - assuming you are doing just a basic strength training routine a few times a week.

I figured I would ask in case you already had a video. If you have done for that long at that level, there has to be a level of mastery you do it with. Mastery of any skill is always worth seeing.

Great meeting you this weekend, dude. You're hella strong with the muscle mass to match. It was hilarious seeing you casually holding 300+ on the axle as if you were waiting for the street light to change colors LOL. And thank you again for the metrocard!

Awesome to meet you as well. Thank you for the kind words someday I hope to be as strong as you and some of the other lightweight competitors.

Back at it Tuesday

Strict press, pullups, and finger ext.

BP and 1 arm row

W/ grprs mms L 110 5x1, R 136 5x1, 109 CCS 3X1 both

Db Bp and shrugs

W/ DO bend 60D x 10 - making fishhooks/ way off center

Situps, side bends, curls, rev. flye

Climber curl rev. 20 3x6, reg. 40 3x5

Played with the Dbbb(?) see video below.

Double barreled fun: https://youtu.be/VpL8xfawdb4

Brent is going to come over to my garage gym this weekend. I don't know if I can get video or even talk about the training we do as he prepares for NAGSC. I am looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Snow, squats, and thickbar Thursday

Box Squat 275 4x5, added belt x5

W/ finger curls 68x5, 78x5, 89x7

DOAD 250 3x5

Ghr 3x5

Inch trainer 135 L x1,1,0,0 Rx 1,0,1,0

W.wrench up to 70x1, 80x 0

Shallow hub up to 20x1, 17.5 3x1

Rev. Hyper 3x15

Onward.

Another fun Sunday

I don't have people stop over to lift too often so it was sweet that Brent could make it over. Unfortunately it was a rough start as soon as I put on my compression shorts, my leg felt funny. With the first warm up set of squats my left leg cramped so badly that it would take about an hour to start feeling better.

Light box squats 225 3x5

W/ grpr set practice Vulcan 10 singles

Deads

During squats and deads Brent was hitting gripper closes. He worked up to 171 R, during deadlifts. I am not sure what he hit off hand.

Axle clean and press

w/ 2HP euro I worked up to 200x1, 210x0 I broke it from the ground but I am still making technical mistakes.

2HP Training: https://youtu.be/BU0pRsg00a0

Brent hit 230x1, 240x0,? He took a second attempt at this weight while I was setting up other equipment (ninja attempt).

Cowbell 180 3 5-count holds

I set up a press medley for fun, axle, log, and keg(hearing protection required). The keg was my bent steel keg which is only 100 or so but it is LOUD. This proved to be our undoing as two runs through this had us both breathing hard.

FBBC DBBB we worked up in singles. Brent hit 90. I hopped 80. Then we repped 70.

FBBC DBBB: https://youtu.be/vYp-O4zrkEE

We hit a few long light runs on farmers and the worked up on farmers picks up to 250x1, 300x0

Brent called it a day at this point.

I hit a few light stone loads, club swings, sprints, and Ttk and then called it a day myself.