Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride

JHenze646

Today's high temperature 18 degrees.

My garage wouldn't be much warmer than that. I decided to lift in the "gym" at my office.

There are a few plate loaded hammer strength and other machines but not a power rack. They have a smith machine...

But its warm, there is a barbell, and lots of plates. Also I rigged a pair of 45's to work as a makeshift Europinch.

I worked some Highpulls* with 2HP doubles up to 160, then 170 8 x 1

The plates measured 61 mm. I thought that they were much wider. I "tore" my thumb on the fourth single. I am not getting cut or abraised, rather it pulls a part at a seam.

I rifled through the plates searching for a pair or six that fit together perfect to no avail. I messed around on the machines( I did leg extensions).

I worked my way up doing inverted hex dumbbell lifts in a Right, Left, R/IM, L/IM, R/RP, L/RP with a five count hold at the top up to 45. Then a few sets of wrist curls.

* I have no idea what I am doing.

Take care of the hands - Gripmas is almost here. Those plates are too wide!

11/13 I was still pretty exhausted so grippers went badly. I could not get my GHP6 (136)

DO Bend - 1/4 sqr

This morning I weighed 202 lbs. on my bathroom scale (it's in the bathroom). Is this scale close to being right? Do I need to think seriously about competing at Gripmas?

Today I improved my squat to 225 5x5, then misloaded standing press(simple math is tough), and then improved my Bench.

Pullups also went better than expected.

DO Axle deads 275 5 x 3, 295(video)x 1 Would this be a passable lift? I brush my legs on most lifts and it may not be considered full lockout?

After that I did a few holds on a homemade gripper machine @100 and worked up to 17.5 lbs for three singles on a homemade shallow hub.

I screwed around with some 8# sledge levers(not sure if I am doing these correct) then hit Inch trainer 120 5 x 1 and blockweight cleans 30 5x1

I tried to brace bend a piece of 3/8 sqr by 12 and could only get a few degrees out of it. I need to work on that.

• Like 1

That lift would pass easily.

• Like 1

Thanksgiving lifting.

Squat, worked up to 295 x 5 My hips are shooting up out of the hole. I need to work on that.

Grippers L - coc2.5 R Ghp6 5 x 1 Mms, elite/coc2 set practice 3 x 1

DO bending 1/4 sqr, 70D x 0 Rev. 60D x 2

Braced 12 In. Spike x 2

Turkey day bending:

Thanks for checking it out & Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 1

A few things I keep failing to mention:

From time to time whenever I feel real beat up, shoulder swollen, hip sore, low back, etc. I take curcumin and it helps. I went to purchase some recently and not only did the price go up but it was out of stock. They did however have a special on cissus. So I am giving that a shot & have been taking it for about a week with no effect so far. I will post updates if that changes.

I impulsively bought one of those gyro-exercisers. I have been using it about every night for a few minutes. Time will tell if it has any positive effect but it seems like a good warm-up tool.

And yeah, only two training days left til Gripmas!

Saturday is my last grip training day as well. I will do some stretching and walking during the week but no actual work sets on anything. It would be interesting to know what everyone does the week before a contest.

It would be interesting to know what everyone does the week before a contest.
Personally, I have never had a contest, strongman, grip, or games, where i showed up 100%. Taking a week off has never helped me at all. If I take a week off, I perform like I have never lifted before a day in my life. However, I am new to all these things and still learning technique with every workout.

For Gripmas, I will be lifting like normal but will only hit grip Sun. and Tues. I have been training grip on Thurs. as well but that is Grippers and unbraced bending. I will be dropping that day due to the risk of injury. My goals are not to be fatigued, get some good starting numbers, learn a bunch, and see everybody.

What does the curcummin do for you? I tried cissus before in conjunction with rehab exercises and stretches; my symptoms improved but I can't say for sure if it was the cissus or not.

A few things I keep failing to mention:

From time to time whenever I feel real beat up, shoulder swollen, hip sore, low back, etc. I take curcumin and it helps. I went to purchase some recently and not only did the price go up but it was out of stock. They did however have a special on cissus. So I am giving that a shot & have been taking it for about a week with no effect so far. I will post updates if that changes.

I impulsively bought one of those gyro-exercisers. I have been using it about every night for a few minutes. Time will tell if it has any positive effect but it seems like a good warm-up tool.

And yeah, only two training days left til Gripmas!

Cissus has been a life saver for me. Did you load it like creatine? The effects are much faster. I used a loading scheme I found on bodybuilding.com. I believe it was 3 pills 3 times a day. Now I'm taking three pills twice a day. I noticed a change in joint, arthritis, and tendon pain after 3 or 4 days. I went from being a daily ibuprofen user to not having used it for months. I think I stopped after day 5. I hope you have decent luck with it. Keep pushing.

What does the curcummin do for you
I get swelling/inflamation around injuries that is persistent. It "seems" to reduce the swelling/inflamation allowing the issue to heal. It doesn't work indefinitely. It might be a placebo effect but I don't care if it work.

After breakfast today I weighed 203

I haven't been sleeping so good and tend to roll onto my side. My left shoulder and arm felt awful. This has happened the last several days and I commenced stretching, rolling, and slathering in liniment to no avail. The discomfort took alot out of me, but I hit what I was supposed to.

Grippers-Vulcan worked up to 4/5 x 0, then 3/3 4 x 1

DO Axle Dead 320 2 x 1, 300 3 x1 I would have liked to hit 5 singles at 320 but hopefully I saved better pulls for Gripmas

Blockweights Hex 40 5 x 1 cleans, Hex 30 by face x 1 clean for fun

One more training day and only Six days til Gripmas!

I had planned to hit a half dozen singles stopping at my planned opener on 2hp. I worked up to my opener and it never came off the floor. Oh well, what good is a plan anyway.

The rest of my workout was slow and arduous as well...

Three days left til Gripmas!

You'll just have to bump it down a bit to get your confidence back and make steady jumps to the top. Don't over think it, at least you got your bad day out of the way!

The axle looks strong Josh!

• Like 1

I started right back into it today.

SQ 240 5 x 5

w/ new set up finger curls 60# 5 x 10

Presses w/ climber curl rev. 10 3 x 20 & reg. 20 3 x 20

Also made some 8# shot rotation attempts.

I recently got a bunch of new equipment and am looking forward to trying it all including the ridiculous Elite I got from CPW.post-23285-0-07203500-1417983583_thumb.jpost-23285-0-09058200-1417983634_thumb.j

You did good!

Some strong work bro!!!

Thank you for checking it out and the encouragement. I made some judgement errors in the order I attempted items. I should have allowed more time between the various dumbbell lifts and gotten them all. I probably should have at least attempted the 16 face lever. Next time...

I started right back into it today.

SQ 240 5 x 5

w/ new set up finger curls 60# 5 x 10

Presses w/ climber curl rev. 10 3 x 20 & reg. 20 3 x 20

Also made some 8# shot rotation attempts.

I recently got a bunch of new equipment and am looking forward to trying it all including the ridiculous Elite I got from CPW.attachicon.gif1207141143.jpgattachicon.gif1207141434.jpg

Teresa and I spent the day (still going) cleaning up the gym - looked like a bomb went off in there :). Vacuumed the floor - brought in the air hose and blew everything from the roof down off - vacuumed again - then scrubbed the chalk off the floor on our hands and knees - twice! Starting to come back together again - waiting on the floor to dry so I can get everything out of the little building and and back in place. It was worth every minute of it though.

I couldn't have worked out if I had wanted to - my old bones are tired. :)

Teresa and I spent the day (still going) cleaning up the gym - looked like a bomb went off in there . Vacuumed the floor - brought in the air hose and blew everything from the roof down off - vacuumed again - then scrubbed the chalk off the floor on our hands and knees - twice! Starting to come back together again - waiting on the floor to dry so I can get everything out of the little building and and back in place. It was worth every minute of it though.

I appreciate everything you do. I do events for the company I work for and I understand all the preparations and clean up that goes into making something successful. If you would ever need an extra set of hands before, during, or after, please ask. I would love to help and learn.

Thanks for everything that goes into running the contest, Chris. You take much more pride in your gym's appearance than I do. My gym NEEDS a good scrubbing too.

Thanks for everything that goes into running the contest, Chris. You take much more pride in your gym's appearance than I do. My gym NEEDS a good scrubbing too.

The side Teresa did looks a lot better than my side :).

• Like 1