Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

Field day!

I got to spend a day in a snow covered field wearing a kilt throwing sticks, stones, and hunks of metal. It was a very good time. The last time I threw this games was the first time I ever threw so they were all Tundra games PR's yesterday. Also since it was the first time anyone ever threw at that field, I jested that we were setting field records with each throw. i was glad that Brent went with me. He said he hadn't thrown since 2009 or 2010 or 2011 or was it 2012(?) but he still had really good technique considering. On the way home we stopped at several fine establishments, I apparently got abducted, and I discovered that my dislike for cabbage is a sign of moral misleadings. I can't wait to do it again.

• Like 1

Another fun Sunday

Despite driving for 9 hours and throwing, my hips were in fairly good shape. They were sore but my warmups went fairly good.

Box Squat 290 5x5 w/ knee sleeves The fifth rep of each set was difficult but doable.

w/ finger curls 75x5, 85x3, 95x5

Yesterdays games did take a toll on my shoulders and pressing was laborious.

DOAD 290 x5,4,5 On the second set I set up funny and called it at four reps. For the third set I made the correct adjustments.

1HP work: 2x35 pinch 5 singles both hands

Shallow hub: worked up to 20# x1, 15# 4x1 I have been trying to strengthen the thumb & pinkie on my left hand. There are still a few feat lists I need to get my name on.

Shoes: DC1 this is where the fatigue & soreness in my shoulders really set in. I had to make an effort for this bend and should have stopped there.

SCF Lite 1 to 90 degrees. The shoe measured 8x18, the same as the PL1 I tried some time ago and only got to 50 degrees or so. I will say that is an improvement.

Moved back to the DC1 to attempt a heart and on the leg crush as I started to apply force, I felt something move in my leg. It didn't hurt. It was like when foam rolling a knot and it moves off the spot. It was enough to dissuade me from trying any further though.

12" spike bend after some time and very cautiously.

I finished up with some club swinging.

A Wet Wednesday

Box Squat 330 2x3 w/ belt & knee sleeves these were hard.

W/ grprs L up to 136x1, 110 5x1(conservative successful reps), R 136 5x1, then both GHP block set 110 4x1

SSB squats 225x6 w/ knee sleeves

I struggled with pressing and missed my top set only getting 4 reps and 10 on the back off. I am just a little beat up and tired.

DO bending 60D x2, 5/16 plated x2

Climber curl rev. 10 3x20, reg. 20 3x20

Good stuff Josh! Those PL1s are really tough shoes. They can vary a lot too ... Had a few that felt harder than the SSPs on the kink.

Good stuff Josh! Those PL1s are really tough shoes. They can vary a lot too ... Had a few that felt harder than the SSPs on the kink.

Thanks, Carl. I need to get some in between shoes and work up to the PL1's.

Another fun Sunday

Box Squat 295 5x5 w/ knee sleeves

w/ finger curls 66.5x5,77x5,87x6

It was sunny and 40+° F so I moved everything out of the gym, swept, and then reorganized everything back in. So there was lots of time in between sets.

Also because I wont be able to lift this week due to work...

Squat 300x1, add suit&belt 315x1,365x1,405x1x2,425x1

The suit was pulling me weird but these were fairly easy.

It took a cosiderable time to get everything organized so I skipped any planned grip work.

Shoes - DC00 to 180, Sx7(2) to heart

6 mailorder catalog tears

post-23285-0-72065800-1425858614_thumb.jpost-23285-0-33058900-1425858640_thumb.j

Box squat 300 x4,4x3 - these were supposed to be sets of 5

W/ finger curls 72x3, 82x3, 92x5

Cowbell 150 3x3, 180 2x1- my pinch was just bad today.

Inch trainer 130 5x1

Dc1 to 180

Do bending 60Dx2, Fbbc1/4 sqr

I have been away from home for work for the last 5 days. Airplane rides screw with me big time. My joints hurt and I get burned out super quick. Add to that that I must eat gluten free and traveling ends up a disaster. Hopefully it gets better from here on out.

• Like 1

Switched back to my warm weather programming. Tues/Thurs/Sun.

Hopefully the weather starts to cooperate and I get to spend more time outside.

Tonight is upper body, pressing and rowing. I am moving grprs, unbraced bending, and wrist work to this day.

Grprs L 110x2,136x0,0, 110x1,0

R 110x2,136x1,1,1,0, 110x1

25mm block set 109 3(5x1)

I could still tell that I am fried/drained from life and travel. I only lost 4 lbs. on this past trip so that should be easier to make up.

DO bending 60Dx2, 1/4sqr(FBBC), Bastard in doubles. This is the first time I have ever bent something unbraced in doubles(PR!?!) I attempted it first in Imps but my hands weren't capable, if that makes sense.

Bastard round 1:

Climber curl reg. 20 3x15, rev. 10 3x10

Thanks for checking out my log.

• Like 1

I thought I would include some details on my programming. There are lots of smart and strong people here and I would welcome any input.

Tues. is an upper body day.

Shoulder press 5x5 adding 5# each week reseting as necessary. Pullups 5 sets. Bp 3 week rotations 3x5/5x3/5x1. One arm rows 5 sets. Db bp/incline cg/skulls 3sets switching exercises every few weeks. shrugs&rear fly 3sets. Also grippers, DO bending, and wrist work. Some kind of trunk work.

Thurs. Squat 5x5 or 5/3/1 rm alternating every week. Right now box squats.

Squat variation & deadlift variation 3 sets.

Possible additions. Curls!

Some trunk work.

Sunday. Deadlift & push press(log or axle) working up to 5/3/1 rm with dropback sets. Changing variations as necessary.

Fun stuff! Stones, farmers, yoke, sled, etc.. Finger curls and gripwork. Braced bending & shoes. Trunk work.

Thanks for any comments and advice. It may not seem it but I am listening.

Tonight.

Box squat 335 2x3 -max effort on 3rd.

SSB squat 165 3x10 - these were hard, a definite weakness

DOAD 300x2/1,1 280x2,3

Ghr 3x5 sidebends bar, 95, 115 2x10

The axle work was disappointing. I will have to reasses and ramp up for NY.

Nice work Josh!! Just need to give your hands time to get conditioned to the IMP's. I was able to bend a big shiny in leather befor I could do a red in IMP's. Just a matter of the index fingers getting used to that pressure for me and I suck at 7" length as well.

Switched back to my warm weather programming. Tues/Thurs/Sun.

Hopefully the weather starts to cooperate and I get to spend more time outside.

Tonight is upper body, pressing and rowing. I am moving grprs, unbraced bending, and wrist work to this day.

Grprs L 110x2,136x0,0, 110x1,0

R 110x2,136x1,1,1,0, 110x1

25mm block set 109 3(5x1)

I could still tell that I am fried/drained from life and travel. I only lost 4 lbs. on this past trip so that should be easier to make up.

DO bending 60Dx2, 1/4sqr(FBBC), Bastard in doubles. This is the first time I have ever bent something unbraced in doubles(PR!?!) I attempted it first in Imps but my hands weren't capable, if that makes sense.

Bastard round 1: http://youtu.be/S41O226xjn8

Climber curl reg. 20 3x15, rev. 10 3x10

Thanks for checking out my log.

Field day!

I got to spend a day in a snow covered field wearing a kilt throwing sticks, stones, and hunks of metal. It was a very good time. The last time I threw this games was the first time I ever threw so they were all Tundra games PR's yesterday. Also since it was the first time anyone ever threw at that field, I jested that we were setting field records with each throw. i was glad that Brent went with me. He said he hadn't thrown since 2009 or 2010 or 2011 or was it 2012(?) but he still had really good technique considering. On the way home we stopped at several fine establishments, I apparently got abducted, and I discovered that my dislike for cabbage is a sign of moral misleadings. I can't wait to do it again.

Very cool! Highland Games are so much fun. Did they enter your performances in the database on NASGA yet? That snow-covered field sounds good to me! I prefer the cold weather to the hot.

Thanks, Nick. I do all my unbraced bending in IMPs, aside from wrenches, but my hands would not cooperate this time and I couldn't keep a tight grip. Strength is my limiting factor.

Field day!

Very cool! Highland Games are so much fun. Did they enter your performances in the database on NASGA yet? That snow-covered field sounds good to me! I prefer the cold weather to the hot.

Thankfully it appears that all they submitted was the master's class. My throwing is shameful but I enjoy throwing things. I threw a games last year that was 50 degrees F and overcast(perfect). I prefer that to the 2 degrees and 10 inches of snow we had on this day.

Another Fun Sunday

Deadlifts and push presses - on my top set of deadlifts I had to switch to a mixed grip to get my last rep.

Finger curls 77x5,87x3,97x6 I paired these with yoke carries.

Cowbell - worked up to 170 2x1 then 135 3x3 5count holds

holds paired with light hand over hand sled pulls. I knew these weren't going to be fantastic today. Yesterday while grilling chicken I tore 3 decks of cheap cards but strained my fingers a little.

Hit stone loads 190 5x1

Wrist wrench counterfeit- worked up to 70x1, then 50 3x5 mini curls

Blocks up to 46# york L 3x1 R 3 cheated lifts

Bending DC00 to 180, 8 inch wrench

Finished with club swinging.post-23285-0-69114900-1427075600_thumb.j

How have the finger curls been working?

Edited by Tom Scibelli

You wouldn't know it from my gripper performances as of late but there seems to be some improvements. I notice it in the inch trainer work the most.

Thanks for checking out my log, Tom.

Congrats on your recent meet. Your squat seems unstoppable.

• Like 1

You wouldn't know it from my gripper performances as of late but there seems to be some improvements. I notice it in the inch trainer work the most.

Thanks for checking out my log, Tom.

Congrats on your recent meet. Your squat seems unstoppable.

Thanks Josh, my squat was almost stopped on my last attempt lol.

That's good to know that it's carrying over to the inch trainer, I'll be following along closely.

Grprs MMS L 110 4x1, 136x1 R 136 4x1, 143x1, then 110 25mm 3(2x1)

DO bending 60Dx2, 1/4sqr, Bastard x wobble, then doubles to move it 5° to finish, 1/4sqr

Sledge work 3x15 pro/sup front/rear

post-23285-0-83494000-1427250025_thumb.j

Still moving things around Thursday

Box Squats 300 3x5, add belt 2x5

W/ finger curls 68 3x5

DOAD 250 5X5

homemade RT up to 160 R 2x1 L 2 attempts(no lockout)

I was very sore from the workout on Thursday. My wife wanted to meet her brand new cousin so we got in the car and drove over. The 10+ hours of driving were not kind to me as was the disruption to life, sleep, food, activity, etc.

Deads & Push press

Cowbell 150 5x3, 5x 5count holds

Inv. Db 45 x 2 rushes

Farmers

IM hub up to 40x1, 45xR, 40x1 with some hops&hovers with 40+

Shoes - Dc1x2,Dc00

Club swinging, stones, and sprints.

Tuesday confusion

Strict press & pipe pull ups

Grprs L 136x 1,0,1,0,1,1 R 143 x 5 singles, then 109 25mm block set 2(7x1) my set is off on both sides. I will throw a little extra set work in on Saturday.

Bp & Db rows

DO bending 60Dx2, 1/4sqr x attempt - I couldnt even get the steel in position. It was like I had never bent before. Hmmm...

DB Bp & shrugs

Since I just recieved them I decided to attempt a bend on a Nordic D-Lux 2. Easy. (Onward!)

Rear fly & sit ups

Climber curl rev 10 3x20 reg 20 3x20

post-23285-0-55789100-1427859957_thumb.j

Too much Thursday

Box Sq 340 2x3, SSB 165 3x10

Finger curls 68x5, 78x5, 89x8

DOAD 270 5x3

DC1, SCF Lite Plain 3 x attempt - I got a pull/cramp on the kink and fought it anyway. I got into bad positions and stopped to re-chalk. The shoe never moved again. I shouldn't have tried this tonight, being the third day bending shoes this week. It was a toss up between waiting to be fresher and going for it while I was in the groove. It was just a little too much.

I have a forced deload coming up. We will see how this plays out.

Thanks for reading my log.

what stance are you using w the ssb? your normal squat stance,which seems to have widened, or a narrow more front squaty stance?

• Like 1

Hey Brent. For SSB squats, I use a mid width stance, but not as wide as the box squats. These are free squats, not to a box and I usually do them to or below depth. For whatever reason these are super hard, all in the hips and upper back.