Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

I just saw your axle lift at Gripmas Josh. That is a very good lift dude. Was that a PR? I know you weren't happy with your pinch but the axle was strong. The medley looked super tough also.

• Like 1

It is a contest PR as I haven't done axle in a contest before. I was only able to train axle three times leading into Gripmas. All factors considered, I cant complain. I have to prepare better next time.

I just saw your axle lift at Gripmas Josh.

On Monday my hands felt like a sack of quarters, the bones like loose coins flipping & clanging into each other only slightly held together.

I had to unpack a a crate of steel plates, pipes, and flat bars at work...

I haven't done any hard grip work the last few workouts. I have done some finger walks, light plate pinches/holds, and have messed around with my new climber curl trying to find the correct adjustments.

Squats today 315 x 4, 1 - I racked the weight to raise the safety pins.

Finger curls 75 3 x 5 and then some bending. I dont really have working stock so I bent some odd pieces I had attempted before.

Grade 2 Do:

your squats are all over the place. didn't you almost die getting 205 for 5 just 2 weeks ago?

your squats are all over the place.

Yep, every time is like the first time. I actually like to squat, too. I wish I knew how to fix it.

I wanted to get a lot of work in today.

Squats 245 5 x 5

with Grippers L Ghp6 x 0,0 coc3 x 1,1,0 Ghp6 x 1

R Ghp6 x 2, Coc3(143),GM,Ghp7,Coc3(153)x 1

Left arm problems continue, all Mms including 153- PR

Climber style 2HP 140 6 x 2

DOAD 265 4 x 5, x 4

Last hub standing 2.5 lb. jumps all singles

Shallow up to 20, IM up to 42.5, Sorinex up to 55

Inch trainer 120 3 singles

Hex 40 3 x 1-5 count holds

Polo1 to 160° I have forgotten how to bend shoes

8#shot rotations best attempt 3 Left, 2ish R post-23285-0-26366400-1418581924_thumb.j

12/16

I wanted to test out my 2HP. I worked up to 170 with two soft lifts. Then I did 140 4 x 1 paused off the floor.

TD finger walks 8# sledge x 4

12/17

Inch trainer 120 5(2x1)

Wrist wrench up to 70 x 5 count hold

DB rows 65 5 x 10 this doesn't normally count in grip work but the plate loadable dumbbell handles I have dont hold very many 10 lb. plates. I switched to a 1.9 OD pipe for these and felt a good deal in my fingers after the Inch trainer.

Climber curl rev. 10 3 x 20, reg. 20 3 x 20

The skin on my thumbs is sore. It might take a little time to get used to the extra work.

did you get a full on 2hp or is that the climber pinch type device you made? and 170 was your max?? am i reading that right?

The 2Hp is the loading pin setup I made and 170 was all I could pull. When I had tried the climber pinch at Mr. Rice's gym, I believe the most I lifted was 185ish. This is not that dissimilar.

The 2Hp is the loading pin setup I made and 170 was all I could pull. When I had tried the climber pinch at Mr. Rice's gym, I believe the most I lifted was 185ish. This is not that dissimilar.

The climber pinch is harder than the Euro - even if the fixed width suits you. But it doesn't cut your skin so it's a great tool to train with - and it can be made whatever width you want without much trouble.

I wanted to transition squatting on a high note, but it was not to be.

Squats 320 x 3 - This was supposed to be five and I could have tried one more as an ugly grinder or a possible fail, but I decided not.

Then Squat 245 2 x 3 w/ belt

I will drop this back the top set to 285 and try to climb again & hopefully transitions to 3's before the wheels come off.

w/ Grippers L- GHP6,Coc3(143) x 0, Then GHP6 5x1 I made a sensible choice here and got some work in.

R - GM, GHP7 x 0, 1, COC3(153), Then Elite(159) x 0 - not sensible...

Presses went better than squatting and ended with a difficult set of 5. Now onto 3's.

Deads went ok, except for the fact that I had to switch my hands to a mixed grip for the 5th rep. (Don't judge me)

DO bending, all in IMPs 60D x 2, 1/4 sqr, O-1 L, 5/16 plated, Rednail

I probably shouldn't have attempted the rednail yet but I don't have much in the way of bending stock at a working level. I have been bending inbetween deadlift sets, which oddly works.

My hands have some residual fatigue from the extra work I have been putting them through but next week may be dicey for training time and they can recover then. Thank you for following along, reading my ramblings, and watching the videos. If you have any comments or advice, please share.

I thought that climber pinch and euro weights were much closer than that.

Brent - I am roughly 15# or so stronger on my Euro than the Climber Pinch. Climber is 50mm and I pinch on 52mm but I don't feel that is the difference. Its something about the weight distribution I think.

• Like 1

My work has been putting together "quirky" videos for their FB page. Here is the nonsense.

I hope you laugh at my misfortune.

Ha! That's great. What do you do for fein? I have a ton of their stuff. Very good stuff. I beat the hell out of tools at the shipyard so that says a lot.

• Like 1

Today squatting felt easy. I realize its less weight but it felt locked in and much faster.

Squat 250 5 x 5

W/ finger curls 65 5 x 10

The finger curls were tough and I could tell that I was under-recovered.

1 minute "grip rush" sets with 45blob & inv. 40 hex. My blockweight strength hasn't returned all the way yet and my left arm is still out to lunch or something.

DOAD 280 5 X 3 - went ok

Braced bending - I had a few Xmas gifts to knock out

6 In. wrench x 2, 8 In. wrench x 1 (PR)

post-23285-0-39269400-1419219813_thumb.j

8" Wrench PR = no joke bending - Great Stuff!

• Like 1

Thank you, gentlemen. I am fortunate to have many skilled athletes who are willing to take time with me and offer advice.

On Tuesday, worked on 2hp 150 5 x 2

8# sledge finger walks x 5

8# shot rotations 3 attempts.

Then Thursday,

Squat 285 x 5

w/ grippers L Coc2.5, Ghp6 x 1,0,1(got my head right), Coc3(143) x 1,1 R Coc3(143) 5 x 1

All deads pulled DO - redemption

DO bending - 60D x 2, O-1 J, 70D

Gr5 x 1 attempt reverse, 1 attempt DU

Thursday bending:

Brent asked me about bending Gr5 bolts and I said since I don't switch back & forth from 7 In. length, I was using the ones I had for reverse & DU.

He laughed at me...

For not being a style I train/good at, I am ok with these bends.

Thanks for checking it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Where did I leave off...

On the DU Gr5 attempt I did something to my left wrist. I had to drive for several hours the following day and it was irratated the entire time.

12/28

Squat 255 5 x 5 these moved well considering all the time spent in the car the day before.

w/ finger curls 65 5 x 10

DOAD 300 2 x 1 these weren't happening and I stopped here

My younger brother stopped over to use the gym and I did a little bending, a 12 In. spike, DC1, and hearted a second DC1.

12/30

2hp 160 10 x 1, 130 3 x 15 count holds

Sledge 8 finger walks 5 sets

The following day I started to get sick.

First workout of 2015.

1/9, it was 17 degrees F outside & the garage is about 5 degrees warmer.

My squats picked up where they left off - awful.

Squat- worked up to a difficult 260 x 5 w/ belt

W/ grippers L 110 x 0, 1, 136 x 0, 1, 0, 1

R 136 x 0, 1, 142 x 1, 1, 0, 1

109 3(5 x 1)

DO bend 60D x 2, 5/16 plated

2 x 45 hub lift x 2 attempts

post-23285-0-57090600-1420860825_thumb.j

Just seeing your Red bend from a few weeks back. Great job! Your kink looked really solid.

• Like 1

Your kink looked really solid.

Thanks. My kink isn't powerful or explosive or anything. I try to get it into position and then build pressure til it moves. The next time I see you we will have to talk about double underhand.